Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos USB vs Thunderbolt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the constructive responses and useful information.

I’ve been having some concerns about using the Kronos audio line output sources for the Firewire and Thunderbolt route.
(Whereas the usb route remains within the digital domain).
Nothing wrong with this method of course, several interfaces have similar set ups and in practice satisfies many users.

A valid point about any process or conversion will alter the sound to a certain degree, noise or colourisation etc.
I was thinking that the spdif source may be “better” than an analogue one, even when there will be some added process with a Thunderbolt
interface.

Current interfaces that can provide this seem to be at a high cost.
However,I am considering two models,which are the only ones I’ve found so far that may just be affordable.
Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre Thunderbolt and a Zoom Tac 8.

Got into a muddle while reading the manuals regarding spdif,Tosslink,optical connections.
My understanding is….
Kronos uses a Tosslink connector which is a spdif specification.(according the the manual).

The Focusrite accepts a Tosslink,(named Optical Input)which I’m assuming would be a direct connection with a Kronos.
Also an spdif via rca connectors.

The Zoom Tac 8 has spdif connections via coaxial.
This is where I’m stumped with how to connect it to a Kronos.
A need for a conversion unit would be required, which may mean another added process and perhaps defeat the desired intention.
There are another pair of optical connections available, but they’re for adat…apparently.

Meanwhile,I shall try an experiment with my older iMac which has spdif input available,(via an adaptor) connected directly to the Kronos,just to find out how it performs etc.
I doubt the older iMac will become my main daw though, but the test will hopefully provide some idea about spdif connectivity.

Forgive me for dragging this topic out….I’m trying to learn something new and appreciate all responses.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
The Focusrite accepts a Tosslink,(named Optical Input)which I’m assuming would be a direct connection with a Kronos.

yes. direct.
Just to let you know that Korg's Tosslink works PERFECTLY with MOTU ( Focusrite should be no different)
I use Hosa OPM-303 Toslink to Same cable

Last edited by Poseidon on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Gunnar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedro5 wrote:
Also an spdif via rca connectors.

I had interpreted from the manual that the "optical in" on the FocusRite Claretts was only for ADAT, but it turns out this is configurable from the FocusRite Control Center.

From the manual:

"These signals are normally connected at the dedicated RCA (phono) SPDIF IN and OUT connectors on the rear panel, but to accommodate some digital audio equipment which only has S/PDIF inputs or outputs on an optical TOSLINK connector, it is possible to reassign the OPTICAL IN and OPTICAL OUT ports to handle the S/PDIF signals instead of the ADAT signals they are normally used for. In this case, the Clarett will not be able to accept or output 8-channel ADAT format signals."

So that means optical transmission is indeed possible from Kronos to the Clarett. I'll go pick up a cable and try that out for myself in the near future
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: