Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Good Hammond samples/paches
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried the Neo Vent pedal but IMHO the Organimation sounds are amazing! I've been using them for a few years now.

As far as using them in a combi, it's not impossible, it just depends on what your other sounds need effects wise. If you find an organ sound that works, first I recommend seeing which IFX you can get by without. Sometimes you don't need to have all of them running. Not always, but sometimes.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Carbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to second the Neo Ventilator. I use one on my Hammond and it makes a huge difference. I downloaded the Organimation programs which do sound better then the stock Kronos examples. Thinking of routing them to individual outputs and feeding them direct into the Neo. Bet it will sound awesome. I hope not too good cause I really would miss the Hammond!
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I have used the CX-3 engine for a while and was happy with it (I was using NI B4II before I got my Kronos), I am now in love with GSi VB3 2 through an IK MUltimedia Leslie (endorsed by Hammond). That pair makes one great sounding organ!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
janrhansen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VB-3 2 is definetly one of the best choices. The organimation library sounds nice too way better than the CX-3 engine. I simply can't get it into my head what Korg engineers were thinking when they designed it. The wavesart libraries generally sounds impressive in the demo videos, and they sure arent cheap either Smile The problem I see with them is you kinda HAVE to use combi mode because of how they are created. Off cause my solution to this was the Crumar Mojo61 (wich I had before i purchased my Kronos), so I really don't need organ sounds for the Kronos, as the Mojo does a better job ootb than anything available for the Kronos. If you are using a computer the new VB3 2.0 plugin is crazy good, and if you get the D9X controller you have all the organ controllers in one small handy box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lp4-NwJYXM

https://youtu.be/KjxQKpb58DE
Stoffel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used organimation for a long time and the library is far better than the factory sounds, but the overdrive still is way too harsh for me to sound authentic.
Then I got the chance to test the Neo Instruments Ventilator II and was able to test it against a real Leslie.
The sound is just amazing! I could not hear a difference between this emulation of a Leslie 122 and the recorded real thing - even in mono!

On my HP I have posted a free program for the kronos with inserted Ventilator between Out 4 and In 2. The (normalised) overdrive is adjustible via joystick and can be stored. Mostly all of the knobs and sliders are programmed to edit organ parameters. HowTo.txt is in the zip archive.
Have fun!

http://www.stoffelshome.de/kronos/samples.html
Hector Space

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m lucky enough to have owned a real Hammond and Leslie back in the day (M102 L122 both of 1967 vintage!). Today I have a Nord Electro3, Kurzweil Forte with KB3, a Kronos 2 61 with CX3 and a Neo Vent 2.
I’ve spent many many hours, if not years working on getting good Hammond sounds from my rig for live work.
I have to say that even with the real thing it isn’t easy.
The quickest fix is my Nord Electro 3 which does a better job than my Hammond ever did.
I absolutely needed the Neo Vent 2 with my Kurzweil Forte to get the KB3 to work anyway near good enough (The double KDFX Leslies don’t help either!!). I also tried a GSI Burn, a EH Lester K and a Lex Strymon. Of these the Lex and the Vent were easily the best.
With the Kronos CX3 the Vent isn’t so necessary. I’ve configured double Leslie's using an additional iFX rotary with OD. As described on this forum. It works very well. And for gigging it’s less hassle than having to wire up additional boxes like the Vent.
One thing I haven’t managed to get sounding quite right is the C3 chorus vibrato. Whether preset or user configured, it just doesn’t sound right. The Nord E3 does C3 chorus vib beautifully, even the KB3 does a passable C3 chorus vib. The Kronos CX3 C3 chorus vib effect is boarder line. It’s an odd thing to fail on. I suppose if you’re not a Hammond nut you probably wouldn’t notice. But that C3 effect is vital to a whole set of classic sounds.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hector Space"The Kronos CX3 C3 chorus vib effect is boarder line. It’s an odd thing to fail on. I suppose if you’re not a Hammond nut you probably wouldn’t notice. But that C3 effect is vital to a whole set of classic sounds.[/quote]

Actually if you look at some of all the Hammond "copies", even the Clonewheels is getting close today, the Scanner Vibrato is still something that most clonewheels fail more or less on. It seems to be incredible hard to emulate correct. Some do a fair job but none of them sound like a real scanner.

I am a big fan of the late Klaus Wunderlich, and I still havn't seen a clonewheel that can emulate his sound. On many of his registrations he don't use much leslie really, but rather he uses the C/V scanner, and its near impossible to get even close to his sound if you don't have a Hammond H100 or similar.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed real Hammond scanner vibrato or C3 chorus / vibrato is overlooked and under valued by many clonewheels.
For example Roland removed the full VK rotary and Chorus / Vibrato (C/V) simulation from their RD series so on their RD2000 even though they gone on about have the full 9 draw bars and rotary, they don’t have any C/V at all! Kawai’s MP7se C/v sim is pants!
Nord’s C/V is pretty good on the NE3,4,5, I think probably the closest to the real thing. Certainly way better than Korg's Kronos CX3 which just sounds wrong below the top 1.5 octaves. I also quite like Kurzweil’s KB3 C/V but it isn’t that authentic.
Listening to Jimmy Smith or Keith Emerson or Early Rick Wakeman in Yes or James Taylor, you can hear that C/V effect in all its glory!
The frustrating thing is it’s only a mechanical rotating coil in a circular field of pickups. It should not be that difficult to simulate if you can do a full Leslie.
I guess they just haven’t put enough time to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: