Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help! Im about to destroy things!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Please Help! Im about to destroy things! Reply with quote

I am so very frustrated! I bought the iM1 with all the sound cards and it is great! So great I wanted to use it live. Much lighter than hauling the Triton to shows and to be honest I like the sounds. BUT!!!!! I bought an Alesis Wireless Vortex 2 Keytar midi controller and I want to switch sounds from the controller not the ipad because it is hard to do in live situation and dangerous.

I have the the Alesis Vortex Wireless 2 preset editor software to program the controller.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, I am a keyboard player not a computer programmer

The things I can input are:
Send on Load
Program#
ProgramLSB
ProgramMSB[/b]

You would think that program 1 would be... program one -nope!
I have no friggen idea what the heck LSB is or MSB

I tried typing in a few numbers based of charts I found on the internet and then sent them to the controller only to find that those create !No Change ! so now program 1 2 # 3 are all the same damn sound

I I cannot find a reset for the damned Vortex to put it back to factory settings!

I have spent hours like a retarded monkey poking at things and understanding nothing.

I am so frustrated and angry that I want to chuck the ipad against the wall do a Pete Townsend with the vortex and plunge head first out the 14 story window

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the responses produced by something make no sense at all, it can get frustrating.

This link may help to clear up a few things.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/6-what-msb-lsb-refer-for-changing-banks-andprograms/
Ralis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Voip thank you for responding,

I did search and find that list before posting here,

It may as well be a pile of sticks and rocks and you say "here this is the information you need"

"I don't get it, It does not work" I put in numbers into spaces, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing or why. I have spent hours doing a multitude of combinations.
With zero results, well I did manage to make it have no change for the first 3 presets!

Has anyone programed A Vortex 2 to a korg synth?

I am only half retarded. If someone could tell me or show me how to program two presets Say, for the MI internal sound patch 47-Pipe Organ

1nput this program # here________

Input this Program LSB Here_______

Input this Program MSB Here______

and this is why you use these numbers to get patch 47-Pipe Organ

Then Comb1 Patch 00-FilmScore

1nput this program # here________

Input this Program LSB Here_______

Input this Program MSB Here______

and this is why you use these numbers to get Comb1 patch 00-FilmScore

Then I am pretty sure I could take the information and apply it to the rest of the programming I wish to accomplish

I am only trying to change from one patch to another

example:

P01 is Pipe Organ
P02 is FilmScore
P03 is MidiStack1
P03 is Piano
etc.

I don't care about pads, riibbons are anything else. I just want to perform a song with the first sound, switch sounds and perform the next song.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue here is the requirement to switch from a Program to a Combi, then to another Combi then back to Program, with no MIDI implementation guide for the iM1, and not knowing how to specify, using MIDI, the expansion cards that the iM1 comes with, although the examples given are all found in the "original" factory Programs and Combis, presumably Card 1. The original Korg M1 user manual MIDI implementation section probably won't be much use here, since the only options would have been internal Progs and Combis, and expansion card Progs and Combis. There were no banks, as such.

The Program Change buttons on the Vortex would not be able to achieve this Prog/Combi switching. However, it might be possible to suitably program the pads on the Vortex, but it would be necessary to know the required CC command structure in order to be able to do this.

It might be worth contacting Korg App Support:

https://support.korguser.net

Though reading this:

https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/community/posts/202943530-How-to-midi-control-iM1-programs-

would suggest that changing between Programs and Combis using MIDI is not possible, though someone may have hacked the SysEx required to do this.

Ralis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks again.

I used to play a Roland AX-1 with a Korg M1

I was able to have may favorite presets Stored in the AX-1. I think only 11. But you may be right I think I had to save some Programs as Combi's and only access the Combi bank it was many years ago.

I am sure I can program the iM1 the same

Still I have absolutely no idea how to program the Vortex 2 to interact with the Korg iM1
or what a CC is, or LSB or MSB, or what their idea a Program number means

Alesis has not responded
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the sysex implementation. The M1 and the iM1 may not have the same sysex implementation. It's been a couple of years since I've done any sysex programming, but I do remember that some manu's have idiosyncratic formats that their instruments expect and one line of code that works to change programs on one maker's instruments may not work another.
I don't remember too well how it works, but I do remember that one of the variables is your bank and the next the program, with stuff like switching from prog to combi (on korg instruments) being a real pain. Really the only way to get it right is to wade through the mountains of sysex info in the back of manuals to get your head around how the instrument expects to receive the data....
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Ralis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I appreciate the response, ...you are speaking Chinese to me.

I am obviously not a computer guy.

I play keyboards and sing, I am not that bright.

I do not know what a LSB or MSB is or how to use it them.

VOIP mentions a CC, guess what...no frigging clue!

Now you talk about sysex REALLY?????

Just more stuff I have never heard of!!!!

Maybe my dumb butt is not asking the correct questions

Lets forget combi’s

How can I program the midi controller so that

P01 on the votex 2 is the Korg iM1 program 47 Pipe organ?

It allows me to input:

Send on Load Yes or no
Program #______
Program LSB_____
Program MSB______

Question #1. Would I choose yes or no for “Send on load”? Why?

Question #2. What number would I input for Program# and why?

Question #3. What number would I input for LSB and why?

Question #4. What number would I input for MSB and why?

I hope that the above four questions are clear and concise. I would love to get the answers to these 4 questions only; as I am sure it is apparent that I am easily confused.

I have no Idea what any of the input selections mean or how they relate
That is just a stament of fact

I will save “What is a CC?”

And “What is. SYSEX?”

For later

I hope that I can get the answers to these 4 questions as to know what to input and why, then I believe I can figure out the rest by myself
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read voip's link to the Korg Support forum? It's got some good information there. Another suggestion is to post this problem on Alesis' forum, (http://community.alesis.com/alesis) as it seems this an issue with your controller and how to program it to send prog changes more than what does the iM1 expect to receive (that issue is addressed on the Korg Support page linked by voip).

Post Script: Oh I see your topic on the Alesis Support site, right at the top there.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Ralis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only half retarded!
The iother half found that link days befor Voip posted it

Did you read where I tried to iinput numbers?
Those number are from the link.

But I don’t know what the hell i am doing! What numbers go where? Why?

I just want answers to the 4 questions I asked previously
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this big long reply explaining a hell of a lot then the reply box stopped letting me type in it after I previewed the reply with an embedded pic so I refreshed the page and *BOOM* the reply was gone....

LSB is the bank and MSB is the program number. I dunno what goes into that first bit of your Alesis Vortex 2 programmer software which is why I suggested their support forum. Vortex seems like an appropriate name for it.

Put 0 into LSB until you reach the 127th program, then put 1 and so on. In the grand scheme of things, this is your 'coarse' value, it allows you to reach numbers over 127.
Put the program number into the MSB until you get to 128 then you need to put a 1 in to LSB and 0 in to MSB. This is your 'fine' value and your main input when things are under 127.

I understand the feeling of "I'm a muso not a computer programmer!" but sometime with electronic musical instruments, you need to be a programmer or you might just have to pay someone to do it for you. I know people who made good money in the 80's to know all this stuff. You'd think that all the info would be here at our fingertips today, but not much has changed and MIDi is still a mystic knowledge kept secret by those who put the effort to learn stuff like sysex. I always try to change that, but I've learnt all about sysex for DSI/Sequential instruments and only two of them and like I said earlier, it doesn't carry-over to other maker's instruments. I own a hardware M1 but it just works when I send a program change, so as much as I thought this might help me learn something about my instrument, it hasn't really.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of info that might clear some things up.

Think of it this way. MIDI consists of a serial data stream, basically a steam of low and high voltages (or 0 and 1), with bunches of 0s and 1s representing characters. It's a bit like watching the old teleprinters producing text a character at a time, in response to a stream of incoming data.

MSB and LSB stands for most significant byte and least significant byte. A bit like in the number 73, 7 is the most significant digit, and 3 the least significant digit. So MSB and LSB are sent in the order set out in the MIDI protocol and the target equipment is programmed to do the right things with the data.

CC is control change. It a particular part of MIDI protocol, and has it's own "fingerprint" or string of characters that allow it to be recognised as CC, so the characters sent after it are dealt with accordingly.

SysEx stands for system exclusive, and is another part of MIDI protocol, allowing "deeper" commands and information to be exchanged between MIDI devices. There is less in the way of standardisation in SysEx messages, so something that works on one manufacturer's hardware, won't necessarily work on another's.

This versatility within MIDI is one of the reasons it's been around for such a long time.

Hope this helps a bit.

iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: removed Reply with quote

removed
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.

Last edited by iowagold on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Ralis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rant away but... but to get back on the track it does not answer the 4 questions that I asked

Can anyone give a direct answer to the questions?

How can I program the midi controller so that

P01 on the Vortex Wireless 2 is the Korg iM1 program 47 Pipe organ?

The Vortex Wireless 2 allows me to input:

Send on Load Yes or no
Program #______
Program LSB_____
Program MSB______

The iM1 does not come with all the necessary information and The Vortex 2 does not come with the necessary information. I read the manuals!

I have contacted both Companies, and searched the internet, contacted individuals and no one including you has answered those four questions. So your rant is just that.

I can give an example of how to directly answer the questions but it is just an example because I do not have the correct information.

"How can I program the midi controller so that:

P01 on the vortex 2 is the Korg iM1 program 47 Pipe organ?

the Vortex 2 allows me to input:

Send on Load Yes or no
Program #______
Program LSB_____
Program MSB______

"Answer": You would choose "yes" Because when you turn on the midi controller these presets will load up

"Answer": Input 01 in the Program #. This will be the Preset number on your midi controller, when you input the next sound you want input 02

"Answer" Input 00 for LSB. This will select the M1 preset card program sounds

"Answer" Input 47 for MSB. This will select Program#47 Pipe Organ

Now save and send to your midi devise, turn it on and P01 on your midi controller will be Program #47 Pipe Organ on your iM1. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

That is how I would answer those questions being pleasant, direct and informative. Unfortunately those are not the correct answers, I tried
Very Happy Sounds good though!

But really go ahead and berate me, in the end it does nothing to help the situation.

If I do get the answers to these questions I plan to program the Vortex2 to work with the iM1 and make A detailed Video of how to do it. Post it, Share and not charge a penny.

Then others may benefit as well
Ralis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Please Help! Im about to destroy things!FINALLY SOLVED Reply with quote

Got some information from Alesis, with that I am able to answer these questions and switch sounds in the iM1 from the Vortex2

"How can I program the midi controller so that

P01 on the Vortex Wireless 2 is the Korg iM1 program 47 Pipe organ?

The Vortex Wireless 2 Editor allows me to input:

Send on Load Yes or no
Program #______
Program LSB_____
Program MSB______

Answer: Choose "Yes", because that will send the program change information, if you select "No" it will only send other information like pitch bend, pad settings or faders etc.

Answer: For Program# Input 47. This is the number of Program 47 Pipe Organ on the iM1 presets card. (Note: you must select the M1 Presets card in the iM1 App)

Answer: For LSB Input 0. LSB does not pertain to Program Change it is not necessary

Question #4. What number would I input for MSB and why?"

Answer : For MSB input 0. MSB does not pertain to Program Change it is not necessary

That's it just the PROGRAM NUMBER!

Save the preset and send it to the Vortex 2 as Preset Number 1

Now on the Vortex 2 P01 is Program #47 Pipe Organ in the iM1 with the M1 Presets card selected!

The Vortex Manual is very Vague, no instructions it just says input program change here input LSB here, input MSB here Etc.

If it had only said to change from one sound to another, input Yes for "Send on Load" and input the number of the patch you want in Program#. That is it save and send!

I plan to save my favorite sounds as Multi's in User card and select that at the beginning of a set. That way there is no need to switch banks or cards. I can program the Vortex 2 so that P01 is the first sound P02 the second and so on!

Voip And megamarkd thank you! You are correct, I am so old that I remember it as Systems Exclusive information not Sysex and I never needed to mess with that to just change sounds. And CC! YES I remember now but Alesis did not call Program# a CC, which it is! If it was called Program CC# I would have gotten it. It seems that companies are using different vocabulary for commands. Now that this is solved I will continue to explore the LSB and MSB options.

Yay Happy day!
Razz
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Please Help! Im about to destroy things!FINALLY SOLVED Reply with quote

Ralis wrote:
It seems that companies are using different vocabulary for commands. Now that this is solved I will continue to explore the LSB and MSB options.

Glad to hear you've got it sorted. And yes, there are all sorts of problems that wouldn't be if makes all ues the same terminology. Once you get your head around sysex and what you want to do with it, the only hurdle is not going mad thinking in hex. After programming a controller for my Tetra, I didn't want to look at another string of hex again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: