Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global control of volume of right hand 1,2 and 3.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Global control of volume of right hand 1,2 and 3. Reply with quote

I have the volumes of right hand 1,2 and 3 chained together so that I can adjust the volume by moving the Upper 1 slider.

I use the instrument with midi and mp3 files (as well as styles) - when playing a midi file I turn off the lead (I have the default channel 4 set to turn off automatically) so that I can solo with my right hand or my voice.

When I turn on the PA4x, the right-hand sounds (upper 1,2 and 3) are too loud compared to the rest of the keyboard. As a solution, I have succeeded in lowering the tenor sax and saving it using the "My Settings" button.

Selecting another sound from any sound bank results in my having to use the slider to lower its volume. I guess I could custom tailor each upper sound I use and save each one under "My Settings" but that seems rather cumbersome. I would not mind if I had to raise the volumes of all the voice patches. Since they start off too loud when chosen, it can be startling for my audience and I (unless I remember to move the Upper 1 slider first to adjust them).

My question: is there a way to globally lower the volume of Upper 1,2 and 3 globally so that all lead instruments (upper 1,2 and 3) do not start off too loud?

Currently, I use the balance knob to adjust the sound of the midi or mp3 as they tend to vary so any solution involving changing the function of that knob would not work for me.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me resolving this.
Snoopy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

if you use the songbook it would be much easier...

One entry ( including 4 keyboard sets ) for each song, the volumes are stored into the songbook Wink

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response Snoopy. Your solution will not work for me. I don't work with setlists. My library contains over 100,000 midis,kars and CDG files. Some are variations of a single title. I have them arranged by decade and within decades, by artists. I also have separate artist folders for artists whose careers spanned longer time periods i.e.Sinatra,Streisand etc. I have separate world,Latin and jazz folders. My sets are made on the fly and depend on the crowd, and requests. A songbook would not work for the way I perform. Thanks again for your suggestion.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Global control of volume of right hand 1,2 and 3. Reply with quote

bobeld@aol.com wrote:
... when playing a midi file I turn off the lead ... I can solo with my right hand or my voice ... library contains over 100,000 midis,kars and CDG files ..

If using SMFs with turned off Leads to be soloed with right hand voices, it is always the most urgent task to bring the volume of the Midis to a common level.
Especially if you have 100,000 with different volume levels of them in the library, that is of course an extensive task afterwards.

bobeld@aol.com wrote:
.. I use the balance knob to adjust the sound of the midi or mp3 as they tend to vary so any solution involving changing the function of that knob would not work for me ..

Therefore, any new SMF (or MP3) that is integrated into its library you should normalize to a common level. That would be the most sensible procedure, because then your midi or mp3 would not tend to vary and it would not be necessary you wouldn't be necessary to use the balance knob for adjusting each single sound separately.

If SMFs/MP3s are "normalized" to approximate common levels it is no sensible procedure to set global controls of volume for right-hand sounds, not to be to loud compared to the rest of the keyboard. Then also a new keyboard (of next generation) does not cause any problems, because such settings are easy to realize with every keyboard.
Of course also the settings of presets/memories/registers of a keyboard to each other should be programmed without extreme volume differences, because otherwise not even playing without MIDI/MP3 is working satisfactorily.

But after your SMFs have different levels of volume, of course it is too cumbersome moving any of the upper sliders to proportionally changing the volume of all the upper sounds. The solution you are looking for - global common upper volume - of Pa4x upper sounds can be set linking the upper sound volume sliders in the Mixing page, to proportionally change all upper sounds with a single slider, depending on whether upper volume checkbox is on or off. But seems to be the same as your slider with volumes of right hand 1,2 and 3 you chained together - so that really is no solution as long you have no common volume levels of SMF/MP3.
In the long run of course every new SMF/MP3 should be prepared for a common reasonable volume level. For MP3 There is plenty of software (Mp3gain, WxMP3Gain), but for SMFs I know only "Midivol" which is suitable for changing volume of a midi song to an average/maximum volume level.

This comes from Guenther Nagler (www.gnmidi.com) and was originally an experiment to prove that SMF overall volumes depend on selected volume on channel and selected expression and selected velocity on played note. Today setting "common volume" is an integrated feature of Standard MIDI player in GNMIDI. Midivol as EXE-file on DOS-level was used equally efficiently, also if it is not as easy to use as graphics-oriented software - but it works great if one don't mind command-line tools!

So it would be better not to look for "Global control of volume of right hand 1,2 and 3" but for normalizing MIDI/MP3 songs to an average/maximum volume level.

MIDI velocity, expression, volume: https://www.audio-forums.com/threads/midi-velicity-expression-volume-linear-or-log.55657/

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siebenhirter,
Thank you for your response. Normalizing the volume of all songs (midi and mp3) will not accomplish what I want.

I want the starting volume of all the leads (patches) to be lower than it is. I know that I can set the starting volume of any particular patch (when I turn on the instrument) by saving it in My Settings - and I did that with a tenor sax patch. However, choosing another patch results in the lead sound being too loud so that it has to be adjusted each time using the slider. (I have assigned slider 8 to do the job).
With all the patches available on the Pa4x, it would be unwieldy to adjust and save all of them in My Settings. If all patches started off with volumes too low, I would not mind as much.
I was hoping for a global solution so that when I power on the instrument, all lead sounds are proportionately lower in volume. I think that altering that setting must be an option but I have not found out how to accomplish that.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
400nvd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it possible to use a pedal to achieve what you want?
bobeld@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't explored the possibility of using a pedal. It would free my hands while playing. But I would have to remember to adjust the pedal volume every time I choose a new right hand sound just as I do now using the slider.

I'd rather have all the 1,2, and 3 sounds globally lower when I turn on the Pa4x and each time I change to a different voice. It sounds so simple to have a better balance between the styles,songs and mp3s and the lead voices, and yet I haven't found a way to achieve that.

If I could get it to work the other way, (lead sounds starting off too low), that would be an acceptable workaround. I could then use the slider (or a pedal) to raise the volume of the lead voice.

Thanks again for your suggestion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: