Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soundfonts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Soundfonts Reply with quote

Has anyone got any thoughts or experiences to pass on about using sf2 files on the Kronos?

I have just finished refreshing my PCG, getting rid of deadwood and sounds that I know I will never use. Now I have seven free program banks to play with. I do have some KSCs, samples and other programs to check out, some of which I will add to my new PCG, but I also have a lot of soundfonts knocking around - some bought, some freebies from online - and I am keen to check them out.

I have only briefly tried loading soundfonts on the Kronos, and that was a couple of years back. My recollection of the sf2s that I tried was that they sounded quite flat and underpowered. Maybe I was just unlucky with that particular soundfont. Are soundfonts just the poor man's sampler, or is there much more to them than that?
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's been a number of years, but I bought some OB-X soundfonts a bit back and ended up using the raw samples to build new programs inside the Kronos. They actually sounded pretty good, a lot more "Oberheimy" than I could get with using either AL-1 or the built-in HD1 samples. I also had some really old ones that I tried that honestly sounded like garbage compared to anything on the Kronos. So yea, I think it depends on your source material.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
seapea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with sf2 in Kronos is that it sounds similar to sf2 played on a computer. So if you just want to find out what sf2 s you have sound like , use software "sforzando". Link below. It's free, Mac, pc, standalone, vst, audio units.

https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html
Kronos 73 #8xx Hammond XK3C Axiom 61 Mainstage 3.32 with OMNISPHERE 2.51 AbletonLive 9.74 controlled by SETLIST MAKER on iPhone8+ Arturia V Collection Classics, Reason 10 with Reason Pianos, SonicRefills Gold + Ian McIntosh Patches, UVI Falcon, Sylenth, Giant Alicia Keys Various EASTWEST Libraries Sample Robot 5 Pro OSX Vintage Organ Pack Christian Cullen
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm grateful for your helpful comments.

The 'bought' sf2s I will be using have, I understand, already been mapped for the Kronos, and include a number of vintage synths. There is no Oberheim in there, however, and I would be happy to build new programs from soundfont samples if need be, so thanks for the advice Jeebustrain.

Thanks, Seapea. I hadn't come across that software before, and it sounds perfect for checking out new sf2 files before I start getting stuck into them with the Kronos. I shall definitely download it, and check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: