Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

System Startup Failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfudge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: System Startup Failure Reply with quote

My Kronos is 7 years old today, but not a happy birthday with the System Startup Failure error, and the waiting the 10 seconds does not improve this or my mood. Does anyone have any recent experience with a suitable DVD writer, and am I looking for a new SSD as well?

Please help! Surprised
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to diagnose accurately , as there are a dozen possibilities.

And you did not clarify if this happened once or many times in the past/week/month. Or is your K DOA ? Or are you gigging your K, or are you
a home studio musician ?

As the system startup failure is some what common, K owners
post that here every week. My advice is to search back 2 months to nail
down the similar post topics

Or you can provide better detail, and wait for the trial and error suggestions to roll in.
mrfudge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, should have said I am a home musician, the Kronos has never moved and this is the fourth time this has happened in a week, the previous occasions it did indeed start, prior to this completely reliable.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfudge wrote:
Sorry, should have said I am a home musician, the Kronos has never moved and this is the fourth time this has happened in a week, the previous occasions it did indeed start, prior to this completely reliable.

very good. This improves our focus on your K

BTW, my K88 is also +7 yrs old. I would be devastated to experience system failure, home musician/song writer here.

Your K certainly has a problem. Lets step thru a few basics;

1] Power. Your K demands consistent perfect power. Scrutinize all your connections , outlets, cables. Swap to a different outlet. Replace a cheap power strip with a quality power strip. Did you add a power hungry device to your home ? Lets say its cold outside and your home is cranking an electrical based heater while booting up. Consider every change
related to power in your home. For example, we have PG&E here in CA. They can be flakey with voltage.

2] what other USB devices or midi keyboards are connected to your K ?
mrfudge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to assist. I have tried an alternative power source without success. The Kronos is usually attached to my Windows pc (win 7) via standard USB cable and I use Cubase (7) quite happily. Currently I have unplugged this lead, and even the sustain pedal, so there is literally only the power cord plugged in. There have been no recent changes, weather is mild, no disturbances to power, havent moved the Kronos. Nothing. Haven't even saved any recent files (only on the pc). Hope 7 years is not the lifespan of a Kronos...
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: System Startup Failure Reply with quote

mrfudge wrote:
Does anyone have any recent experience with a suitable DVD writer

I'm able to get a boot screen, using a Lite-On EBAU108 External DVD-Writer.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfudge wrote:
Thanks for trying to assist. I have tried an alternative power source without success. The Kronos is usually attached to my Windows pc (win 7) via standard USB cable and I use Cubase (7) quite happily. Currently I have unplugged this lead, and even the sustain pedal, so there is literally only the power cord plugged in. There have been no recent changes, weather is mild, no disturbances to power, havent moved the Kronos. Nothing. Haven't even saved any recent files (only on the pc). Hope 7 years is not the lifespan of a Kronos...

I would keep sustain pedal connected during boot up. But experiment by disconnecting USB to your Win PC for some days, lets say 5.

There are about 1000 of us original K owners. If the K had a ' stale date ' of 7 years, this forum would be on fire. And its not. So lets stay with logic.
And continue trial and error stuff.

Make sure your power connection is a tight/snug fit.

Next up is to un screw the bottom cover and examine for loose connections, etc.
For example- we all have an upside down Mobo in our K's. That is not a solid design and connectors get loose as the mobo ''flexes ' over time.
I read this design flaw got squared away in either the " X" or the K2.

Suggest you run your K per the above - for 5 days, normal usage but no USB to WIN/PC.

Others will chime in soon.
mrfudge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your help GregC and Mike Conway. Will leave Kronos unconnected fir a few days and also send for DVD writer and will let you know. Hopefully there are plenty more years left in my Kronos (and me!)
jbeliz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally it is something simple as replacing your ram cards, if problem persist buy a new ssd drive those 2 are the most common problems for a Kronos as old as yours.
mrfudge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no joy trying to restore from the DVD drive (I used an ASUS Slim from Argos as I gave up waiting for Amazon) and sent it back to Korg UK who replaced to RAM. It took about 2 weeks, 3 phone calls and around £250 in all with delivery costs, but all is now well and they appear to have cleaned it up a treat.

Thanks to those people who took the time to help. I maybe could have fitted the RAM myself, but I am not that brave and my K is too precious.

Make sure you always back up (though in this case, everything was as it was before) and a Happy Christmas to all. Very Happy
MODESTO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: System Failure Resolved Reply with quote

I face the same issue a few days ago and i unplugged the USB cable with my Kronos powered off. I try it again and the failure is gone. My Kronos is working fine.
Sebastian Äio Madsen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: KORG KRONOS START UP FAILURE - FINALLY SOLVED , NO REPAIR RE Reply with quote

Ok. Here is how you do it;
Once you turn your Kronos on and if the start up system fails ,
******DO NOT TURN IT OFF !!!! ********* !!!!
Keep it in for another 30 minutes. Then turn off , and turn back on.
The "Disk" light will start coming on abs the system will load successfully. I'm guessing it has to so with main processor operating temperature. Just so you know, it works for me EVERY TIME now. You're welcome !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: