Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton floppy disk to Kronos USB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cehowski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Triton floppy disk to Kronos USB Reply with quote

I have midi files on a 3.5 floppy from my Triton. I have a USB floppy drive. I am trying to get those files into my Kronos. When I try to connect the USB floppy to the Kronos, or to my pc, I get a "unknown format error". The floppy can be read by the Triton, when it is in the Triton drive. Puzzled as to why the format is invalid, when I connect the USB drive to the Kronos, or try to read the disk on my pc. Any tips? I figured if I could get them onto a USB stick I would be ok, but can't get that done!
Qtipcore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Triton floppy disk to Kronos USB Reply with quote

John Cehowski wrote:
I have midi files on a 3.5 floppy from my Triton. I have a USB floppy drive. . Any tips?!

Do you have a spare floppy disk?
I would try to format another floppy with the PC, and try to save the midi-files from the Triton on that disk.

Guessing it’s a Triton Classic?
John Cehowski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the reply Reply with quote

I do have some empty floppies. I will try your suggestion. I wasn't sure the Triton could read the DOS formatted disk. I never gave much thought to the disk format on the Triton.

Thanks
John Cehowski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that. It is a classic, and I do have extra floppies. If that would work, I assume I would have to load the sequences into the Triton, using the Triton formatted disk, and then insert the DOS formatted disk to save them again. Does that sound correct?

Thank you
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try an easy approach

Get your triton midi files over to your PC/mac.

Copy them to a USB stick

Insert USB stick to Kronos
John Cehowski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, that is what I was hoping/trying to do. The problem is that the pc can't read the Triton floppy, due to a format issue. So, I can't get the files to a USB stick. I was hoping that the USB floppy drive I have would be readable by the kronos's sub connection, but the Kronos can't read the USB/ floppy either.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the triton have a USB or other media Option?
So that you can load the floppy disk files into the triton and get them through another mode of media..

At worst case senario, you should be able to load the floppy files into triton and then hook up 5 pin midi cable to Kronos and do a midi file dump into Kronos and then sort out the files on kronos.
As long as the midi files are Standard midi files, they should be compatible with Kronos and then the files can be sorted out in Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Cehowski wrote:
Greg, that is what I was hoping/trying to do. The problem is that the pc can't read the Triton floppy, due to a format issue. So, I can't get the files to a USB stick. I was hoping that the USB floppy drive I have would be readable by the kronos's sub connection, but the Kronos can't read the USB/ floppy either.

I struggled with a similar issue 10-15 yrs ago.

I used 2 different Zip Disks; 1 was SCSI, other was USB.

My Triton had SCSI.

The Zip disks were interchangeable.

This is not practical today.

19naia's solution is definitely worth a try.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my Roland XP-80 broke down I managed to transfer all files from floppies to computer. Just like you I used (borrowed) USB floppy drive, however it was connected to Mac ( running 10.7 Lion OS )
stevewahl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Triton use an MS-DOS compatable format on its floppy disks? It wasn’t a given that you could read and write floppies from one kind of system to another in those days. PC’s, Macs, and Amigas all had their own floppy disk format, incompatible with each other. And hardware devices like synths often chose their own format as well. My Ensoniq VFX SD required special utilities if you wanted to read or write its floppies from a PC. I don’t know for certain what the situation is for a Triton. But if the floppy format wasn’t MS-DOS compatible, you’d at least need a translation program on the computer, and it might not even be possible from a USB drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: