Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome ending?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Krome ending? Reply with quote

According to Sweetwater's Black Friday deals, the Krome 61 is selling for about $850, and they're describing it as a "closeout deal".

Any chance of a Krome 2, or is the line ending?
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I see on that webpage is Black Friday Sale and Limited-time offer... no "closeout."
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to their black friday deal link, click on the "Keys & MIDI" header, and scroll down a bit until you find the Krome 61.

It says in red lettering: "Closeout Deal!"

Other things about it are weird too. It says "Was: $850.00" and now "SALE! $845.00" and the round says "SAVE $199" which is a bit strange. By my math that's a saving of $5, but ...
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the "closeout deal" reference is only on that one page. Possibly an error.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would buy a krome if it was just as expensive as a modx?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus: probably someone who wants a more powerful sequencer? The Krome's claim to fame is more its sequencer than its sound management.

And it does seem as if it's about to be discontinued, based on some conversations I've had. Interesting to see if a Krome 2 comes into existence - or a multi-engined Krome 2 as a Kronos followup? Wouldn't surprise me if KORG decided to clean up the line a bit.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Bachus: probably someone who wants a more powerful sequencer? The Krome's claim to fame is more its sequencer than its sound management.

And it does seem as if it's about to be discontinued, based on some conversations I've had. Interesting to see if a Krome 2 comes into existence - or a multi-engined Krome 2 as a Kronos followup? Wouldn't surprise me if KORG decided to clean up the line a bit.

Why would you want an onboard sequencer these days?
Using the ipad pro with the modx gives one anything one needs... and more..

I know, i know, i know, some people still want everything inside the box..
But using an ipad in combination with the modx is refreshing..
its an experience that even outlives the kronos sequencer by miles..

With the usb audio interface inside the modx, the ipad really feels like an extension of the modx..
hans1966

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Koekepan wrote:

With the usb audio interface inside the modx, the ipad really feels like an extension of the modx..

Hello Bachus, I understand that you have to be on par with technology, that is continuously advancing, and I would like to learn how to use external software that controls my keyboard and from which I can perform a MIDI / AUDIO musical production. but I'm still stuck in the old system of doing everything on my keyboard (songs, styles, recordings) I would really like to have a light on this subject, that can help me improve the workflow. I'm curious to know what the word "performance" means and what is the difference between a "performance synthesizer or workstation" and a "traditional" workstation. thanks in advance for your answer.

I choose the Peace of God!
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans1966 wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Hello Bachus, I understand that you have to be on par with technology, that is continuously advancing, and I would like to learn how to use external software that controls my keyboard and from which I can perform a MIDI / AUDIO musical production. but I'm still stuck in the old system of doing everything on my keyboard (songs, styles, recordings) I would really like to have a light on this subject, that can help me improve the workflow.
Quote:
google and youtube are your best friends, there is so many videos on this

I'm curious to know what the word "performance" means
Quote:
performance is a single setup on yamaha synths, comparable to a combi on the Kronos

and what is the difference between a "performance synthesizer or workstation" and a "traditional" workstation.
Quote:
a performance synth (montage, modx, jupiter80) is a workstation with non or very basic recording features and sequencing

thanks in advance for your answer.

Hope this helps
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans1966 wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Hello Bachus, I understand that you have to be on par with technology, that is continuously advancing, and I would like to learn how to use external software that controls my keyboard and from which I can perform a MIDI / AUDIO musical production. but I'm still stuck in the old system of doing everything on my keyboard (songs, styles, recordings) I would really like to have a light on this subject, that can help me improve the workflow.
Quote:
google and youtube are your best friends, there is so many videos on this

I'm curious to know what the word "performance" means
Quote:
performance is a single setup on yamaha synths, comparable to a combi on the Kronos

and what is the difference between a "performance synthesizer or workstation" and a "traditional" workstation.
Quote:
a performance synth (montage, modx, jupiter80) is a workstation with non or very basic recording features and sequencing

thanks in advance for your answer.

Hope this helps
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an iPad, I don't even have a current OSX machine.

In fact, I don't even have a Windows machine.

So anybody suggesting that "it's all better if you use *insert technology here*" is papering over the key fact that you're missing functions in what would notionally be an all-in-one machine.

The Krome is a decent synthesis workstation, with a good linear sequencer. I use it as such, and I appreciate it, but in reality my workstation is my studio. I can go from idea through notation through sequencers through synthesis through effects through mixing through mastering in my studio. No general purpose computers required at all.

I have found that if I do work in a computer, I work fast and well. If I work on dedicated hardware, I work fast and well. But moving between the two is a pain in the butt, so for my own productivity and sanity's sake, I've drawn a bright line between them.

In fact, this week I should take delivery of Tascam's flagship portastudio. My studio, as a deconstructed workstation, will take another leap forward. The Krome being my best linear sequencer will continue to be a key pillar in that structure. If KORG just drops that function entirely, it will be a sad day for them - but not for me so much. I got mine.
hans1966

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kokepan, what study are you using, which allows you so many things at once? (Notation, mixing, recording and mastering) I would be interested in having one, and how much it costs. regards

Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans1966 wrote:
Hi Kokepan, what study are you using, which allows you so many things at once? (Notation, mixing, recording and mastering) I would be interested in having one, and how much it costs. regards

It's my studio. In it I have pencil and staff paper for notation. I have sequencers such as the one in the Krome for taking it to MIDI. I can use the Krome as a studio master to drive synthesisers (either external or its own on-board engine) and then I can mix with my analogue mixers. Using a multitrack recorder I can overdub, do more mixing, and finally master a track.

Or, when I'm working in the box I can do everything using, for example, Musescore for notation, output to MIDI for import into software such as renoise or sunvox, and master using audacity.

The point that I was making is that the workstation is a studio equivalent, but in the same sense the studio is a workstation equivalent. If companies such as KORG give up on the all-in-one workstation such as the Kronos, we'll just have to go back to assembling our studios the way that I have. I'm hoping that Akai Professional will sort out the MPC X for the full process, but they haven't quite done it yet. They offer the studio centrepiece, but its mixing and mastering options are still thin.

Live keyboard performers have a different use case, with a lot more current market options.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
hans1966 wrote:

It's my studio. In it I have pencil and staff paper for notation. I have sequencers such as the one in the Krome for taking it to MIDI. I can use the Krome as a studio master to drive synthesisers (either external or its own on-board engine) and then I can mix with my analogue mixers. Using a multitrack recorder I can overdub, do more mixing, and finally master a track.

Or, when I'm working in the box I can do everything using, for example, Musescore for notation, output to MIDI for import into software such as renoise or sunvox, and master using audacity.

The point that I was making is that the workstation is a studio equivalent, but in the same sense the studio is a workstation equivalent. If companies such as KORG give up on the all-in-one workstation such as the Kronos, we'll just have to go back to assembling our studios the way that I have. I'm hoping that Akai Professional will sort out the MPC X for the full process, but they haven't quite done it yet. They offer the studio centrepiece, but its mixing and mastering options are still thin.

Live keyboard performers have a different use case, with a lot more current market options.

Sure you can do everything from the Krome. Which is fine if you are happy. But the point is, you can do most production related things from a daw(be it on mac, pc or ipad) more efficiently due to the improved interface. And so save time on the workflow and spend more time on the actual creative process.

No need to change what your doing, especially since you are so happy with it. Just saying a well set up DAW with some training can do all those things just a little more efficiently especially where it comes to editing (midi and audio) and mastering.

But you are right in doing things the way you like to do them.

Yet, i doubt we will see many more fullfledged workstations from Korg or any other company in the future. I expect Korg wants to push Gadget in the territory of DAW's and MPC/Maschine, as a tool for combining hardware and software. Integration from the keyboard with the Gadgets sequencer.

But they still have a long road to cover. As its still mostly a performance tool and not a production tool. But when using Gadget on the ipad, i am using cubasis to record the audio trough audiobus3.

So my best bet is that Krome 2 will come with gadget integration..
hans1966

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bachus, thank you very much for your valuable response. I will keep this in mind when buying a workstation keyboard. regards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: