Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaoss Pad 3 in A&H ZED 14

View previous topic :: View next topic  
braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Kaoss Pad 3 in A&H ZED 14 Reply with quote

Hi,

How Can I connect the Kaoss Pad 3 in the ZED 14 mixer?.

I read the post however I have doubts. Is possible to plug it in the ST RTN?.

If is a STEREO device Can I plug in a MONO channel?.

How Can apply the FX to other channels?

Thanks.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the KP3 Line Out L and R jacks either to the ZED14 ST1 IN L/M and R inputs, respectively, or to two of the LINE inputs. If using the individual inputs on the ZED14 i.e. the non-stereo ones, set the pan pots full left for the left hand channel and full right for the right hand channel. Set the relevant ZED14 input level controls to 0dB.
braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, What should I do to affect the other channels?, Is not possible via AUX with an splitter cable RCA to STEREO jack 1/4?.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at the KP3, and the line ins and outs on the back are RCA phono connectors, not jack sockets, so the appropriately-ended cables will need to be used i.e. RCA to RCA or RCA to Jack (mono jack).

If the intention is for the KP3 to process other audio coming through the ZED14 mixer, then set the KP3 connection switch to "Send" and connect the line ins on the KP3 to the ZED14 AUX1 and AUX2 outs. With the connections done this way, if a stereo source is required for the KP3, then select the Stereo option for the stereo channel on the ZED14. If the stereo button is up, then AUX1 and AUX2 outs will carry the same signal i.e. mono to the KP3. Note also that AUX1 and AUX2 derive their signals pre-fader, so the faders will not affect the signal level going to the KP3. The KP3 Line outs can be connected to one of the STn in pairs on the ZED14, or to the ST RTN or 2TRK RTN.

With this mixer, there is more than one way of achieving this, and it may depend on what else is connected to the ZED14. For example, the ZED14 manual suggests using AUX4 out as an effects send, but note that AUX3 and AUX4 are mono only though their signals do come post-fader. Another way would be to use two stereo 1/4" jack to RCA cables, and connect them to the L Insert and R insert jacks on the ZED14 and to the Line in and Line outs on the KP3, and with the KP3 connection switch set to "Direct". This would send the whole L & R bus mix through the KP3. However, it would not then be possible to set the level of signals going to the KP3 on a channel by channel basis.

braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the first time that I receive a detailed answer that I udenstand all so Many thanks!.

If you control the ZED 14 What type of affordable (no more than 200 €) recorder preferably with RCAs inputs?, and Is possible to plug via AUX 3 or 4 a guitar pedal chain as FX to affect the channels?.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For recorders in the less than 200 € price bracket, probably something like the Tascam DP-008EX, or maybe the Zoom R8. Both are capable of recording up to 8 tracks, two at a time, and would take the L and R Record Out from the ZED14. Neither have RCA phono inputs (phono to 1/4" jack adapters are cheap), though the Tascam device offers RCA phono line out. Some shopping around will be needed to get the Zoom below the target price.

A guitar effects pedal chain would need to be able to cope with line levels, else distortion and weak sound would be the result. If it is line level capable, then the input could be connected to AUX3 or AUX4 and the output, if mono, could go to one of the single channel inputs, or stereo outs could go to one of the ST IN pairs.
braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply!. Do you think a booster pedal could solve the problem of the weak line levels?.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A boost pedal could certainly be used to bring the effects pedal output up to a level suitable for the ZED14 mixer. Most boost pedals are mono, which would not be ideal for an effects chain that had stereo outputs.
braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if I use all pedals in mono and connect the chain to a L/M input of an STEREO channel?.

PEDALS IN > AUX OUT > PEDALS OUT > ST4 (for example) L/M IN

Is that correct?.
braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one of theses boosters are the best for the ZED AUXs?:

- El Laney TI-BOOST.

- Electro Harmonix LPB-1.

- Fender Engager Boost.

- MXR MC401 Boost/Line Driver.

Any suggestion for 200 € max.?.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard specifications for the pedals in the list are lacking, to say the least. The only pedal that actually gives a gain figure is the MXR MC401 Boost/Line Driver, and this should do the job. The El Laney TI-BOOST produces a bass cut and mid range boost, which might not be desirable, but then again, it depends on what you're looking for.

Signal routing should be: AUX OUT > PEDALS IN > PEDALS OUT > BOOSTER PEDAL > ZED14 in e.g. ST4 L/M IN (though this would "waste" one channel).

The first effects pedal would need its input to be turned down quite a bit (about -20dB) to reduce the line level signal from the AUX OUT down to the effects pedals expected input of "guitar level", or it could be done with a combination of AUX level and first pedal input level control settings e.g. -10dB for each. The boost pedal would need to be set to around +20dB. Consider these to be starting points from which to experiment, though they may turn out to be optimal.

braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!.

I am going to use the pedal chain as FX for other devices plugged, Is there another possibility to connect the pedal FX chain to affect all the channels?. I mean use the AUX button to regulate the FXs signal.
braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, Can you answer?.

Thanks.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question was not very clear. Was it an AUX button or knob? Other matters got in the way of an immediate answer.

An A3 sized printout of the block diagram from the user manual, together with reading the manual, may help to answer specifics on the ZED14.
braisremeseiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks!. I will read it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: