Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos with VST Effects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Kronos with VST Effects Reply with quote

Hello,

I would want to send Kronos signal (from Prog, Combi or Seq) into some VST Effects I have in my PC, and then bring the signal back to Kronos (through USB Audio input or Analog entries.

I've spent some hours trying this but it didn't work. I've used one vst host (Cantabile) and DAWs but never succeed in good setting software settings.

I like Kronos inner effects but there are some VST effects I would like to add. And don't want to use a DAW as sequencer (want to use Kronos Sequencer), but only as a VST host.

So, the goal is to be able to send one Kronos track to VST effects entry and bring the signal back in Kronos through Audio In interface (if it's digital entry it's better, but no matter if it's analog entry).

Thank very much if you could give me some solutions.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would do would be this : I would record the kronos track in the DAW with the vst effect then, after, I would place tis track (with vst effect) into one of the audio track of the Kronos sequencer. The problem is that the Kronos sequencer has only 8 stereo audio tracks. And often the vst effects are made to be recorded in stereo. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think you can make what you ask in real time, at the same time.
It's why I use sometimes the sequencer of my DAW. You can make everything you want with. Better and worse things too ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
The only thing I would do would be this : I would record the kronos track in the DAW with the vst effect then, after, I would place tis track (with vst effect) into one of the audio track of the Kronos sequencer. The problem is that the Kronos sequencer has only 8 stereo audio tracks. And often the vst effects are made to be recorded in stereo. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think you can make what you ask in real time, at the same time.
It's why I use sometimes the sequencer of my DAW. You can make everything you want with. Better and worse things too ! Very Happy

Thank you, I could do that, indeed.

When I did a test, it created a kind of infinite feedback : the audio L/R was sent by USB Audio to the VST effects then back in Audio USB In, but resent out by USB audio out, and so on, as a feedback loop.

So, as you said, I don't see how to avoid this feedback and so use it in real time.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liviou2004,

For the tracks that you want to process externally, route them to the Kronos outputs 1&2, rather than L&R. Then plug the cables from 1&2 into your audio interface and process them with your VST. Then route the output from the audio interface into the Kronos Inputs 1&2 and set those inputs to go to the main L & R bus.

The reason you get feedback when using the Kronos USB audio is that this the USB audio only has a single stereo in / out. So you then get Kronos Out -> VST -> Kronos In -> Kronos Out, and that doesn't so good Smile

By using 1&2 as the "effect send", you're sending a clean unprocessed signal out of the Kronos and since the "effect return" goes to the Kronos L&R, it doesn't form a loop and it'll come out ok.

Now, you can get this to work with the Kronos USB audio too, but that means that you can't use the headphone jack (as that is tied to the master L&R) and you will have to use Kronos 1&2 as your main output.

Alternatively.. Do you need the return from the computer back into the Kronos? If you have an external mixer or multiple stereo inputs on the audio interface on the computer you're set that way..
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gunnar, thank you very much for your answer.

Gunnar wrote:
For the tracks that you want to process externally, route them to the Kronos outputs 1&2, rather than L&R. Then plug the cables from 1&2 into your audio interface and process them with your VST. Then route the output from the audio interface into the Kronos Inputs 1&2 and set those inputs to go to the main L & R bus.

Yes. For now I tried without an external audio interface (since I don't have one), but perharps I will be obliged to buy one. So I tried to keep a full digital flow.

Gunnar wrote:
The reason you get feedback when using the Kronos USB audio is that this the USB audio only has a single stereo in / out. So you then get Kronos Out -> VST -> Kronos In -> Kronos Out, and that doesn't so good Smile

Yes, you're right : not good at all for my ears !!!

Gunnar wrote:
Now, you can get this to work with the Kronos USB audio too, but that means that you can't use the headphone jack (as that is tied to the master L&R) and you will have to use Kronos 1&2 as your main output.

That's a good idea. But if I do that, I can't use MFX and TFX, I think ? The both output are sent to L/R ?

Gunnar wrote:
Alternatively.. Do you need the return from the computer back into the Kronos?

Yes, it's my initial purpose : considering my PC with VST effects as an external effects unit only.
I know it's possible and simple with a real hardware effects unit (as Strymon Bigsky for example), using 1/2 Kronos outputs and Analog entry, as you said before.
But I'm just trying to do the same in a full digital audio flow. But if it's not possible, it's not serious !

Finally, if I don't want to loose MFX and TFX, the simplest way would to buy an audio interface.

Thank you again, Gunnar.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

Gunnar wrote:

That's a good idea. But if I do that, I can't use MFX and TFX, I think ? The both output are sent to L/R ?

You are absolutely right, I forgot about those.. You'll only be able to do MFX / TFX on the signal going into the computer, which is not really where you want to run it..

--

Due to the single stereo channel setup of the USB audio, I don't see how it can work like you want with an all digital path. It would have worked if the USB audio had had 6 separate outputs as well, but alas..

cheers,
Gunnar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: