Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg pa1000 vs Roland E-A7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaximK777

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM - many thanks for the answer! Please tell me - if you compare the sounds of the instruments, the timbres of Roland E-A7 and Korg pa1000 - whose sounds are better? Thank you!
MaximK777

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM - thank you! Please tell me - and the sound quality when recording from the Korg synthesizer to the USB carrier and - when recording to a sound card in wav format - is there a difference in hearing, and a big difference? Thank!
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximK777 wrote:
DonM - many thanks for the answer! Please tell me - if you compare the sounds of the instruments, the timbres of Roland E-A7 and Korg pa1000 - whose sounds are better? Thank you!

I use mostly guitar, piano, sax, organ, fiddle...They are very good on both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the Roland. It may be because of the way they do the OTS setups. Both are just fine.
Where the Korgs really shine is the ease of operation in real time, the screen, the vocal processor and harmonizer...
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaximK777 wrote:
DonM - thank you! Please tell me - and the sound quality when recording from the Korg synthesizer to the USB carrier and - when recording to a sound card in wav format - is there a difference in hearing, and a big difference? Thank!

Only time I've used the onboard recorders is to test them, but if the levels are properly set, I don't hear any difference in quality, if you use the same format.
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a post that Diki, the administrator, made on Roland forum recently.
Nobody knows more about Roland arrangers than he does.

"To be honest, I find it easier and more convenient to record to either the computer, if home, or a portable recorder if at work.

The problem with recording to the Song Recorder is that it very much depends on how clean and empty your stick is. My gig USB stick has thousands of SMF's, Styles, Mp3's etc., and it struggles to get a clean recording to .wav without dropouts. A stick with much less on it might be less prone to dropouts, but to be sure and safe, I think it's better to record to something like a little Zoom pocket recorder at your gig, and to a computer at home, as they offer FAR more control than the built-in, one-shot audio recorder in the arranger.

I like to use the headphones out to record to and the main outs to the PA when recording my gig.

The main issue recording on the BK series was, you had to start at the beginning and do the entire take perfectly all the way to the end. No way to punch in on a later section, etc..

All in all, if you are posting here, you already have a computer that is FAR better as a recorder than the built-in recorder in the arranger..!

And no, the E-A7 is still a current keyboard in Roland's line-up. It has a VERY different architecture to the BK series, so expecting everything from the BK's to still be the same isn't really realistic."
MaximK777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonM - thank you very much, thank you! You have written to me in great detail! Can I ask you another question? What is your opinion on the Yamaha psr s975 synthesizer? Could you compare this Yamaha with your Korg and your Roland? Thank you very much!
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played 975, but I do have a PSR S970 and there is very little difference in those two models.
The PSR has some really good sounds, particularly guitars. There are many thousands of third party styles available.
It is light in weight, fairly bulky in size.
It basically sounds like every other Yamaha arranger ever made. The best sounding styles are the few using audio drums.
The regular midi drums are slightly better than previous models, but still not remotely approaching the Korg or Roland, or Ketron drums.
The operating system is basically unchanged for many generations. It is difficult to learn and most functions require a number of button pushes.
The vocal processor is good; the vocal harmonizer is not. It is bad. It can be edited to be passable but does not get anywhere near the quality of Korg's T.C. Helicon processors.
There are two programmable foot switches.
I compare the Yamaha sound to be more like a polished recording, a CD, while the other brands are more live-sounding, like you would hear from a band.
It's a matter of choice.
I know all of these arrangers fairly completely, after playing them since they were invented. it's really a matter of what suits your needs. There are no wrong choices any more. They all sound very good.
My favorite of all time is the Korg PA4X. I spent quite a lot of time with the new Yamaha Genos, and would not consider trading even for my 4X, much less the thousand or more dollars difference in prices.
Right now my second choice is the Roland EA7. There are a lot features and a lot of technology built into this low-cost arranger. Yes there are some things missing, such as vocal harmony and text display, but there is a lot to like as well.
Again, all good choices, and these are just my opinions.
But, you asked! Smile
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA1000 advantages over E-A7 include

* better action, with aftertouch
* touchscreen, with tilt
* drawbar organ emulation
* vocal processor/harmonizer
* probably better speaker system
* internal power supply
* 300 mb compressed (equiv. 600 mb linear) sample memory, vs. 128 linear in Roland

though as diegodure said, the closer-to-E-A7 model is the PA700, which is lesser in many of those same areas.

E-A7 has some advantages of its own, too, including the hard sliders and the extra pedal control.
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
PA1000 advantages over E-A7 include

* better action, with aftertouch
* touchscreen, with tilt
* drawbar organ emulation
* vocal processor/harmonizer
* probably better speaker system
* internal power supply
* 300 mb compressed (equiv. 600 mb linear) sample memory, vs. 128 linear in Roland

though as diegodure said, the closer-to-E-A7 model is the PA700, which is lesser in many of those same areas.

E-A7 has some advantages of its own, too, including the hard sliders and the extra pedal control.

I agree with all that, except the part about the key action. My old fingers appreciate the lightest touch possible! Smile Never was a piano player and prefer more of an organ touch.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a Roland E-09 for over 10 years and many years in my nursing home music ministry. I was very happy with it. Loved it so much, I bought another one as a backup and replaced the buttons and the screen in both of them. It was a no-frills arranger that gave me the sounds I wanted.

I upgraded to the Korg PA700 in September 2017 and have never looked back. I will be getting another PA700 as a backup for my original PA700 because I use it daily and perform at least 40-50 times a month.

I know that it was a major step up from the E-09. I had also, about 10 years ago, bouht a Korg PA500 and ended up selling it because I did not like it much.

The PA700 has everything that I need in an arranger for not only the nursing home ministry, but also as a main board in bands, and it is the main board I use in my solo gigs (I have put the MP3 soundbeds onto a MicroSD card that is stored inside the PA700. I also have a keytar that I hook into the PA700 for my original solo music.

If you need the vocal harmony functions, then the PA1000 is the way to go. If not, then the PA700 may fit your needs.

Shortly after I got the PA700, I bought a Roland BK-5 to use as a backup for the PA700, but it was not good at all for my needs and recently sold it so I can have the extra $$ for another PA700.

I researched heavily before getting the PA700 and felt that the Korg had the best sound over everyone else (at least in that price range).

The Yamaha stuff is over-processed in its sound (to my ears) and sounds very doctored. The Roland offerings are also very processed (again, to my ears) and have pretty dated sounds.

If anything, the Korg almost sounds a bit thin compared to the processed sounds of the others, but if you tailor the EQ, Limiter, and adjust the Reverb level on the PA700 (add a bit more Reverb), then the unit comes to life.

If I sound like a Fanboy, I suppose that I might be...it gives me more than I need and I am a daily user of the unit. It performs well over its price range and gives a sound that surpasses the others...

Here is an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEEZvbg1q90

The soundbed track is actually from a Korg M50, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Kross, and a couple of other synths in my studio. The vocal lead and synth lead track are the PA700. I dumped the MP3 into the PA700 and recorded the MP3 above (320K) live in the PA700 and basically played over the soundbed as it was recording. I love the results.

My only real gripe is that the PA series have not allowed for WAV recording; it only does MP3 recording (albeit up to 320kbps). The touch screen is fast and works well. I've never had a problem with mine at all and I love it.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
If you need the vocal harmony functions, then the PA1000 is the way to go. If not, then the PA700 may fit your needs.

Other notable differences:
* more than double the sample memory
* beefier sound system
* tilt screen
* upgraded action
* aftertouch

But if you don't need any of those things, the PA700 is a good value.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Harry.

Yamaha is about marketing, saturate the market with low cost models, and get users hooked to the brand.

If anyone actually plays a PA 700 back to back with a S775 or a PA1000 back to back with an S975 then comparing build and materials quality in both cases Korg is streets ahead.

Then the subjective sound test comparison.

For me the Korgs were richer with a more pleasing tone.

Yamahas more shrill in high frequencies and fairly dull.

Weak side of Korg, pianos, solved by adding Reubens patch.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles -

I would have to agree with your reply.

It is kind of sad when a company hypes their instrument to the point that it seems that the sounds in the demo are unattainable to recreate with one's own song creations.

While the Korg Demos are really good as well, a user can seem to get close with their own creations.

I also know that when creating/editing MIDI files, the process with Korg is much easier and when using the factory sounds, the results are very good. There are many musicians who hear the MIDI files that I use and are blown away by the quality of the board.

Another member pointed out the sound system differences between the PA700 and the PA1000. They are correct, but it may be the fact that the PA1000 has a woofer/tweeter system vs. the single speaker per side combo that the PA700 has more than the power increase itself. I am pleased with the system on the PA700 personally and it serves me well.

The Korg PA boards have always had a more organic sound to them, more so than the offerings from other competitors. With that said, the organic sound can be a bit thin, but I would rather add stuff to make it more full than try to take artifacts away to try to attain what the Korg already has.

The Songbook feature also works well for me and while it is a bit clunky, it really does work well. A third party editor for the Songbook would be a welcome feature (well, at least one that doesn't cost money...).

I also agree that with the piano sounds from Rueben. Install those, and your Korg PA will easily match of surpass the others. I have the previous version of his piano sounds installed, as well as a Dopamine set, in addition to my own DX EP creations (and other various sounds that I made) and my Korg has almost everything I need.

With regard to violin and oboe sounds, I have a hard time finding ANYTHING that can compare with my decades-old Ensoniq sounds for those instruments...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Songbook Editor available version 3 is compatible with the Pa700 up. It's free to download from Korg.
TedS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingering on the Korg is a little less convenient for the pop & rock tunes I like to play...
Roland recognizes the third below the root as a minor chord. Example: play Eb-C. Roland -> E minor (very common and useful.) Korg -> Eb6 (more rare.)

With Bass Inversion enabled...
Roland will recognize E-C as C/E (C on E bass.) This is a very common chord in pop music, and it's easy to pick out the two notes bass and root. Korg acknowledges E-C as E#5 (E aug.) Not nearly as useful; augmented chords seldom appear in the music I play.
Roland will recognize G-C as C/G (C on G bass.) Korg plays Gsus4. To get C/G on a Korg, you also have to play the E above C, which sometimes requires moving your whole hand to reach it.

If you look at Korg's own documentation going all the way back to the i30, there is no mention of a two-finger shortcut for augmented chords. It's as if the programmers got carried away trying to create a two-finger shortcut for every "type" of chord. The problem is, they made things harder for the player instead of easier. By trying to provide shortcuts for more different chord types, they denied us the option to play more common types in different inversions, which results in more hand movement, and for me, more mistakes!

Bottom line, Roland allows me to play more songs with fewer keys pressed, and less hand movement.
From what I can tell, the now-defunct GEM (Generalmusic) used exactly the same fingering as Roland. Casio Fingered 1 is also just like Roland, only better because they also recognize [1+5] as an open fifth ("power chord"), and [1+8] as a Unison. Progress!

I think it would be great if Korg gave us the option to customize the chord recognition. But their system hasn't changed since the 1990s. I'm used to the Roland / GEM / Casio system, and with some songs committed to muscle memory, I'm not inclined to change now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: