Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos - disappointment...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magname wrote:
Hello,
Power is never sufficient, but can't we expect today Korg to issue a 4 cores CPU unit that will just double the power for a very current consumer CPU ?
Two cores today is quite old. Not seems to be a big deal for Korg to update to this without exploding the cost in a Korg 3.
Kronos still have same power after 8 years...
Regards

At this point, that should not surprise anybody.

And we have +500 wish lists for Kronos since 8 yrs ago.
And more powerful CPU is mentioned as much.

So there you have it. IOW, it will never happen.

BTW, folks buy Kronos because it sounds very good. They are aware
of the spec. Folks buy Kronos, and old spec has not bothered them.

You mention " Korg 3 ". I think you are trying to say " Kronos 3 "
?

You could Play wait and see until January NAMM 2020. The wait and see game has been going on for 3 years. during these 3 years, one can look at Korg new products each year and figure out what Korg's new product priorities are.
magname

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ask this question this is because I discovered in another thread that some user was a little disapointed he could not add as much programs he wanted into a combinaison.
I have until now no Kronos and plan to buy a I,X or 2. My concern is maybe a good option is more to buy a 1 or X than a 2 that would eventually lost more value if a 4 cores is next issued. And because the X is as much powerfull as the more expensive 2 version.
Or.. Maybe it's best to use VSTs now with a S88 master keybord..
But. As many, I will prefer to get off computer and to get the real thing to get more inspired.
Before tonight, I though the kronos had no limitations.
It disturbed me a little.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magname wrote:
If I ask this question this is because I discovered in another thread that some user was a little disapointed he could not add as much programs he wanted into a combinaison.
I have until now no Kronos and plan to buy a I,X or 2. My concern is maybe a good option is more to buy a 1 or X than a 2 that would eventually lost more value if a 4 cores is next issued. And because the X is as much powerfull as the more expensive 2 version.
Or.. Maybe it's best to use VSTs now with a S88 master keybord..
But. As many, I will prefer to get off computer and to get the real thing to get more inspired.
Before tonight, I though the kronos had no limitations.
It disturbed me a little.

ok, brainstorming and research is good. Kronos 2 and every model since 2011 has polyphony limits. It is what it is and has not changed in any substantial way since 2011.

If you are counting on some groovy spec, you should wait until January 2020.

Then go from there with your $$.

I love my K [2011] as its a fantastic song writing machine. It fits my requirements to this day. But the marketplace is speeding along and the options are many.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything has limitations. It's just the way it is. However, I absolutely love the fact that with my first edition Kronos, I can rule any stage keyboard wise.
The sounds are all very very solid and powerful. The fell of the keyboard is just fine. IMHO the Kronos is as good as it's ever going to get.
To get better you would have to carry more equipment. I can bring my Kronos, a stand, my pedals and cables and I've got everything covered gigwise. Sure, there are better options for sounds in the studio but when you really really boil it down, does your audience actually know? Teh answer to that it, "No they don't."
I've played recordings that I've done and had knowledgeable musicians ask me when I bought a Hammond B3 and a Leslie. I've had them ask if I was using a Minimoog. The trick is, there is no trick. Just the Kronos and as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing on the planet that comes close to it.

Sorry for my little tirade. I'm just a bit tired of people carrying on about how the Kronos isn't as good as they expected.

Peace and love to you all!

Jeremykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
Everything has limitations. It's just the way it is. However, I absolutely love the fact that with my first edition Kronos, I can rule any stage keyboard wise.
The sounds are all very very solid and powerful. The fell of the keyboard is just fine. IMHO the Kronos is as good as it's ever going to get.
To get better you would have to carry more equipment. I can bring my Kronos, a stand, my pedals and cables and I've got everything covered gigwise. Sure, there are better options for sounds in the studio but when you really really boil it down, does your audience actually know? Teh answer to that it, "No they don't."
I've played recordings that I've done and had knowledgeable musicians ask me when I bought a Hammond B3 and a Leslie. I've had them ask if I was using a Minimoog. The trick is, there is no trick. Just the Kronos and as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing on the planet that comes close to it.

Sorry for my little tirade. I'm just a bit tired of people carrying on about how the Kronos isn't as good as they expected.

Jeremykeys

I hear it like you, brother Wink
magname

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning,
I hope you do not take bad my questions. No real intention to come to speak evil of Kronos. I still intend to buy one. You need to know that when someone is not used to it and is about to put in a lot of money, he tries to measure the limits. So much good of the keyboard is said that I had in mind that its only limitation was the imagination. I did not know that this problem of polyphony could be met quite easly according to the author in the combination mode.
Also I'm looking for a video where we could see when in reasonable use we reach this limit of polyphony.
Regards
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:

Jeremykeys

Absolutely agree with you !
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will the Apple 2 come out? I look forward !

sorry for this ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
magname

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collective discharge for sure
Kronos is a great keyboard Kronos is a great keyboard
Any example please.
Concrete examples/videos if any of the limitations you are experiencing please regarding polyphony and cpu issues on the kronos would be appreciated.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magname wrote:
Good morning,
I hope you do not take bad my questions. No real intention to come to speak evil of Kronos. I still intend to buy one. You need to know that when someone is not used to it and is about to put in a lot of money, he tries to measure the limits. So much good of the keyboard is said that I had in mind that its only limitation was the imagination. I did not know that this problem of polyphony could be met quite easly according to the author in the combination mode.
Also I'm looking for a video where we could see when in reasonable use we reach this limit of polyphony.
Regards

Hello,

Of course it's a lot of money (et c'est normal que tu étudies la question avant de te lancer)

For my own usage, I've never met this polyphony issue. But I can imagine it could be the case for some people.
We should not think about the Kronos as about computer softwares. It is not the same way to approach musical creativity.
In fact, I consider limitations as a good creativity tool. Limitations force us to be more efficient.
What you should consider is the great versatilty of the Kronos. In most cases, when we encounter a limitation or an obstacle, we can find a way to turn it around : there are many, many examples of that, here on this forum.

So, if you want a quasi infinite polyphony, a big screen, a quasi infinite number of plugins or effects : don't buy a Kronos. If not, buy a Kronos an you won't be disapointed.
ksi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magname wrote:
Collective discharge for sure
Kronos is a great keyboard Kronos is a great keyboard
Any example please.
Concrete examples/videos if any of the limitations you are experiencing please regarding polyphony and cpu issues on the kronos would be appreciated.

In addition to videos and reports from others, I would like to propose to you to also gather your own experience with the Kronos before you buy, if you are seriousliy interested in the instrument.
Download the manual and find out about what you want to check out, for example polyphony. Then go to a store that offers the Kronos and play on the instrument for some hours, and try to reach some setup that challanges polyphony.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
[

For my own usage, I've never met this polyphony issue. But I can imagine it could be the case for some people.
d.

I have posted this a few times. I use the SEQ 99% of the time, and go up to 16 midi tracks.

There ere certain engines that are resource hungry. If I use half of them, my song recordings will have clicks and pops, and note cut off's.

Which ruins the song recording.

So I have to compromise on what sound engines I use in a multi track song recording. For example, HD-1 is not as resource hungry so I use this frequently.

There is a good post from a few months back that explains the resources used by each engine.

The AL-1 and Mod-7 and STR-1 are hungry fellows. I would like to use all of these in multiple tracks in my songs . Its not possible. And no, I will not record them seperately and dump them as Audio tracks. Takes far to long to do this all the time. I am picky about my work flow and prefer productivity- which supports my 60 recorded originals on SoundCloud.

But thats how I roll. And mostly everyone is different. What great about Kronos is its flexibility. I don't mind compromises as its all about the musical end result, IMO.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
[

d.

And no, I will not record them seperately and dump them as Audio tracks. Takes far to long to do this all the time.

And what if you did it just once. For example prepare and Midi record all the rythmic part of your song, sample it and transfer to Audio track, and then, add MOD7, AL-1 parts (Solos, Effects and so on). I don't think it would take so much time nor really affect your productivity.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
[

d.

And no, I will not record them seperately and dump them as Audio tracks. Takes far to long to do this all the time.

And what if you did it just once. For example prepare and Midi record all the rythmic part of your song, sample it and transfer to Audio track, and then, add MOD7, AL-1 parts (Solos, Effects and so on). I don't think it would take so much time nor really affect your productivity.

I have experimented. FX management becomes cumbersome.

What you suggest for my 16 track work, doubles the work flow time. As a creative person, I need good work flow, not cumbersome steps. Creative people are not very patient. For example, I take 1-2 weeks to create an original song. I need a 3-5 days to finalize my song mix. I have a 'jury' that assists this important step.

This is the way my Muse rolls. I need all 16 tracks . I notice most Kronos owners play 2 or 3 instruments then record.

a 3 track song would be very easy to manage. 16 midi tracks is 5 times that effort.

And I am very picky about sound quality. The more Audio tracks I use , the song quality is lessened. When I make WAV files of multiple audio tracks, the quality takes a hit.

I understand the theoretical arguments , about multiple audio tracks/WAV file quality loss, that this is not accurate. But I go by my ears, which is reality.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
[

d.

I have experimented. FX management becomes cumbersome.

What you suggest for my 16 track work, doubles the work flow time. As a creative person, I need good work flow, not cumbersome steps. Creative people are not very patient. For example, I take 1-2 weeks to create an original song. I need a 3-5 days to finalize my song mix. I have a 'jury' that assists this important step.

This is the way my Muse rolls. I need all 16 tracks . I notice most Kronos owners play 2 or 3 instruments then record.

a 3 track song would be very easy to manage. 16 midi tracks is 5 times that effort.

And I am very picky about sound quality. The more Audio tracks I use , the song quality is lessened. When I make WAV files of multiple audio tracks, the quality takes a hit.

I understand the theoretical arguments , about multiple audio tracks/WAV file quality loss, that this is not accurate. But I go by my ears, which is reality.

Ok, Gred, I see what you mean. The most important is that you've found the good way that suits you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: