Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG PA4X hookup question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vangelismusic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: KORG PA4X hookup question Reply with quote

I want to control an external sound module on the right hand without using the 4X internals, can anyone help me and explain in detail how to go about that?

thanks
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should get you started at least:

Set your Pa4X to output the Upper sounds 1-3 only (see section of User Manual on midi, but especially p884 of Manual for OS 2.2) and set your external module to receive. For now, don’t send program changes (see p898) , and just select sounds on your external module manually).

If you have not done so yet, get used to using the Pa4X Songbook to store your Pa4X setup for each song you play.

I have a thought on how you can then easily use Baum Songbook+ to select your Korg songbook entry AND the program change for your external module but need to research that a little more. You would need to be using an iPad to do this though.

I do not use an external module, but familiar with midi, and this should work. (I have assumed you know how to connect devices with midi cables, otherwise clarify please)

Please report back on how you go.

Phil
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a post by me from 2017 can help a bit:

my configuration is like this, controlling a Korg TR Rack with my PA3X: (EDIT: nowadays PA4X, connections are the same)

Connections PA3X midi out to midi in of the module.
Audio out of module to audio in of PA3X.

I use upper 3 in my PA3X to control the module. (In most performances (EDIT KBD SETS)/STS Up3 is muted by default. This is good, because tracks int/ext is default on 'Both' for all tracks; not possible to edit this for all performances (EDIT KBD SETS) or STSs in one go).
In PA3X -> Global - midi setup I activate upper 3 channel, and match it with the module (module midi setting), both channel 3 (up to you to chose, as long as they are the same channel).

Now in PA3X, select a Performance (EDIT: KBD SET) that you want to use, go to menu, track control, and for Upper 3, set int./ext. (internal/external) to External. (By default it is set to Both).

For my TR RACK sounds I use midi-codes in my PA3X to select a Combi (or Program): tick the Upper 3 sound and type 000.000.000, 000.000.001 etcetera to select a sound from your module. (In your PA3X you can input this as 0.0.0 for instance, PA3X will automatically convert it to 000.000.000).
Then save your performance (EDIT: KBD SET). Of course you can do the same in SongBook for an STS.

You can control volume, panning etc. of your module sound in your PA3X performance/STS (that is, for TR Rack this works OK; I've experienced some problems with other modules in the past).

Good luck, I hope this somewhat cluttered post can be of some help.

Play in style. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: