Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling with Effects on Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjd18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Struggling with Effects on Kronos Reply with quote

Hi Everyone -

I am a Kronos newbie struggling with very basic effects concepts. I understand how to insert effects, but am trying to assign effects to individual patches (e.g. berlin grand, eps, etc.) and then control them with various knobs/sliders. I've been all over the web, reviewed the Qui Robinez videos, etc., but can't seem to understand how to, for example, add a "wah" effect to a grand piano and then control that effect by using a knob. The Korg "effects" video goes way too quickly and doesn't do a good job of explaining. If someone can provide a basic explanation, I'd be grateful. Thank you!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start with the first program, INT-A 000: Berlin Grand SW2 U.C.

1. Go to the Common tab
2. Go to the IFX Page
3. Go to the Insert FX page

You'll see there are already 2 insert effects there. We'll add a 3rd one.

4. Press the ON button by Insert FX 3. It should turn red.
5. Click the arrow to select an effect.
6. Choose the EQ/Filter tab
7. Select St Vintage/Custom Wah
8. Press OK
9. In the "Chain" area, select the check box in Insert FX 2. This will chain the 3rd insert slot so that the signal is sent to Insert FX 3 after being processed by FX 1 and 2.

Now we'll set this up to be controlled by a controller.

10. Go to the IFX 1-12 page.
11. If you aren't already on the tab for IFX3, select it.
12. In the "Control" area (top left), change the Source Mode from Auto to Dmod (dynamic modulation). This tells the K we will be assigning a physical controller to this parameter. Not all parameters support Dmod.
13. For source, select a controller. I chose JS X. This is often used for pitch bending upward but since pianos don't normally do that, it's unassigned in this patch. You could also choose a knob, for example Knob Mod 7
14. Finally, set values for Manual and Response. Manual would be the resting position of the Wah, response is how much it moves in response to you moving the joystick all the way to the right. You could do manual 0 and response 100 to get the full range of the wah pedal.

You can audition these values as you're playing and moving the joystick to dial it in to your liking.

Hope that helps
jjd18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very helpful. Thank you very much! Two additional questions:

1. Now that I've added a few effects, I've noticed that the effects will be "on" whenever I switch to that patch, and I have to turn the knobs to "0" to turn them off. I guess that's just what I'll have to do from now on?

2. Also, is it easy to transfer the same effects to other patches?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the effects have a wet/dry balance at the bottom that can be modulated by another (Dmod) controller. You could save the patch with the setting at dry, and wire up another controller to bring up the wet balance. This could be a knob, or you could possibly also use one of the switches so that it just sets it a 0 or 100% (or X%).

In the case of something like a wah, you might want all or nothing (0 or 100%), so a switch might make sense. In the case of something like a delay, you might want a knob so you can dial in the right amount of wet on the fly. If you want the effect off when you load the patch, you'd want to save the patch with it set to fully dry.

As far as transferring, you can save your settings on an individual effect as a an FX preset. This is on the IFX 1-12 page in the drop down menu top right. Save your settings as a preset, choose one of the user slots. Then on some other sound you can load up that effect, and your saved preset should be in the menu to choose from. It should restore all your settings.

If you want to copy an entire FX chain from one preset to another, you can do that on the Insert FX page, again with the drop down menu in the top right. Choose Copy Insert FX. It will bring up a dialogue that lets you select the preset you want to copy the FX chain from. You can either go from IFX a to IFX b, or you can just choose "All" or "All used". This is going to overwrite any FX that are already on that preset.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is not a "basic" explanation, it is a good look at how to control the FX, and why your knob/switch controller may, or may not, be working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrM1J9-CaI
jjd18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for your responses. Much appreciated.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
While this is not a "basic" explanation, it is a good look at how to control the FX, and why your knob/switch controller may, or may not, be working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rrM1J9-CaI

That’s a great video, Mike! I actually ran into a couple of those problems the other day, and now the solutions are clear.

Pretty funny radio show bit there too. Very Happy
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:

Pretty funny radio show bit there too. Very Happy

Thanks. Watching that now, I realize I should have dialed in a big reverb, when I said "Tune in next week..." That would have really bolstered it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: