Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samsung 500 gig SSD Hard drive fails to work in Kronos LS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
savont

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Samsung 500 gig SSD Hard drive fails to work in Kronos LS Reply with quote

I have searched and read many postings about using SSD drives in the Kronos, but my attempts have all failed. I have tried adding a Samsung 850 pro 512 gig drive as an additional drive and Kronos says it needs to format it, only giving the option of a 16bit format and other options are greyed out. On reboot after its attempt, Kronos still thinks it needs to be formatted.

So My next thing was to clone the HD in the Kronos. So using EASEus partition manager I cloned the drive to this 500 gig drive, all seemed good. Then put the 500gig drive into the Kronos and rebooted it. Kronos starts up to a point and then complains that system startup failed.

I am now thinking that the software drivers for this samsung drive are not available in the Kronos Operating system and I will have to buy a bigger Innodisk 3ME3 SSD (which is the type currently in the Kronos LS)
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung 850 EVO 512GB (have not tested Pro) , works in Kronos 2 latest firmware , I had cloned system OS with Easus Todo Backup
Advanced Server 7,5 in sector by sector mode but then you have to extend the last Ext2 partition up to the end of sectors of SSD ,
otherwise OS might not boot with a secondary undefined partition , for this job I use Paragon Partition Manager 15 Pro.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
jbeliz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed several ssd drives including the samsung and i came across a similar situation when i cloned my drive it wouldnt boot up all the way so i used DVD'S to install the OS and it worked perfectly.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you happen to know of a good way to clone the startup drive on a mac? sorry to ask this, that's all I use. I do have superduper but I don't believe it clones sector by sector including partition method etc.

If I could clone the original drive, then I could install my other drives.

Sorry about this

Lew
savont

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I gave up on the samsung drive, i extended the unused portion and it still would not boot properly. So I went and bought a $35 125 gig WD green ssd. After install into the kronos i formatted it using the kronos formatter and it worked perfectly as an additional drive. So my thoughts are that the 500 gig Master Boot record somehow interfered with loading (note that this drive had been used with windows) or the 500 gig was too big or the kronos drivers didnt work. In any case the 125 gig drive is now working for me.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the weird thing is this, depending on the model you have, is it the original kronos or the kronos x or 2? I found somewhere that users were having issues with the original kronos where the drives being installed were being rejected and users going to a max 128gb ssd, perhaps there's a script in the Kronos OS / Firmware which rejects larger drives?

lew
jbeliz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded several different brands of ssd to my Kronos including a 250gb samsung evo, had no issues with any, it might be the way you are trying to install your OS also if it is just the secondary drive it should just need the formatting done from the kronos if its the main boot drive then cloning or using the dvd's worked for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: