Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help with Pax4 decision

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raykman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Please help with Pax4 decision Reply with quote

Hello
I am new to the forum
I have been looking at keyboard arrangers and yesterday tried
out the genos nice sounds but seemed a little toyish with the design
I have not found a Korg PAX 4 to play yet but i have a few questions if anyone can help.
I want to do some gigging as a one person act. I play keyboards and a little bit of guitar. I was looking to use midi files and mp3 to play along to top 40 country and pop rock songs. I want to be able to on the fly when not playing styles on the keyboard to easily go back to points in the midi file or mp3 on the fly like the chorus, verse etc.
Is this easy to do in real time and does it work in the real world where you guys are doing this daily. ?

2 I know the vocals can be mixed with the tc helicon does it sound really good and how much do you use this in your shows?

3. The last question is kinda the stumper for me I desire to use Ableton Live with its clips and audio in conjunction with the PAX 4 to sometimes either do live looping or playback of clips. I know that i can use a midi controller for Ableton but i am trying not to lug to much stuff around. I know keyboard arrangers are not great midi controllers but would I be able to have any kind of function of controlling Ableton with The Pax4.

Sorry if I am just rambling but i like the fact the Pax4 has sounds already and I can play songs thru styles on the keyboard or midi and mp3
I would like a keyboard with sounds as compared to just a midi controller with only software sounds .
Just trying to figure out if the Pax4 is a good route to use Ableton with.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help with Pax4 decision Reply with quote

raykman wrote:

I was looking to use midi files and mp3 to play along to top 40 country and pop rock songs. I want to be able to on the fly when not playing styles on the keyboard to easily go back to points in the midi file or mp3 on the fly like the chorus, verse etc.
Is this easy to do in real time and does it work in the real world where you guys are doing this daily. ?

Not possible on a Pa4x, but if you use ableton you can easely do this in ableton itself.

Quote:

2 I know the vocals can be mixed with the tc helicon does it sound really good and how much do you use this in your shows?

I don't use this

Quote:

3. The last question is kinda the stumper for me I desire to use Ableton Live with its clips and audio in conjunction with the PAX 4 to sometimes either do live looping or playback of clips. I know that i can use a midi controller for Ableton but i am trying not to lug to much stuff around. I know keyboard arrangers are not great midi controllers but would I be able to have any kind of function of controlling Ableton with The Pax4.

Sorry if I am just rambling but i like the fact the Pax4 has sounds already and I can play songs thru styles on the keyboard or midi and mp3
I would like a keyboard with sounds as compared to just a midi controller with only software sounds .
Just trying to figure out if the Pax4 is a good route to use Ableton with.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

No the pa4x is not really suited to control ableton. But there are many solutions. In your case an Ipad would be the perfect companion to ableton (or an android tablet). In that case look for the app Touchable
it's a complete control service for clips activating and editing features. It's also possible to jump to sections in your songs in ableton, so that would solve it too.

I use it touchable too with ableton. It's really good compared too the fact that it runs on a tablet.

I prefer the Ableton Push 2 controller for live sessions and in the studio, but that is indeed a midi controller that you have to carry along with your setup, so probably a tablet which can do the same is the way to go for your wishes.

Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midi Markers do work well. I use them and they can be labeled as well (eg "Repeat V2"). I'm also a big user of the vocal harmoniser on my 3x.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reply regarding your vocal processor question

I use my PA4X's TC helicon VP a huge amount. If you were buying Genos, you will definitely need an independent vocal processor module (like a TC Helicon unit).

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: TC Helicon VP Settings Reply with quote

Pete, Can you share with us your VP settings? I realise that settings will be an individual choice, however I have struggled for a considerable time to get anywhere near a reasonable conclusion with this topic. There are so many adjustments that can be made, it is beyond me. Either I have added to much or two little effects. I'm just looking for a starting point.

Thanks Jim Mack.
Snoopy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

as you mentioned yourself it doesn´t make any sense to use VP settings from opther persons / devices...

What microphones do you use ?

In which frequency-range is your voice ?

What PA are you using ?

Even a little change in one of the above mentioned topics needs a different VP setting.

If you´re looking for a strating point try the factory settings and change only one value, then save, test, and so on...

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim

Yeah - Snoopy is right really - it will depend a lot on your equipment and how YOU want it to sound.

I have found most of the factory settings (and there are many) to be extremely useful and useable.

All in all I find the TCH to be very professional and realistic unlike many other keyboard brands with vocal processing.

I even use a stock standard SM58 with excellent results even for recording.

But seriously be careful of Yamaha - I've owned the PSRs & Tyros and none produce what I regard as professional vocal processing, harmonies and effects.

This is an example of EXACTLY how I found my PSRs910 and Tyros to sound and this lovely lady's singing is spoilt by the vocal processor IMHO.
Listen to it around 1:10, 1:45 (there are other similar sections later in the song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzfX2VjkLPs

Good luck with the decisions

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Pete. That's pretty horrible. Another thing there worth noting there is what I call judicial use of harmony. The girl has a decent enough voice, but to swamp an entire song with harmony like that just ruins everything. Takes away all sonic interest, if you will.
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: VP settings Reply with quote

Thanks Pete,Snoopy and others for your comments. I take on board all the advice given. My current set up with the Pa4x is as follows:
PAs Speaker unit
JBL eon1 amp
Shure headset mic (BLX1) with the Shure BLX4 connected to the Korg mic. input
Outputs L and R are connected to the Eon 1 Stereo channel, and the Mic from output 2 to a separate channel on the eon 1
I wonder if what I'm missing is a vocals only monitor. There is a balancing act between the pa 4x volume and eon 1 volume setting, as this affects the output from the PAs. The vocals are separate and can be controlled from the pa4x. Not that I,m playing to large audiences, usually between 30-60
Thanks again Jim
raykman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all your help
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Update to my previous comments on vocals and the PAs Reply with quote

One improvement and in particular to the PAs and vocals is as follows.
I keep the VP output from the 4x connected to my external Amp to Output1. From VP output 2, I connected a small TC Helicon amp, which now serves as my vocals monitor. This serves the purpose of keeping the PAs vocals free, and at the same time being able to have a vocals monitor with control over volume etc.
Reds. Jim
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Sounds great Jim
I do similar by outputting VP from 1 & 2 and then into my recording desk - that way I maintain full control over vocals and also keep and stereo spectrum spread of the harmonies I use.

Love the PA4!!!!!

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: