Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading SSD drive - problem. Could soneone assist please?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Upgrading SSD drive - problem. Could soneone assist please? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

new to the forum so please bear with me. I'm a long standing korg owner / user. for more years than I care to remember, going back to the M1, 01W, etc.

I recently took the plunge for studio and road use and purchased both a kronos 2 88 and kronos LS88, both of which I love. the LS is to go on the road with while the 2 stays home permanently set up.

I purchased some WD 256GB SSD's WD Blue) as I've used them before on other systems.

I had been reading articles on the forum regarding SSD upgrades but these articles are a bit out of date, especially with SSD recommendations.

now then, my plan was to install 2 x 256gb SSD drives on my kronos 2 88 and the same for the LS, so that drive 1 has sample data, drive 2 is purely recording and backup.

I had attempted to install a replacement SSD for drive 1 (to swap from the original SSD) however, as I tried to format the disk using the restore media, it hung and that was it., so, removed the new SSD and installed the original.

Installed the drive as backup and booted both machines with just the backup / recording SSD's fitted. all's ok.

Could anyone please advise me as to any workaround for this issue? Surely replacing the boot SSD could be done, physically it's doable, seems though that the software doesn't like the idea.

one note of interest. I noticed that though the board uses 2 x SATA lines, the OS considers them as IDE connections, dear god are we still in the stone age with linux?

Could anyone help me with this issue please? I'd much appreciate some help here.

As a bit of info, the reson behind wanting to install 2 x 256gb ssd's on 2 x kronos units is this, I no longer have a recording studio, this is due to dad passing away in December and Lloyds bank forcing me to close my studio down, sell assets, etc or mum and I be homeless. My old studio was protools HD based with tools I needed, now I've decided that the 2 kronos rigs are enough to cover what I need at home and on the road.. OK an odd method, but I'd rather the self contained route.

P.S: anyone got a korg D32XD for sale?

All the best

Lew
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading SSD drive - problem. Could soneone assist plea Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:

I had attempted to install a replacement SSD for drive 1 (to swap from the original SSD) however, as I tried to
format the disk using the restore media, it hung and that was it., so, removed the new SSD and installed the original.
Surely replacing the boot SSD could be done, physically it's doable, seems though that the software doesn't like the idea.

There are some critical parameters when using installation DVDs for formatting a different boot SSD than original
where procedure might fail depending on DVD drive compatibility and maybe some SSDs factory firmware.
The guaranteed procedure that mostly works is cloning boot SSD in another bigger one using either ready devices for that
purpose nor DIY with specific utilities that have been tested for accurate cloning of Linux Ext2/3 multiple partitions and then
expanding the last Ext2 partition of new SSD up to its max capacity.
Browse forum for similar articles ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg themselves recommend not replacing the original boot drive if avoidable. Instead, they recommend adding a second SSD. This is the route I took quite some time ago and it works really well.

If you're intent on replacing the boot drive and you're having problems reinstalling from the restore media, the only other option might be to clone the SSD from the old to the new via computer. You'll probably need to resize the partition and filesystem in the process to take advantage of the additional space.

I'm not sure why the restore media is having problems installing on the new drive though. Could be a number of issues, but as it doesn't present diagnostic output it's going to make troubleshooting difficult!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree : although changing and replacing boot SSD can be done - and many succeed - keeping the original SSD adding a second SSD is far, far more easy and safe than creating a new boot ssd.
So, if I had a advice it would be to re-install your initial 60 GB boot SSD and simply add a second one (why not a 500 GB SSD il you need this capacity).
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, thank you for your replies.

With response to AntonySharmman, the DVD drive in question is a new LG GP57EB40 Ultra Portable Slim DVD-RW - Black and for safety I used a Y cable to power from both USB ports of the kronos.

I have successfully installed 1 of the 250gb drives in each machine, though I do have to say I had to find out through personal experience how to gain access to the mainboard of the kronos 2-88 as a weighted action is much larger than the LS mechanism and there is a plate covering part of the mainboard which you unscrew to add the 2nd sata cable. that went fine.

In order for me to clone the factory SSD, can this be done on a mac or do I need a windows machine? if so, I'll struggle there as the only rig in my place is a mac running latest OS. so any thoughts would be a huge help.

I did come across a thread where users of the early kronos and kronos OS had issues with installing SSD's larger than 128gb but that was the 1st revision kronos / kronos X to my understanding and drives listed at the time are no longer available.

The reason behind the plan to upgrade the original SSD is this:

Based on working with protools systems and the basis behind handling streaming data, you don't record on the same drive as the OS / sample volumes as you slow the bus down for the sata port in question, this comes from many years working with systems that handle this degree of disk access. even SSD's in their blazing speeds can still have bottle necks when the SATA bus is reading / writing to the same drive.

So, the plan for both machines was to install 250gb ssd's as boot drives with the sample libraries / krs files, etc available, then use drive 2 for audio recording / project work. I've also noted that the maximum speed of the 60gb drive installed by default is slower in both read and write than the drives I work with today, however, if it's the case I have to stick to the 60gb drive, then ok fair enough.

If I were to run a version of linux via VirtualBox, then connect via USB the drive in question, then 1:1 clone from there and extend the last sectors you mentioned, would this work?

Sorry about this, Don't want to cause any headaches here but as I don't have a multitrack system for production anymore, I'm relying strictly on 2 kronos rigs, which by the way, having spent the last 2 days with, I'm in love with them, especially the LS.

lew
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- The regular way to expand your Disks capacity for studio work is to install a second SSD of the required size that
suits you and easy way of all end-users and also use external USB media devices for your compositions like a fast
256 Gb USB 3 stick (with USB2 compatibility).
- The reason that I always use one large system SSD , is that as an Engineer I distrust all SSDs that you can never
be relied on them since 3 of my customers and one ASUS high quality SSD of my own Kronos were internally destroyed
with zero data recovery !
- From that moment I always use one only 256-500 Gb boot/system SSD in secondary SATA port of mobo and use an
extension/external SATA port on Kronos case that is connected to primary SATA port , and in case of failure of system
SSD , I place the cloned one in external SATA port and Kronos is booting from it , "saving" my gigging in 2 minutes
booting time with identical cloned SSD and continuing from that point ...
- I do not trust any Mac utilities not even Linux virtual machines for this complex cloning job of 5 Linux Ext2/3 SSD
partitions , so my advice is to use the guaranteed boot time application CloneZilla that computer distributors are cloning all
OS & System SSDs , in expert mode (you have to study interface) , and then re-partition/extend last EXt2 partition to
the last sector with any Mac utility that supports Linux.
The easy way to do it is to devote 40$ for a ready device to do the job like
https://www.inateck.com/inateck-fd2002-usb-3-0-hdd-docking-station-dock-klonen-fur-2-5-3-5-zoll-sataiiiiii.html

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interisting process, Anthony.

1°) I suppose you did a hole on the Kronos case, in order to get one Sata wire out ? Is that corect ?

2°) As the Kronos SSD is not a Windows system, and as the docking station you told about works on windows, does it work for cloning the SSD Kronos system ?

3°) As the Kronos factory SSD has a 60gb partition, how did you extend it to 250 (or 500gb) ? Did you use a sepcial soft tool ?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

1°) I suppose you did a hole on the Kronos case, in order to get one Sata wire out ? Is that corect ?

2°) As the Kronos SSD is not a Windows system, and as the docking station you told about works on windows, does it work for cloning the SSD Kronos system ?

3°) As the Kronos factory SSD has a 60gb partition, how did you extend it to 250 (or 500gb) ? Did you use a sepcial soft tool ?

1) Opened a frame for HD/SSD 2,5' connector , ready to plug in SSD , in that case if you use external A Sata port (primary) , then no matter of state
of internal SSD , Kronos is booting from external SSD , very usefull for a developer like me to swap OS and type of Kronos setups in seconds.
2) Specific docking station has been tested and works for this job properly , off-line without any PC/Mac.
3) You must expand only Ext2 partition "Korg disk" up to the last sector , Free utility is GParted , commercial tool that I work with is Paragon Partition Manager Pro

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Anthony for all these informations.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

1) Opened a frame for HD/SSD 2,5' connector , ready to plug in SSD , in that case if you use external A Sata port (primary) , then no matter of state
of internal SSD , Kronos is booting from external SSD , very usefull for a developer like me to swap OS and type of Kronos setups in seconds.
2) Specific docking station has been tested and works for this job properly , off-line without any PC/Mac.
3) You must expand only Ext2 partition "Korg disk" up to the last sector , Free utility is GParted , commercial tool that I work with is Paragon Partition Manager Pro

You're a god send and genius. I had one of these in my contract repair bag last year and let go of it to a contact with other tools to help with dad's funeral costs. OK, will order one in. Does help anyway to have a clone of the original SSD should anything happen. Having worked on god knows how many custom systems including protools macs for installations and repairs, SSD's though good for their work, can be fraught with hedaches.

I'm surprised that the board used in a 2015 kronos 2 and Kronos LS is still using USB2.0 for a controller and a lower generation SATA controller bus interface. To me, that's just a touch odd, but if there's a developer still making these boards for Korg, based on the fact they're an intel atom board? surely to heaven, these boards could be upgraded by korg? just doesn't make sense to launch an LS in 2017 / 2018 with a "legacy" board?

either way, thank you for your help and support. Korg have got back to me and though it's not covered by warranty, etc could void it, if it were a case of an issue, keep the original SSD safe and re-install it?

lew
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
AntonySharmman wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

You're a god send and genius. I had one of these in my contract repair bag last year and let go of it to a contact with other tools to help with dad's funeral costs. OK, will order one in. Does help anyway to have a clone of the original SSD should anything happen. Having worked on god knows how many custom systems including protools macs for installations and repairs, SSD's though good for their work, can be fraught with hedaches.

I'm surprised that the board used in a 2015 kronos 2 and Kronos LS is still using USB2.0 for a controller and a lower generation SATA controller bus interface. To me, that's just a touch odd, but if there's a developer still making these boards for Korg, based on the fact they're an intel atom board? surely to heaven, these boards could be upgraded by korg? just doesn't make sense to launch an LS in 2017 / 2018 with a "legacy" board?

either way, thank you for your help and support. Korg have got back to me and though it's not covered by warranty, etc could void it, if it were a case of an issue, keep the original SSD safe and re-install it?

lew

thats the factory assembly approach for volume production.

Korg has a supply of these parts and they are not going to slow down the assembly to tweak up components.

My 7 year old K is essentially the same as your K2.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
AntonySharmman wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

lew

thats the factory assembly approach for volume production.

Korg has a supply of these parts and they are not going to slow down the assembly to tweak up components.

so, dare I ask, besides the board being near same, etc, what the heck was all the hype about from the Kronos, to Kronos X to Kronos 2 and the LS? It's like going from a floor sweeper, to floor sweeper 3.0 lol.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LewTheKeyboardGuy"][quote="GregC"]
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
AntonySharmman wrote:
[quoteassembly to tweak up components.

so, dare I ask, besides the board being near same, etc, what the heck was all the hype about from the Kronos, to Kronos X to Kronos 2 and the LS? It's like going from a floor sweeper, to floor sweeper 3.0 lol.

i don't know about " hype " being the reason

LS is simply a light weight K88. Easy enough

K to K-X was subtle. X model had a lightly larger factory SSD from what I recall.

In a few of the early K's there was a keybed issue that Korg dealt with.

Somewhat as a result of that issue, it was assumed that Korg did the " X" for marketing or packaging reasons.

K2 from 2015 contained a few new 3rd party libs , the Berlin and the " pop song " collection". Very slight change in internals. The K2 was widely applauded and accepted. Plenty of history on this for you to dig up.

The K2 also contained an important OS update. And Korg did an excellent job
making that same upgrade available for free for us original K owners and "X" owners.

Your question has been asked many times here. I tried to keep my reply brief.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GregC"][quote="LewTheKeyboardGuy"]
GregC wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
AntonySharmman wrote:
[quoteassembly to tweak up components.

i don't know about " hype " being the reason

LS is simply a light weight K88. Easy enough

K to K-X was subtle. X model had a lightly larger factory SSD from what I recall.

In a few of the early K's there was a keybed issue that Korg dealt with.

Somewhat as a result of that issue, it was assumed that Korg did the " X" for marketing or packaging reasons.

K2 from 2015 contained a few new 3rd party libs , the Berlin and the " pop song " collection". Very slight change in internals. The K2 was widely applauded and accepted. Plenty of history on this for you to dig up.

The K2 also contained an important OS update. And Korg did an excellent job
making that same upgrade available for free for us original K owners and "X" owners.

sounds good to me and that makes sense. I wonder what would happen for a new model? that's for another discussion. Thank you so much for your help and guidance.

lew
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
[q"X" owners.

sounds good to me and that makes sense. I wonder what would happen for a new model? that's for another discussion. Thank you so much for your help and guidance.

lew[/quote]

there are about 100 opening post topics on that. Some on Page 1 and 2 even.

I am not holding my breath in anything ' new'. Korg never hints at their
'strategy'. Other cos' are like this. Sort of an industry thing.

The priority is making great new music on your K2. I would bet you
will have a lot of fun with your K2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: