Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono or stereo cables?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elastic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Mono or stereo cables? Reply with quote

I've often wondered, mono or stereo cables? - does it matter when buying the patch cables for sync in / sync out with the SQ1?

Thanks
slug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen that stereo cables work best, the Volca Beats in particular can struggle with mono cable.
jeftones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the volcas send a split dual mono signal from the headphone jack. If you use a mono cable with them you loose half of the signal and need to use a lot of gain on the signal which will make it noisy.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeftones wrote:
the volcas send a split dual mono signal from the headphone jack. If you use a mono cable with them you loose half of the signal and need to use a lot of gain on the signal which will make it noisy.

seriously? but when your stereo cable goes into stereo adaptor and into mono channel of mixer (here behringer xenyx1202), it only works if you pull the jack halfway out so only tip is connecting ... Confused have to check if those are balanced/unbalanced dual connectors. it's quite easy to Null the signal with this output type.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
Ive seen that stereo cables work best, the Volca Beats in particular can struggle with mono cable.

They dead-set turn to pus with a mono cable. The kick really suffers. Same with trs->ts cables. Only thing for it is to use a trs breakout cable. Hosa make a decent one (CMP-159)
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for a laugh, here's cabling for 6 volcas Very Happy

[/img]
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeftones wrote:

Yeah! Especially the Beats(which is gainstaged low) loose a lot.
I think if you don't want use so much input on your audio interface the best is buy a mixer where you use 3.5 to splitted 1/4 jack and use the stereo output from the mixer in 2 input of your audio interface.
If you don't have multiple volca or you like to process in your computer separately you have to use 2 input for each volca. Behringer does really ok audio interface with a lot of input, they have insert so you can apply external effect, midi in and out(so you can sequence your volcas), multiple output if you like to check your mix on other speakers or for feedback staff.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so what about summing 2 mono channels to 1 mono channel?
i have read that in-line resistors would do the job - one on each channel, and then you can merge the 2 into 1.

i've seen suggestions of 470 ohm or 10k.
any knowledge on this? (there's a youtube vid somewhere)

the other thing i thought about today would be to use stereo minijack to 2x RCA, which are very common, and you always end up with too many of them.

and then make a little patchbay box - i found a strip of 8x RCA female connectors in my junk box. that would do for 4 volcas. then have mono 1/4" outputs, and in-between, have your resistors. maybe hack in some insert points or do something more exotic.
? (idea...)
would the resistors cut down signal strength? also saw diodes suggested.
jeftones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Hosa cable that is "1/8 TRS to 1/4 TS". I utilized this cable for by volca keys and volca beat. For the other two volcas i have, the sample and the fm, i use those insert style cable.

some individuals are worried about there being no resistor on the TRS to TS cable \, which is a valid concern, but i have experienced no issues and have been utilizing that specific style of cable for the volcas for 3ish years.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeftones wrote:
There is a Hosa cable that is "1/8 TRS to 1/4 TS". I utilized this cable for by volca keys and volca beat. For the other two volcas i have, the sample and the fm, i use those insert style cable.

some individuals are worried about there being no resistor on the TRS to TS cable \, which is a valid concern, but i have experienced no issues and have been utilizing that specific style of cable for the volcas for 3ish years.

Did you try with 1/8 TRS to 2 1/4 TS? I noticed the signal is hotter so I have to turn my audio interface knobs quite a lot which is good.
It could probably be that my 1/8 TRS to 1/4 TS is not good that's why I'm asking so I can easily hook one cable.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeftones wrote:

i'm not sure what the principle is here, but a passive mixer is not just signal wires joined together with a common ground. i was wondering if it was something more complex than just a resistor.

i don't want to use TRS to 2 mono ('insert cable') because i only want to use 1 mono channel.

edit: OP was talking about the sync cable btw. we're onto audio output now.
jeftones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoNuff wrote:
jeftones wrote:

i'm not sure what the principle is here, but a passive mixer is not just signal wires joined together with a common ground. i was wondering if it was something more complex than just a resistor.

i don't want to use TRS to 2 mono ('insert cable') because i only want to use 1 mono channel.

edit: OP was talking about the sync cable btw. we're onto audio output now.

i know what op was talking about but the conversation about volca audio cables has spread across several threads at this point, its hard to keep track of which thread is being replied to. The first cable i mentioned in my post is not a trs to 2 mono. it is a trs to interconnected mono. takes up a single channel.

the following is an often referenced article on why a resistor is needed for summing in stereo to mono cables if you need a better understanding of the principle behind it.

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

as i stated i use the interconnected hosa cable for 2 of my volcas and as far as i recall they have no resistor in them. I have not had any issues with my volcas or my mixer while using them for the last three years.

also for sync a trs-trs seems to work the best. probably why the volcas ship with the little trs to trs cable.

Last edited by jeftones on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
jeftones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also another good article about stereo to mono summing

http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/624
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the links Jeftones.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeftones wrote:
also another good article about stereo to mono summing

http://silentsky.net/wordpress/archives/624

this is really good, nice one Cool

some disparity with that 1st vid (that i saw before posting).
i have a feeling your TRS to TS cables may just be sending one side (?).
how else could it be? unless there are some resistors in the monojack, which i somehow doubt.

i would definitely go along with the impedance rules on this. was getting mixed up between signal level and impedance maybe (or is it the same thing?) - so: low impedance must go to high impedance. fairly easy to remember. i'd already heard that Y cables used the wrong way round were a bad idea. worth bearing in mind that volcas are pretty robust: i accidentally ran my Keys on the wrong power adapter one day for an hour or so and nothing happened to it : - /
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: