Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L/R out problems.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: L/R out problems. Reply with quote

Had my Kronos 2-88 since 2015.
It spends half of every year in storage with a proper keyboard case and storage environment.

Last month i came back to it and almost every time i boot up, i only get one speaker working and have to fumble around to get both working.

I work the wires to the mixer and the wires to the speakers, and also switch the cables from left&right to right&left.
The outcome seems to show it is not the cables but actually Kronos outputs.
All wires and all speakers work fine if i plug them into Kronos Left output.

Kronos seems to cut out the right and go with the left output until i run a combi with more stereo dynamics going on.
It seems to respond to software sytem input as if it is booting up to left only and then bringing in the right output when i open a new program or combi with more dynamic stereo activity going on.

It just booted up fine right now with no output issues.

I will pay attention to what is going on and see if i missed any details about how it behaves and what it responds to when the issue does come up.
So far it seems to be more software related, or maybe it merely seems so where a combi comes in with some audio push to it and cuts through some kind of physical component issue.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: L/R out problems. Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Had my Kronos 2-88 since 2015.
It spends half of every year in storage with a proper keyboard case and storage environment.

Last month i came back to it and almost every time i boot up, i only get one speaker working and have to fumble around to get both working.

I work the wires to the mixer and the wires to the speakers, and also switch the cables from left&right to right&left.
The outcome seems to show it is not the cables but actually Kronos outputs.
All wires and all speakers work fine if i plug them into Kronos Left output.

Kronos seems to cut out the right and go with the left output until i run a combi with more stereo dynamics going on.
It seems to respond to software sytem input as if it is booting up to left only and then bringing in the right output when i open a new program or combi with more dynamic stereo activity going on.

It just booted up fine right now with no output issues.

I will pay attention to what is going on and see if i missed any details about how it behaves and what it responds to when the issue does come up.
So far it seems to be more software related, or maybe it merely seems so where a combi comes in with some audio push to it and cuts through some kind of physical component issue.

what about L/R on headphone audio ?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: L/R out problems. Reply with quote

[quote="GregC"]
19naia wrote:

what about L/R on headphone audio ?

Will have to try that out when next i encounter the issue.

I used the headphones through the mixer yesterday and never thought to test it through the Kronos headphone out.
I end up getting my full sound back everytime and move on to playing rather than poking around for where else the issue shows up.... Such as if it does in headphones out.

Been away from kronos too long and it’s hard enough as it is getting my chops back, remembering my old songs and priming myself to compose at least one new song in full, before i pack it all up into storage again in the month of May.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be oxidation on the metal surfaces causing some resistance. An easy test is to take a 1/4" plug, spray some good contact cleaner on it, (DeOxite D5) and carefully insert it multiple times. Inserting and removing tends to wipe the surfaces which cleans. The contact cleaner helps to overcome the oxidation and resistance.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 consecutive days, or more, where i boot up kronos and all is well with the outputs L/R mains and the headphones.
No issues at the wires to speakers, wires to mixer or wires in for the output from Kronos.
I guess having the problem disappear is easier than having to figure it out or fix it..
Xenophile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
It could be oxidation on the metal surfaces causing some resistance. An easy test is to take a 1/4" plug, spray some good contact cleaner on it, (DeOxite D5) and carefully insert it multiple times. Inserting and removing tends to wipe the surfaces which cleans. The contact cleaner helps to overcome the oxidation and resistance.

Geo

This was probably the issue. Plugging/unplugging into the Kronos L/R outputs probably wiped away the dirt.

If you want to clean it, do it the way Geo recommends. Don't spray cleaner into your Kronos!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
geoelectro wrote:

Geo

This was probably the issue. Plugging/unplugging into the Kronos L/R outputs probably wiped away the dirt.

If you want to clean it, do it the way Geo recommends. Don't spray cleaner into your Kronos!

Sounds good to me.
I just had the glitch come in again this morning, over headphones because too early in the morning to wake up the neighbors with the L/R mains output churning away.
It went away after a few changing of programs and hard chords smashed out on the keys. There was a bit of breaking up of sound with some dimming and crackling of the sound before it cleared up and came back full and clear.

So far, it has happened over L/R mains and headphones out, and each time i recover from the issue, it is not right after pulling and reinserting plugs.
It has always recovered right after playing notes or program/combi changes.
So far, it has been several days of no issues, and when it showed up this morning, it came in after a perfect boot up and some playing, and then went away after a quick 30 seconds of program surfing and notes being played.

Will get on the trail of finding deoxit5, because that is the best idea i have to work with right now and it can only help, even if only helping with preventative maintainance at the insert ports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: