Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is bank/program handling so retarded?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Why is bank/program handling so retarded? Reply with quote

I own the Korg Kronos X for a couple of months now and I love the sound so much. I just can’t undestand why loading and organizing programs is so retarded on this amazing machine. I purchased a lot of EXs libraries and I wanna make a combi using sounds from different libraries. The thing is that these libraries get loaded into U-G bank therefore overwriting previously loaded programs ( which I already use in my currently making combi). . I tried moving it to a different bank as i don’t care about the combos of those Programms. I understood that moving programs will break the combos. I want to make my own so it’s fine. But I can not copy or move. I tried saving a the whole U-G to a USB then load it back into UU-AA.. but it says no readable data.

Why the heck can’t I just do load append like on the extreme and it will just be there?? This is the only dealbreaker for me. I mean being able to organize sounds is the most important thing for me.

Sad
Please help!!

Vivi
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't do 'try as you go ' on Kronos

Its 8 times more involved than your old Extreme

When you face complexity, its better to crack the books and get knowledge, and map it out. Before you jump in.

If you study it, the banks and loading has limitations. 7 years ago , it seemed ok.

Now we have 200 3rd party sample libs to play with. 7 yrs ago we have
a dozen or 2.

And Korg has not solved this limitation in 7 yrs.

Some good news- I think there are some PC tools to help you with the challenge.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four freeware will help you achieve all that and more :

- Korg Editor
- PCG Tools
- Tidy Kronos
- Onksor
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/Y-QtAyf98nQ

Pay close attention to every step of the video. I think this is the video i used to get a grasp on the matter.
I think i recall a part about dialogue box for selecting which combi or program bank you want to load into.
Default is UUG/UG but the disk mode dialogue box lists that with the option to change it.
Maybe you saw that box of info but did not realize it was possible to touch the bank listed and have it open a screen of all the other banks for custom loading options.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is bank/program handling so retarded? Reply with quote

vivi wrote:
I understood that moving programs will break the combos. I want to make my own so it’s fine. But I can not copy or move. I tried saving a the whole U-G to a USB then load it back into UU-AA.. but it says no readable data.

Why the heck can’t I just do load append like on the extreme and it will just be there?? This is the only dealbreaker for me. I mean being able to organize sounds is the most important thing for me.

You can copy any bank to any bank destination.

However, on Kronos, there are two types of banks:

HD-1

A ROMpler type bank, which contains samples (horns, strings, guitars, drums, etc.)

EXi
This is a synth engine bank, ie AL-1, MS-20, PolySix, STR-1, CX-3, MOD-7, EP-1. What has started some confusion is the inclusion of SGX-1/2 pianos. Those should be samples in the ROMpler, right? Well, SGX uses modelling, along with samples, so it is an EXi engine. But, the usual rule of thumb is, if it is sample based, it is an HD-1 program.......except for SGX pianos. Got it?

You mention "append." The problem you might be running into is that you are trying to save HD-1 programs into an EXi bank, or vice versa. Keep note of whether it is an HD-1 or EXi bank. You can also change the bank:

Go to GLOBAL - BASIC page. From the dropdown menu, select SET PROGRAM BANK TYPE. That's it; select HD-1 (samples) or EXi (synth/modelling).

Last edited by Mike Conway on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
timg11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a long thread on this topic a few years ago.

In that thread, I wrote and posted a detailed proposal for an implementation approach that would maintain compatibility with PCGs and MIDI sysex. There are two options, one yielding 70 program banks, and one for 128 program banks.

From the pace of updates, I suspect the Kronos is finished in terms of development. Maybe someday there will be a successor instrument that will take a more modern approach to data storage.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could definitely be easier!

There's plenty of resources on the web and these forums discussing some different techniques for managing the banks. If you're just loading Programs, it's pretty easy to manage on the Kronos directly, but if you're working with Drumkits, Wave Sequences or Combis, it's definitely easier to use either the Kronos Editor or PCG Tools.

After many years, my technique is simple: most of the commercial libraries load into the same Program/Combi/Wave Sequence banks as one another, so I keep these clear for loading and trying new libraries. When I buy a library, I load it as per normal, then use the editor to consolidate them into the other banks. Most of the time, the libraries don't use all the Wave Sequence or Program slots in a bank, so it's easy to condense them down.

Once I've done that - and this bit is really useful - I save my PCG. I can then load Programs as needed, but always keep the necessary wave sequences loaded with the new, corrected references. i find this works really well for my needs.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: