Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Carpenter has a Kronos!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: John Carpenter has a Kronos! Reply with quote

If you're a fan of movie soundtracks, you might like this:

https://youtu.be/kywTKODdWvY
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this link Jeremy.
John Carpenter, in each of his films, always has a so caring look for poor characters, helpless and powerless. Even though most of his films are in the category "fantastic" or "Sci-Fi" I think he's one of the great film makers in all categories. And he is a great composer who knows how to add a captivating and extraordinary atmosphere to his films. ***** and so sadly underated

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed that. I've been aware of his work but I should really have paid a lot more attention than I have. Now I'm looking into his music and just having a great time.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link! Carpenter is the reason I bought my first synthesizer.

kronoSphere wrote:
I think he's one of the great film makers

Definitely. This guy made it without the help of big studios. So, if you think his work looks "cheap," that's because he has worked with very limited resources.

Did you know that he scored, edited and co-wrote the film school short, THE RESURRECTION OF BRONCO BILLY and that it won an Academy Award, for best short subject?

Carpenter marvelled over the fact that George Lucas got THX 1138 released.
So, he made DARK STAR on a 60K budget and it went to theaters.

ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 was also a tiny budget of $100,000, but achieved cult status. It got a big studio remake, in 2005.

Did you know the reason Donald Pleasance agreed to be in HALLOWEEN, was because his daughter loved Carpenter's score for ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13? HALLOWEEN was made for a mere $300,000. Carpenter scored it because "I was the fastest and cheapest I could get."

HALLOWEEN basically spawned the slasher industry. It wasn't the first, but it was the one that opened everyone's eyes, when it became the top grossing indie of that time. It held that title, until THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT eclipsed it.

Carpenter's movies tend to spawn whole spin-off industries. THIS IS ELVIS, starring Kurt Russell was hugely successful and prompted networks to start producing more of their own movie content, instead of buying them.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK had an amazing score and spawned countless imitators. Did you know that James Cameron (TERMINATOR, AVATAR) was a model maker on that movie? Picture here:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/mediaviewer/rm562246144

Though ESCAPE FROM LA was rather goofy, the music is amazing! Listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQM7e5L8Hw

I don't think that Carpenter's underrated, because so many of his films get remade or have huge influence. His version of THE THING remains unsurpassed horror classic, IMO.

Carpenter toggled between studio projects (MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA) and working independently (THEY LIVE, PRINCE OF DARKNESS).

Carpenter came out with a couple of albums, Lost Themes and Lost Themes 2. This is the stuff you can hear his Kronos on. It sounds great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: