Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone knows a really great live piano sound?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Does anyone knows a really great live piano sound? Reply with quote

I like the Kronos pianos but not so much for live performance through a mix of other instruments. Perhaps in one of the Kronos sound pack? Any suggestion?

Cheers!
Den
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for M1 piano

A classic "cut through the mix" piano.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone knows a really great live piano sound? Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
I like the Kronos pianos but not so much for live performance through a mix of other instruments. Perhaps in one of the Kronos sound pack? Any suggestion?

Cheers!
Den

a frequent question. Sounds like you gig your K and have to compete with other loud instruments

I recall that some run a mono piano. It would seem you can adjust velocity to get a faster/harsher hammer strike.

Then there are FX to peel off. Or maybe you need to punch up EQ.

The common tab gives you other edit improvements.

IOW, you might need to work on some basic programming to get the AP sound that works in your band.

I am confident this can be done with some effort.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone knows a really great live piano sound? Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:

Cheers!
Den

Buy a Dexibell SX7 rack unit.
mikelees

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
A few tips on getting a great live piano sound out of the K....

- EQ is your friend here. A bit of lift around 2-3kHz will help pianos cut through the mix. You may also need to cut some lower frequencies to stop it sounding too muddy.

- A small (and I mean small) amount of compression can help.

- Mixing pianos to mono can help. Qui Robinez (who is a regular contributor to this forum) has some free downloads of live pianos that are mixed to mono or reduced stereo using the PEQ4//PEQ4 parallel effect. http://www.quirobinez.nl/2018/02/05/stage-pianos/

- A technique I sometimes use to get a distinctive piano sound that stands out in a mix is to use a second piano layered with the first but one, or even two octaves above. Usually only on the upper half of the keyboard.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help!

https://youtu.be/pLyDGWl337s?t=7
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone knows a really great live piano sound? Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:

Cheers!
Den

Hello,

Absolutely agree with GergC : the Kronos is able to produce any type of piano sounds you want. As it has been said, you must dive inside if you want specific settings.

M1 piano sound is a very popular piano sound from 80's. But it has nothing to do with real piano sound.

You absolutely don't need to buy another extrernal unit or module. If you don't really enjoy the factory Kronos piano sounds or if you don't want to desing your own sound, you can have a look to many existing third party piano sound.

There are some in shop.korg : https://shop.korg.com/kronos) (your can hear them and test them on your Kronos)

* KAPRO provides 6 different pianos sounds banks
* KARO provides a very beautiful piano. EXS-59
* K-Sounds with its EXS-86 Signature Pianos
* Bolder with EXS-107
* Purgatory Creek with EXS-147, EXS-148, EXS-149 (an old specific piano), EXS-150 (out-of-tune piano)

Other third party piano sound banks : https://www.synthonia.com/marketplace/korg-sounds/korg-kronos-series-ssx-00-world-piano-detail

Here is a tuto from Jacob Hudden about your question : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb505ij9TBo&t=58s

Our friend Qui Robinez has offered us some free Kronos banks, whose a Piano one : http://www.quirobinez.nl/2018/02/05/stage-pianos/

--------------------------------

So, as you can see, buying another unit is useless. You can get a huge choice and I'm sure you'll get what you want !
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone knows a really great live piano sound? Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:

Cheers!
Den

That has always been a problem for me playing live with a band but solo gigs the Kronos does great. I would recommend less effects and go for the more natural piano sound maybe EQ settings that sound well for your amplification.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above Kronos AP videos that Benny and Liviou referred to are excellent.

Yes, its true. To get 'your ' specific AP sounds for live use, you might have to spend 10-20 minutes diving 'under the hood'.

And everyone's taste of what a great AP should sound like is going to vary.

When you buy a + $3000 keyboard like the K2, you are getting a strong and versatile instrument. I think an investment of time in the K2 is worth the effort.

The Kronos AP's are excellent. You can't go wrong IMO.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone knows a really great live piano sound? Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:

Take a look also at this WavesArt's Pianos Suite http://wavesart.eu/KronosEXs/Pianos%20Suite.html

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:

EQ and volume balancing.

KRONOS piano engine offers huge collections for every scenario.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also that free Salamander Piano (Yamaha C5). Has anybody made a soundset for Kronos? Reuben did it for the arranger keyboards. It sounds VERY good!

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
There's also that free Salamander Piano (Yamaha C5). Has anybody made a soundset for Kronos? Reuben did it for the arranger keyboards. It sounds VERY good!

Great piano player, especially on a 61 notes light keyboard !

The sound itself is beautiful and the first sensation is ,good but all in all, after some minutes, seems too mechanical with always the same attack response. So finally, its a pretty sound, but not a very natural piano sound. It's only my sensation !
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot this video about setting internal piano sounds on a live perspective :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLyDGWl337s

this video is divided in 4 parts.

This guy explains how to set a big piano sound in Program mode, Combi mode and how to set effects.

It's quite intersting to try.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
I forgot this video about setting internal piano sounds on a live perspective :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLyDGWl337s

this video is divided in 4 parts.

This guy explains how to set a big piano sound in Program mode, Combi mode and how to set effects.

It's quite intersting to try.

Nice I posted that video in an earlier post!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: