Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red line on Touch Screen display

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Red line on Touch Screen display Reply with quote

The display on my Kronos has suddenly acquired a thin (maybe a little less than 1mm) vertical red line. It is visible as soon as I power up. My first thought is that one tiny bit of the display must have given out. It hasn't affected its functionality in any way.
I've had the Kronos for about seven years now, from new, and it has been pretty much faultless. Maybe this is one of the first signs of its mortality.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? If so, were you able to resolve it?
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced that years ago on my ex Roland Fantom G8. The fin line on its screen was blue. I think it was due to my fault and a kind of electric shock : I had shut down and shut up too rapidly my Fantom F without waiting for some minutes.
It did not affect the full functions of the Fantom G.
When I sold it years after : I sold it very cheap and it still works well.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that happen before and then it went away.

That was so long ago that i cannot remember how long it lasted or anything about what may have caused it or what stopped it.

I was even getting the idea that i once read about it in one of the guides, but so far have found nothing in Operation Guide or the Parameter guide.
Maybe it was mentioned in a video or on the forum?

Anyway.... It went away for me.

Now i am starting to get a faint memory of having a series of lines across the entire screen. But not sure if that was kronos or a memory from when i had Triton Extreme. Lines which were like note book lines that i had in my school days.
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for two interesting replies.

Kronosphere - I don't recall having done something similar to have provoked this problem, but that isn't to say that I haven't done something else that might have produced the same effect. I am fortunate, in that the position that the line is in isn't usually too invasive. It is most visible when powering up, or on any other page with a black background (such as a Poly Six editing page). When I am in other pages, such as the Sequencer menu where I spent most of my time, it is far less of an issue. I just hope that it won't spread, or else be a symptom of a bigger problem elsewhere in the Kronos.

19naia - it's interesting that yours went away after a while. You're right about it having been covered previously, by the way. Having read your reply, I did a little searching of the forum and found this - http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=92216&sid=1810885b3d437e795c9537b66c3d6478.
There is also a post from the old Triton Extreme forum here - http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65338&sid=8b9f4e3ae828d9f53cbf426c34f34e1d.
From what someone said on there, one possible resolution would be to unplug the connectors to the screen and then plug them back in. I've never taken the back off the Kronos, and so I have no idea how tricky that might be.

I suppose that my best bet at the moment is just to live with it, and see what happens next. Thanks to both of you for your help.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the red line visible against the main white background screens, or only against the black boot up screen? The fault suggests the vertical LCD driver for that vertical line has either stopped working, or its connection to that line on the LCD has failed, which could just be a poor contact, hence other folks observations of the issue disappearing over time.

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was not a yellow line.
I also think mine was a horizontal line.
I think playing around with the screen brightness or whatever that screen resolution or visibility setting is called. That made the line more or less visible and may have been what caused more lines seem to appear.

I don’t recall any vertical lines in my screeenk.
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red line is always visible, but shows up much more against a black background. As I mentioned before, it's far less of an issue at other times - which in my case is usually going to be in Sequencer mode.
If you open the track edit page, you'll see that there are two vertical lines running across the main grid which denote the beginning and end of whatever part of the song you have selected. The red line that I am now getting happens to coincide with the left hand vertical line, although of course it runs across the whole screen.
As you say, it may just be a poor contact.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The fault suggests the vertical LCD driver for that vertical line has either stopped working, or its connection to that line on the LCD has failed, which could just be a poor contact.

Or a failure of that particular line on the LCD itself. If your Kronos is still under warranty, definitely bring it in for service. Otherwise, if it isn't too annoying you can just live with it until it starts getting worse.

It is almost certainly a hardware issue that won't go away with any software/firmware update.
pete.m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Xenophile - I did wonder about a failure of that one particular line, but don't know how the display is manufactured and so couldn't really be sure. I'm way out of warranty and, because it's not getting in the way of the work I do, I think I'll just live with it and wait to see which way it's going to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: