Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange issue with internal SSD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Track 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Strange issue with internal SSD Reply with quote

The 30GB internal SSD on my original Kronos seems to be showing less space left than it actually has.

Yesterday it showed 9GB of space left. Then I installed about 3.5GB of demo sounds (EXs 45 and 46) and the SSD showed 5.5G left. After demoing the sounds, I deleted them but the SSD still shows 5.5GB left. It should have gone back to 9GB.

Is there a Trash folder that needs to be emptied?

Also, 9GB does not seem right either. Besides the original sounds and the OS (3.1.2), all I have are a few songs with MIDI and audio files stored. Older projects are stored elsewhere. I should have more than 25GB of free space.

It's as if the SDD balance is reflecting everything I've ever saved, with the cumulative balance getting smaller.

Any ideas about this? How can I actually clear out all the old stuff and/or get Media Info in Disk Mode to show the actual space left?

P.S. I also have a 32GB USB drive plugged into one of the rear ports, and Media Info shows it's only 4GB with 1.5GB left. At most, I have added 2-3GB to this thumb drive. Hmm.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced that, too. I am careful with storage limits on my factory SSD

Not sure if its a bug.

Go to:
Global/KSC auto load

You will see Ram size and Disk size. I think this is reliable.

Remove the KSC demos listed. Could be your SSD is reserving storage if you still have the demos in your list.

Next, see if you have a huge KSC user bank- its easy for user back ups to become huge files.

Just the same, you should invest in a 2nd SSD. I guess u have the original K- the 2nd SSD install is definitely doable. Not a big hassle.
Track 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Next, see if you have a huge KSC user bank- its easy for user back ups to become huge files.

Thanks, Greg. You were right. I do have a huge PRELOAD.KSC file -- 12GB!

I assume this is for all the factory sounds. Is it supposed to be that large? Or could it have multiplied itself each time I've removed it temporarily to make room for demo libraries and then reloaded it afterward?

I already removed the demo KSC files mentioned above. The only other KSC file I have is for ESX 51, which I purchased years ago. It's showing as 800MB.

How do I get the huge one to its proper size, assuming it's supposed to be smaller?

GregC wrote:
Just the same, you should invest in a 2nd SSD. I guess u have the original K- the 2nd SSD install is definitely doable. Not a big hassle.

Is there a simple slot for this, as for the additional RAM? I have thought about adding both. The local Korg service shop can do it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
GregC wrote:

Thanks, Greg. You were right. I do have a huge PRELOAD.KSC file -- 12GB!

1)I assume this is for all the factory sounds. Is it supposed to be that large? Or could it have multiplied itself each time I've removed it temporarily to make room for demo libraries and then reloaded it afterward?

I already removed the demo KSC files mentioned above. The only other KSC file I have is for ESX 51, which I purchased years ago. It's showing as 800MB.

2)How do I get the huge one to its proper size, assuming it's supposed to be smaller?

GregC wrote:

3) Is there a simple slot for this, as for the additional RAM? I have thought about adding both. The local Korg service shop can do it.

1) There is no easy way for me to know what EXs you have added to your K.
Korg released a few KSC samples that are possibly integrated in your Pre-load.
IOW, I don't assume anything of whats on your K.

2] I am reluctant to advise you on this. I have a vague recollection the original
Factory KSC about 3 to 5 Gig of SSD storage. But over the past 7 years, so much has been offered and improved on with the OS and factory KSC's.

You could simply go to DISK and open your 12 gig KSC. And see whats going on.
But if you don't know the impact of what you are doing, do not delete.

3] We have been talking SSD storage all along. Not RAM. 2 different animals.
Anyway, sure, a Korg auth center can install a 2nd SSD. I think you should do your homework and figure out a quality SSD for your 2nd SSD. Storage is cheap. I am inclined to go for quality components vs leaving that decision
with some one else who might go cheap on a component.

You mentioned RAM. Assess what you have. You def need to go for or have max RAM of 4 gig. This has been discussed 100's of times for the original K, which is 7 years old.
Track 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Greg.

I checked the 12GB preload, and there is indeed a lot in there -- nine libraries, EXS 1-9. These are all factory sounds. I never realized how big these are. With my added EXS 51, it all adds up correctly to about 12GB.

So even with all that, I should still have half of my 30GB internal storage left. Yet Media Info still shows only 5.5GB. Somehow it does not know that I deleted those demo libraries. Or maybe I thought I deleted them and they are still lurking somewhere. I have looked everywhere and can't see them.

Hoping someone else might chime in on this.

As for RAM, yes, I have read a few threads about adding more to the original Kronos. I'm not sure I really need to, but if I decide to add another SSD, I will also add RAM at the same time.

There are some how-tos on YouTube. The RAM looks easy. The SSD looks a little tricky with mounting brackets and running new cables. Probably would just let my auth shop do it.

Either that or sell my original as is and get a brand-new K. Just waiting till after NAMM before I spend any more money at all.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
Thanks again, Greg.

I checked the 12GB preload, and there is indeed a lot in there -- nine libraries, EXS 1-9. These are all factory sounds. I never realized how big these are. With my added EXS 51, it all adds up correctly to about 12GB.

So even with all that, I should still have half of my 30GB internal storage left. Yet Media Info still shows only 5.5GB. Somehow it does not know that I deleted those demo libraries. Or maybe I thought I deleted them and they are still lurking somewhere. I have looked everywhere and can't see them.

Hoping someone else might chime in on this.

As for RAM, yes, I have read a few threads about adding more to the original Kronos. I'm not sure I really need to, but if I decide to add another SSD, I will also add RAM at the same time.

There are some how-tos on YouTube. The RAM looks easy. The SSD looks a little tricky with mounting brackets and running new cables. Probably would just let my auth shop do it.

Either that or sell my original as is and get a brand-new K. Just waiting till after NAMM before I spend any more money at all.

Yes, adding the 2nd RAM stick is simpler. Just have to find the correct type/pin size.

I agree- no need to do anything until NAMM 2019. I also watch that for planning purposes.

One more thought- adding a 2nd SSD to a new K2 is a challenge. Having an auth center do that, does make it convenient, and more expensive.

Assuming you have not had problems, your original K is a solid board IMO.
And fully upgradeable to be K2 like.

Selling it for a fair price involves dealing with competition. Here in the US, many retailers are offering refurbs with warranty- thats significant competition for a private seller.
Track 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good points about selling. In that case, I'd probably just keep and upgrade my old K and maybe add another library or two. It has been quite stable except for some occasional audio recording glitches (which more RAM might help) and the current SSD mystery.

As for the external USB drive issue mentioned above, it seems that the Kronos formats all USB drives with a 4GB partition even if the USB drive is bigger. I don't know how to get around this. Guess I'll just stop buying large backup drives.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you don't know, you must first delete EXs under Global/Options Info. Then you can go check in disk mode if there are any remaining files associated with the deleted libraries.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
T

As for the external USB drive issue mentioned above, it seems that the Kronos formats all USB drives with a 4GB partition even if the USB drive is bigger. I don't know how to get around this. Guess I'll just stop buying large backup drives.

to be clear, we only discussed internal SATA based SSD drives.
And RAM, briefly

External USB drives are another animal.
You cannot 'stream ' samples from a external USB drive.

You can stream large 3rd party samples from the internal
SSD. Thats one of the strongest features of Kronos and sets it
apart from other keyboards.
Track 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
In case you don't know, you must first delete EXs under Global/Options Info. Then you can go check in disk mode if there are any remaining files associated with the deleted libraries.

Aha! This was the solution! Thank you, KK. I just uninstalled the demos from Global/Options and am now back to where I started at 9GB left on the internal SSD.

Greg, regarding USB sticks, I mentioned mine at the end of the OP above thinking the issues might be related. Apparently they are not. I still don't know why K appears to format USB sticks to 4GB regardless of actual capacity. To avoid confusion, I might start a separate thread on that if a search doesn't turn up any info.

Thanks again. Internal SSD mystery solved.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
[q

Greg, regarding USB sticks, I mentioned mine at the end of the OP above thinking the issues might be related. Apparently they are not. I still don't know why K appears to format USB sticks to 4GB regardless of actual capacity. To avoid confusion, I might start a separate thread on that if a search doesn't turn up any info.

Thanks again. Internal SSD mystery solved.

sorry, I missed your original PS. Lets try again;
"P.S. I also have a 32GB USB drive plugged into one of the rear ports, and Media Info shows it's only 4GB with 1.5GB left."

that '1.5GB left..." message sounds like a RAM measurement, not your USB thumb drive storage.

Make sure you SELECT the USB thumb in DISK mode, then see whats left on that device.

I am 99% certain Kronos reads available storage space on USB thumb drives, accurately. Assuming one Korg formats the USB thumb drive in advance of using it.
Track 7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Greg, for looking into this USB drive issue. I think I figured it out.

I ran a test using a blank 16GB thumb drive. Originally it was formatted in Disk Mode with the default FAT16 setting. So I reformatted it at FAT32 and it now shows as 15GB with a full 15GB free. This is close enough to 16GB, so I think this is the answer.

The 32GB stick mentioned above has stuff on it that I'm not yet ready to delete, but eventually I will reformat it at FAT32 and hope for 30+ gigs of space on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: