Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the numbers on setlist as registration memory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nikjer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Using the numbers on setlist as registration memory Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I own a psr s970. I've bought a Korg pa700 very recently. I was just wondering, if I could use those buttons numbered 1-9 as registration memory like in my s970. I can store individual styles, tones, pads etc.. into the registration memory on my psr s970. But does Korg have any option like that?

Please let me know.[/i]
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget all about your Yamaha operating system the Korg system is totally different and there is no such thing as a Registration in a Korg.

If you have not already done so look at the Korg A700 Video Manual tutorials on Youtube and all your questions should be answered.

With your Korg the whole way it operates is that you use the Style of choice to create a Songbook entry, with the Style customised with the desired intros, fills, pad sounds, FX and four Sounds which are selected via the button or touchscreen.

Once you have created the Songbook entries you want you can then create a Setlist (as many of these as you want) which in itself is full customisable.

Think Korg not Yamahaha
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
.. Think Korg not Yamahaha ..

It is not necessary to forget all about Yamaha operating system and for Korg-Pa players this competitive thinking is completely pointless.

With "AutoSelect-Performance" (Autoselect KbdSet) you have the opportunity to use two methods (Songbook and Autoselect KbdSet) in full, in parallel and in combination with each other. Autoselect-KbdSet allows - like on the method of the Memory Banks - to use up to 16 single-touch-DirectAccess-buttons to select Performances / KbdSets / Registrations depending on the Pa-model (ie Pa700/1000 with 9 buttons).

Unfortunately Korg partially has abandoned the previous "performances way of working" because missing button "StyleChange". With that button "on" using Pa-Keyboards in Autoselect-Mode (Performances=KbdSets) it was possible to use KeyboardSetLibrary-Buttons (Perf-Buttons) in the same manner as using Registration-Memory-Buttons of your s970.

Korg again have this option to use the nine KeyboardSetLibrary-Buttons in AutoSelect-Mode, where you can store individual registrations - but now without styles.

Songbook feature does not fully fulfill the function of the Registration Memories, because Korg has forgotten to implement a setlist change even without performing style change optionally.

So in the next OS update a freeze function would be necessary to prevent the automatic change of style when changing the Sb-entry (especially the set lists) with a lock parameter (Lock-StyleChange).

So overall functional diversity unfortunately with the last model series has not evolved but become poorer. The Sb function with setlist we also had with previous model versions (acceptable novelty at least "previous"-function was realized and set list now with library buttons is controllable)

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
Biggles wrote:
.. Think Korg not Yamahaha ..

It is not necessary to forget all about Yamaha operating system and for Korg-Pa players this competitive thinking is completely pointless.

With "AutoSelect-Performance" (Autoselect KbdSet) you have the opportunity to use two methods (Songbook and Autoselect KbdSet) in full, in parallel and in combination with each other. Autoselect-KbdSet allows - like on the method of the Memory Banks - to use up to 16 single-touch-DirectAccess-buttons to select Performances / KbdSets / Registrations depending on the Pa-model (ie Pa700/1000 with 9 buttons).

Unfortunately Korg partially has abandoned the previous "performances way of working" because missing button "StyleChange". With that button "on" using Pa-Keyboards in Autoselect-Mode (Performances=KbdSets) it was possible to use KeyboardSetLibrary-Buttons (Perf-Buttons) in the same manner as using Registration-Memory-Buttons of your s970.

Korg again have this option to use the nine KeyboardSetLibrary-Buttons in AutoSelect-Mode, where you can store individual registrations - but now without styles.

Songbook feature does not fully fulfill the function of the Registration Memories, because Korg has forgotten to implement a setlist change even without performing style change optionally.

So in the next OS update a freeze function would be necessary to prevent the automatic change of style when changing the Sb-entry (especially the set lists) with a lock parameter (Lock-StyleChange).

So overall functional diversity unfortunately with the last model series has not evolved but become poorer. The Sb function with setlist we also had with previous model versions (acceptable novelty at least "previous"-function was realized and set list now with library buttons is controllable)

So yet again we have another rant by yourself starting off with an attempt at discrediting a perfectly valid

Its always the same, nobody is right but you.

Yet again you fail to answer the very questions that the Op asks and you kniw that the whole ethos of how the PA1000/700 is now intended to work is via Songbook.

The Korg is what it is and as you seem to forever go on and on about limitations then I fail to see why you do not see what Korg gear you do have and move to another manufacturer who makes the type of keyboard tou desire.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
.. you fail to answer the very questions that the Op asks ......

It was you again to fail to answer the very questions " if I could use those buttons numbered 1-9 as registration memory".
Correct answer and fact is:
1) Yes, you can use Pa-Keyboards as you do with S970 Registration-Memories, if you use AutoSelect-Keyboard-Feature - in which unfortunately the function "StyleChange" was omitted in the last series.
2) You also can use Songbook-Features, unfortunately there is a lack of a freeze-/lock-function to continuously use registrations with different Sb entries without automatically changing the style.
Biggles wrote:
... move to another manufacturer ...

If you are satisfied with limitations or with the missing functions that Korg already had in the entry-level models of the previous generations - its yours, but has nothing to do with it whatever brand you want.

That is no issue here - no one asked for it. You don't have to tell me that I should change the manufacter because that's my private decision whether I want to - I like arranger keyboards with reasonable functions, without retrograde trends in product development.

And it is also my decision pointing out, what features and functions are missing from the new generation models, but were already present in the previous models.

It should be pointed out as often as it is forgotten here what functional standard we already had!

You should support me in my demand that these missing features, which have enabled a much more variable use through advanced functions, be supplemented again by an OS update.

Biggles wrote:
.. manufacturer who makes the type of keyboard you desire ...

We already had that type of keyboards - so be fair and accept the facts, including the mistakes of product development omitting functions. Your euphemistic hints are not even a correct answer to the question asked - above all. Foremost they do not help, so that the Pa keyboards are at least would raise to the functional standard again we already had - for example, to be able to use "Autoselect" with "StyleChange" as comfortably as certain brands of arranger keyboards on the market use with its Registration-Memories.

PS: Auto-Select-KbdSet is nothing competitive to Songbook but complement each other excellently - as experienced with previous models!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
B.Safe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
...so be fair and accept the facts, including the mistakes of product development omitting functions...

Do you really think that Korg is doing such basic "mistakes of product development" ?
I rather guess that it is the result of a marketing choice.
And every choice makes obviously some people unhappy.

From what i see here and on other forums, there are not so many unhappy with this change. Are there ?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
... really think that Korg is doing such basic "mistakes of product development" ? I rather guess that it is the result of a marketing choice. From what i see here and on other forums, there are not so many unhappy with this change ..

As a customer who already knows previous models with a certain functional level, I am not interested in the "result of a marketing choice" and it is annoying when usable functions disappear and no longer exist. Of course, this does not apply to those who have never used these missing functions.

Anyone who has bought a new keyboard with the limited functions for the first time does not know the variety of functions that already existed and you do not deal with how these functions could be used. Of course, one does not notice the retrograde product development.

Those who have not yet coped with the parametrisable functions will of course welcome missing functions for easier handling. For experienced users omitting functions is certainly not a positive "result of a marketing choice", but a negative "product development" for more discerning customers.

This is the trend towards the development to simple instruments with reduced functional diversity. For me seems to be such basic "mistakes of product development" - for you be happy with this change. I would prefer functional diversity in order to be able to continue usage of instruments as variably as possible - not possible with limitations.

PS: Question that the Op asks " if I could use those buttons numbered 1-9 as registration memory" was easy to answer with "Yes" in case using a Pa3x/800/500.
You could do this with "Autoselect" and "StyleChange" additional / parallel to usage of Songbook (that is nothing new) - you can NOT do this with Pa700 because limited with lack of "StyleChange".

Shouldn't Korg try to realize this simple task, which had already been solved in the past or at least try to adapt the Songbook feature with a simple parameter "Lock Style Change" to continue to have this functionality? Or is it easier to use the excuse "result of a marketing choice" for such mistakes?

B.Safe wrote:
... that it is the result of a marketing choice. From what i see here and on other forums, there are not so many unhappy with this change ..

Also if there are not so many unhappy with this change - I do not acclaim this like an opportun user, who prevent sensible product development rather than promoting it.

B.Safe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
...Of course, this does not apply to those who have never used these missing functions...

That's where you are wrong in your exercise of trying to force people to think your way : "the retrograde product development"

I was myself a user of the "Style Change" button on my previous PA800. At that time I was coming from the Yamaha world and trying to stick to known procedures. That was before I made the effort to understand the Korg philosophy. Without that "Style Change" I would have gained a lot of time. So for me it is really an improvement. But that's just me.

I know I will not achieve to convince you, but at least I cannot let you use wrong facts.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
.. wrong in ... trying to .. retrograde product development ...

I do not think so - I have learned that OS updates only are made if you show which features are missing or wrong. If nothing necessary to be complained is not complained about, nothing happens at all.

B.Safe wrote:
... made the effort to understand the Korg philosophy. Without that "Style Change" I would have gained a lot of time ......

That exactly I mentioned - those who have not yet coped with some functions or did not use them or was not useful for them, have no troubles if functions disappear. Solution for this is simple - don't use this function; no one is forced to NOT to use an existing but unliked function.

But it is a shame, not to be able to use a usual function anymore, because it has simply been omitted - maybe to save a few cents in production costs.

B.Safe wrote:
.. I cannot let you use wrong facts .. ...

Maybe you never grasped how to correctly use Autoselect and StyleChange, so i think it is you with wrong facts. As mentioned before - also if your keyboard would be equipped with StyleChange - simply do not use it (I also never use TapTemp, because I do not need it).

But it is fact, you could use buttons numbered 1-9 in same manner as registration memory in case using a Pa3x/800/500 with "Autoselect" and "StyleChange". Also it is fact you can not do that with Pa700, because you unfortunately not anymore are able to freeze/unlock Style-Change (because missing). Otherwise use buttons 1-9 would be possible to be used for registration as did OP (Original Poster) with his S970. That is what we are talking about here.

PS: Also it is fact, each time you change sb-entry in set-list-mode, style linked with sb-entry automatically is loaded. An On-Off "Lock Style Change" would be an enrichment to stop this automatic loading process, to optionally use next sb-entry with all that properties of just running style-performance. It would not be necessary pre-programming of sb-entries separately - and with that, an soft-overlapping transition also would be achieved.

B.Safe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

As I told you, I am not expecting you to change your mind as in your opinion, the only reason why I have a different position is that I cannot grasp how to use Autoselect and StyleChange.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
.. Songbook is the most usefull tool to maintain a library of songs/styles. Songbook entries can hold far more parameters than keyboard sets ....

This opinion I accept as accurate, because Style-Change pre-programmed and coupled with KbdSets and changed together is good for running a scheduled expiration on stage - a typical area of application for the songbook with Pa1000/700. But same Sb is unsuitable for making music intuitive, impulsive and spontaneous.

To playalong without to be bound to a songlist, it is not necessary to select a songbook-entry. It is much more important to be free for using as much registrations as possible with an intuitve, spontan access - you can do that with "Autoselect KbdSet".

For this kind of music it is not important to pre-program sb-entries for switching to a different style or song, because also to differ variations or sounds of style-element or changes respectively to related styles from the style group happens intuitive and spontaneous. This is better done without the rigid assignment of entries in songbook, but with "Autoselect Style" and inactive "StyleToKbdSet".

Separate selections of a larger number of registrations and styles seem better to be done with "AutoSelects". While previous devices had the opportunity to implement a simultaneous change of both groups with "StyleChange" if necessary, this option is missing in the latest series of Pa-Keyboards.
There a similar functionality is achievable with the set lists of the songbook, but for this you need a parameter "LockStyle" to prevent the joint switching of styles and KbdSets.

In an OS update, I am appealing to Korg to implement a "LockStyle" parameter with which you can suppress the loading of the style at selection of a Sb entry with Sb-SetList.

This would help everyone - both the musician who prepares his instrument with the songbook for song-oriented processes as well as those who do not need the strict, joint songoriented switch of real-time and background tracks.

B.Safe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeating the same arguments over and over again will not make them the truth.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
Repeating the same arguments over and over again will not make them the truth.

This unfair sideswipe is expendable, because my arguments anyone can check himself with the existing functions - which can't be handled from your missing arguments.
Whether arguments are right or not, everyone can decide for themselves - simple to control, but maybe you never grasped what is being talked about in this thread.

B.Safe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

siebenhirter wrote:
...but maybe you never grasped what is being talked about in this thread.

Of course, you are the only one to understand an instrument that you do not even have.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration memory vs sb-entries and autoselect Reply with quote

B.Safe wrote:
siebenhirter wrote:
...but maybe you never grasped what is being talked about in this thread.

Of course, you are the only one to understand an instrument that you do not even have.

Your blows are ridiculous - but does not matter, because you qualify yourself to be the one not to understand an instrument that you already have in use.

That is no shame, maybe I can help - simply ask what are your problems. But to seriously describe technical issues correctly, use your manual beforehand in the future, so that it is recognizeable what the information you need.

Otherwise, with reasonable arguments you could refute if functions of the instruments are not properly described here, rather than placing rude nonsense statements, that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: