Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos + Controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jovco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Kronos + Controller Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I was thinking of buying Korg nanopad 2, for triggering Kronos pads, but now I have another idea...

As I have Kronos 2 - 73 keys, and they are weighted, I was thinking to maybe rather buy a controller which have pads on itself and light weighted keys, for fast runs, and lead sounds.

My goal is to use sounds from my Kronos, on itself, and on the controller.
For example, to create Combis to play piano on Kronos keys - ch1, lead sound on controllers keys - ch2, and triggering Kronos pads on controllers pads - ch3.

In music stores in my town I have these options, for a controller in that price range:

1. Arturia Keylab Essential 61
2. M - Audio Code 61
3. M - Audio Oxygen 61 mkIV
4. Alesis VI61
5. Novation Launchkey 61

So, my question is, does maybe some of you guys have some of those controllers, and what do you recommend me to buy?
Would all of them do the job for what I need?
Can all of them map midi channels, to separate pads from keys?

I know that they all feel plastic, and chip, but that doesn't bother me so much, because main job will do my Kronos, and controller will be just addition to it.

Thanks Wink
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos + Controller Reply with quote

I am in the same situation as you. I have Kronos2-88 and in need of light weighted keys for fast solos, and pads.
I have just purchased nanoPad2.
I like idea that PADS are seperatated from main instrument, so when they degrade it is much easier (and cheeper) to replace.

Jovco wrote:

1. Arturia Keylab Essential 61
2. M - Audio Code 61
3. M - Audio Oxygen 61 mkIV
4. Alesis VI61
5. Novation Launchkey 61

Bare in mind that none of your controllers is USB class compliant.

In respect to semi-weight keys. I have decided to buy a synthesizer, and the main reason is Korg's poliphony.
I nearly bought Kronos 61-key, but now I have decided to buy a real synthesizer, so I can route 1 karma module and up to 8 voices externally.
mikelees

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The key thing to consider is that only the Korg nanoPad2 has integration with the Kronos. When you plug a nanoPad2 into the Kronos USB, the top 8 pads automatically map to the 8 chord pads in the Kronos Program or Combi. This has many advantages, such as:
- You can have the top 8 pads do different things (notes, chords, midi channels) for each Program or Combi on Kronos, without reprogramming the controller each time.
- It's really easy to program - just hit the assign pad button on the Kronos screen, play the chord you want then hit the pad you want to assign it to on the nanoPad.
- For chords, you can have up to 8 notes per pad instead of the usual 4.

There is a workaround to allow other controllers to do this, but it is far easier with nanoPad2. With other controllers, in global mode, you can assign the Kronos chord pads to be triggered by notes out of the normal range (e.g. C-1), then assign the pads on your controller to play those notes. In this case you need to make sure the range of any played sounds does not extend into this range, or you will get unexpected sounds when you play the pads, so it can still involve more work than using a nanoPad when setting up Programs or Combis.

With the nanoPad, the lower 8 pads are still available to be programmed to whatever you want using the Korg Nano-Control software. A neat trick is that if you configure a pad to toggle mode instead of momentary in the Nano Control software, then the Kronos chord pad operates in toggle mode, even for the top 8 pads. This means you can do things like drones or risers etc. with one press of the pad to activate it, then another press to deactivate.

In my set-up, the top 8 pads of nanoPad2 are configured as 4 toggle plus 4 momentary, and are used to trigger chords, samples, drones, risers, percussion, Karma etc. depending on the Combi. The bottom 8 pads are programmed in toggle mode to give me drone pads in the 8 most common keys I use. The nanoPad touchpad area is programmed to control the volume (up/down) and the filter (left/right) of the drone pads.
aellison62

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Korg nanoPad2 Reply with quote

mikelees,

You made some great points/tips about the nanoPad2. I think I will be getting one of these. Two more questions please?...

1. Is this velocity sensitive like the pads feature on the Kronos screen?

2. Have you attached it to your Kronos? If so, how?

Thanks,
mikelees

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The nanoPad2 is velocity sensitive just like the pads on the Kronos screen (actually the Kronos screen is not velocity sensitive at all - the velocity is controlled by how high up the pad on the screen you tap it!). The nanoPad pads can be set to velocity sensitive or fixed using the "Fixed Velocity" button on the Kronos pad screen.

nanoPad is connected to either of the Kronos USB A (host) ports using a standard mini-USB cable.

I was slightly incorrect in my previous post - it isn't only the nanoPad that has Kronos integration. According to the Kronos parameter guide (p54-55), the Korg microKONTROL, padKONTROL and KONTROL49 also map to the Kronos pads automatically.
stevewahl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelees wrote:
There is a workaround to allow other controllers to do this, but it is far easier with nanoPad2. With other controllers, in global mode, you can assign the Kronos chord pads to be triggered by notes out of the normal range (e.g. C-1), then assign the pads on your controller to play those notes. In this case you need to make sure the range of any played sounds does not extend into this range, or you will get unexpected sounds when you play the pads, so it can still involve more work than using a nanoPad when setting up Programs or Combis.

You seem to imply that if I set the Kronos to trigger pad 1 when it receives note C-1, it will play both the sounds on the pad, and also the current sound at C-1 unless that's configured to be outside the range of the current sound. Is that what you meant?

My memory may be faulty, but in some experimentsI had my Alesis MPK-mini mkII hooked up in pretty much this fashion (although I cannot remember what note range I chose to use) and to the best of my recollection, only the pad's sounds triggered, not the main sound at that note.

BTW, I never came up with a reasonable way to set an MPK-Minii MkII on top of, or near, a 61 key Kronos. If anyone came up with a good method, I'd love to see it. I've seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkVnUl8Z6eI but he's got one of the longer versions of the Kronos, not the 61 key, and the earlier (non-MkII) version of the MPK-mini as well, which I think might have been smaller.
aellison62

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Korg nanoPad2 Reply with quote

milkelees, thanks for the info. While I understand this connects to the usb port, I was asking how or if you had MOUNTED the nanoPAd2 to your Kronos?
Jovco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies...

So, if I understand, none of those controllers wouldn't work if I conect it to my Kronos with usb cable in therms of power and midi data? Shocked

Hm...I don't understand that part about keyboard zones and unwanted notes wich may play on the pads...If the Kronos is at midi channel 1, and controllers pads are on midi channel 3, and in my combi everything is on midi channel 1, exept of strings which is on midi channel 3, shouldn't only strings be heard on pads, or I miss something? Mad

I know that the easyest way is to buy a nanoPad, but I was thinking other solutions because of few extra light weighted keys (plus pads), but if is not possible, or too complicated, than...maybe I would buy just nanoPad Embarassed [/quote]
mikelees

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Korg nanoPad2 Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
I was asking how or if you had MOUNTED the nanoPAd2 to your Kronos?

OK - my misunderstanding! I have the nanoPad2 mounted on the panel to the left of the main volume knob and vector joystick at about 45 degrees using 50mm Velcro tape.

@Jovco - the issue is the Kronos internal chord pads, which can be programmed in global mode to respond to certain notes received on the Kronos global MIDI channel (default channel 1). If Kronos is configured this way (it isn’t by default) so that the internal chord pads can be controlled by some non-Korg controller, you just need to make sure that no other sounds respond to the notes you pick on the global channel to trigger the internal chord pads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: