Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S/PDIF options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: S/PDIF options Reply with quote

I'd like to take better advantage of the S/PDIF port on the Kronos. I have a few devices with S/PDIF, but they're all coaxial connectors instead of optical.

I've read a few posts indicating that converters work. Is anyone using one that could recommend something specific that works?

Is there any kind of option to get some kind of ADC/DAC box that is standalone (doesn't require a PC/Mac to function) that gives an analog breakout of a 2 channel in and out?
soundspossible

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at these:

Digital Coaxial (RCA) to S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical Audio Converter
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical to Digital Coaxial (RCA) Audio Converter
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2

I've been using them for a couple of years without any functional issues, although they're definitely very "cheap" feeling. The power cord fits loosely into the unit, so I have everything wrapped with velcro straps to make sure nothing comes loose.

Keep in mind that you'll need COAX -> TOSLINK if you want to use your other device (DAW, audio interface, etc.) as the clock source. If the Kronos is your clock source and you don't care about getting digital audio into the Kronos, then just TOSLINK-> COAX is fine.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundspossible wrote:
Take a look at these:

Digital Coaxial (RCA) to S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical Audio Converter
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical to Digital Coaxial (RCA) Audio Converter
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2

I've been using them for a couple of years without any functional issues, although they're definitely very "cheap" feeling. The power cord fits loosely into the unit, so I have everything wrapped with velcro straps to make sure nothing comes loose.

Keep in mind that you'll need COAX -> TOSLINK if you want to use your other device (DAW, audio interface, etc.) as the clock source. If the Kronos is your clock source and you don't care about getting digital audio into the Kronos, then just TOSLINK-> COAX is fine.

I was looking at the converters selling on Amazon and noticed that the specs matched Kronos at 24bit but there was a differenc at the kHz.
Kronos manual says 24bit 48kHz, but the coverters i saw were showing 24bit 192k HD audio.

I am wondering if there will be issues if the converter is rated for 24bit 192k HD sampling while Kronos is at 24bit 48kHz and my other device is a simple coaxial digital out with no bit or kHz rating in the manual.
My guess says the converter is able to handle any audio but will only process it up to its rated ability. So it would seem a comverter with a higher rating than kronos kHz sampling, would be better to have for its easier time handling the audio signal fed through it? The Coaxial digital out is not even rated and i have no idea what rating it could be other than its sound quality is not as good as kronos and i simply want to run it through kronos using S/PDIF on kronos rather than tandem with kronos in the same external mixer. Seems better to run it through kronos since i use the device as an extra drum track for Kronos. It is Boss Dr-880. with a single digital option for output over coaxial cable.

Also i have it Midi cabled up to Kronos for midi pattern exchanges. I am hoping the word clock settings related to using S/PDIF is not going to be a problem. I would like them connected for midi exchanges and also connected for digital audio exchange, all at the same time.
Would be nice because DR-880 has a bass/Guitar input that runs it through processesing and effects before going out over digital or analog. Would turn the single S/PDIF input of kronos into a dual input for drums, bass and guitars all coming through DR880 and each part having independent mix at DR880 controls.
It already multiplies my midi foot control inserts that can plug into DR880 and pass midi signal over 5 pin into Kronos.
4 foot control inputs on Dr880 and then the two on Kronos.
I hope i can get the digital audio and 5 pin midi into kronos and do away with the mixer and dual mono 1/4 inch cable connection i have been using.

S/PDIF digital audio clock settings and regular 5 pin midi clock settings won’t interfere while both devices are connected over midi cables and S/PDIF cables at the same time?
It will be my first time using S/PDIF.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Since I get old sounds in Digital Audio Tapes, I want to sample them in Kronos without any loss of quality.

So I've just ordered this converter
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01C6N3A7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will tell you if it works well.
number6uk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this one to link my Kronos to a Scarlet 6i6 interface. Works very well, it is bidirectional, so you can wire it both ways and then control the direction of the conversion with the switch on the device.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZHYH8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
soundspossible

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
I was looking at the converters selling on Amazon and noticed that the specs matched Kronos at 24bit but there was a differenc at the kHz. Kronos manual says 24bit 48kHz, but the coverters i saw were showing 24bit 192k HD audio.

I don't even know how the monoprice units are rated, but they work at 48kHz. Converters that go higher should also support lower rates, but it may vary by product.

19naia wrote:
S/PDIF digital audio clock settings and regular 5 pin midi clock settings won’t interfere while both devices are connected over midi cables and S/PDIF cables at the same time?

They're independent and serve different functions. MIDI clock (aka "time code") is the tempo of your music, while the system clock (or "word clock") synchronizes the stream of audio data between your devices to avoid errors (without which you get all sorts of awful sounding artifacts). Basically, you want the recording device to be taking a sample at the exact time and duration that the playing device is giving it. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I do MIDI (via 5-pin) and digital audio to/from my Kronos at the same time everyday, and it works fine.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundspossible wrote:

I don't even know how the monoprice units are rated, but they work at 48kHz. Converters that go higher should also support lower rates, but it may vary by product.

They're independent and serve different functions. MIDI clock (aka "time code") is the tempo of your music, while the system clock (or "word clock") synchronizes the stream of audio data between your devices to avoid errors (without which you get all sorts of awful sounding artifacts). Basically, you want the recording device to be taking a sample at the exact time and duration that the playing device is giving it. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I do MIDI (via 5-pin) and digital audio to/from my Kronos at the same time everyday, and it works fine.

Thanks for the good info. Looks like my Dr880 does not have any kind of setup for word clock. I think it is rolled into the general Sync settings under the midi page. So whatever i set as “sync” settings, end up being for midi clock and word clock.
Kronos has separate midi settings apart from the S/PDIF. So i can set S/PDIF in kronos to be internal or external.
I guess which device is doing word clock is not an issue for me. Only this one setup will be where i use S/PDIF. I can let kronos take word clock from DR880 or hope the DR880 “auto” sync setting will decide properly.

Will find out. Will be getting back to me Kronos in a few weeks after being away for over 4 months. Hope to have my order of digital audio converter waiting for me when i get back.
Sweat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another that is bi-directional. I bought mine used on ebay.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Co2MAudio--m-audio-co2
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the thoughts and links to products. I'm more interested in the input side, since the Kronos has quite a few analog outs, but only two analog ins.

I guess no one makes any kind of standalone optical S/PDIF to 1/4" analog interface, or at least my search-fu hasn't been able to track anything down. But maybe I can find another way to take advantage of the S/PDIF port.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.boomsbeat.com/articles/117301/20160928/top-best-5-digital-to-analog-audio-converter-for-sale-2016.htm

I just Ordered the Musou brand bi-directional digital Coaxial to TOSlink converter.
My airline miles just boght me a S/PDIF optical cable, no money paid for that.

I just hope the converter i paid for is not a counterfeit. $16usd for it is not too much but i at least hope it works and is a genuine Musou brand.
Paid for a Digital Coaxial cable to go with it and that brought my spending up to where i got free shipping.
Will find out after two weeks, if it all works for me.

There where lots of Coaxial and Optical S/PDIF to analog RCA converters for sale. And RCA adaptors to 1/4 inch are easy to get.
When converting from digital to analog, RCA is the best option for the analog side where the audio quality begins to drop. RCA is better than 1/4 inch even when passing analog signal. Tighter contacts with RCA and that is what voltage needs for better transfer across the connection point.

My mixer and my Studio monitors have RCA connection option.
I use 1/4 and XLR connectors with my music gear, but use the mixer RCA connection when i plug my TV audio in so i can use my Kronos monitors to watch TV with better audio to it.
Saves me from having fancy Home entertainment system expense and space clutter. Can even run it through Kronos for EQ and FX on the TV.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Hello,

Since I get old sounds in Digital Audio Tapes, I want to sample them in Kronos without any loss of quality.

So I've just ordered this converter
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01C6N3A7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will tell you if it works well.

Well, I just made a test and it works perfectly well. I've pluged my old Casio Digital Audio Tape, with a RCA digital output in the coaxial entry aof the converter, connected the toslink output into spdif input of the Kornos. All sounds perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: