Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arturia Pigments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RKfan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Arturia Pigments Reply with quote

https://sonicstate.com/news/2018/12/06/arturia-are-gearing-up-for-something-new/

there was a bit of rumour on Gearslutz in October too.

Anyway look out on the 11th

Last edited by RKfan on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have contacted me and assured me they are working on it and it'll be available "soon". Anyone here who was on the old Waldorf email forum around the 2000 time who remember the acronym for S.O.O.N was? I forget now.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here

Last edited by megamarkd on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What inunderstood, is that it will be a software based instrument..
Probably wavetable based...

Most of their VSTs are currently emulations of vintage equipment
People assume this will be an orriginal software synth..

At best it might be their 2nd Arturia origin..
With all their software emulations in a modular form..
Akin to what falcon offers..
CGoodhines

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Since they've covered just about everything, Reply with quote

my guess it'll either be a (software) PPG or Rhodes Chroma VST. Or a (Hardware) version of a memorymoog?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno what happened there, I edited my post and somehow a quote of that post was also added to the thread.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here

Last edited by megamarkd on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Arturia Pigments Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkc8bnMUhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLv2ucia4WI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqzKfSRQMJ4

There are a few vid on youtube - but these are the first
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: and the product site Reply with quote

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/pigments/overview#en
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/TCjvZR0XqSw

This video shows really well how intuitive the interface is
Would also work quite well in a hardware synth..

The only thing mising is a 3rd engine based on multisamples
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it and find it magnificent. Essentially two synth engines - virtual analogue and wavetable. However, it's the way they've implemented it that's impressive. The interface is filled with moving graphics - but not just for display but also interaction, so the 'motion' and motion control in sounds is astounding.

The presets really demonstrate it's capabilities. There are virtual-acoustic like woodwinds, Omnisphere like atmospheres and everything in between.

In my view, one of the best plugins to come along in a while. If you're a Waldorf Quantum owner you might be worried - this seems similar - at 2 - 3 % of the cost!

If you're a VC owner then it's 69 Euro - surely a no brainer!

Overall - this feels very special. I absolutely love it
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Bought it and find it magnificent. Essentially two synth engines - virtual analogue and wavetable. However, it's the way they've implemented it that's impressive. The interface is filled with moving graphics - but not just for display but also interaction, so the 'motion' and motion control in sounds is astounding.

The presets really demonstrate it's capabilities. There are virtual-acoustic like woodwinds, Omnisphere like atmospheres and everything in between.

In my view, one of the best plugins to come along in a while. If you're a Waldorf Quantum owner you might be worried - this seems similar - at 2 - 3 % of the cost!

If you're a VC owner then it's 69 Euro - surely a no brainer!

Overall - this feels very special. I absolutely love it

And its free till Februari, for a full fledged unlimited try out version...
So you can just download and try your hearts out...

The interface makes it the perfect instrument for people that are relatively new to synthesis, as everything is represented vissually
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased it for €69 - current special offer for existing Arturia owners. If you log in whilst on the Arturia web site then the discount is applied before you add to the cart.

It sounds great and has a very intuitive interface. You can see some of the vintage synth emulation heritage in some of filter choices you have, but that is good reuse. What they appear to have done is taken their experience in their analog modelling heritage and applied it to what they think a modern synth should have and look like.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I purchased it for €69 - current special offer for existing Arturia owners. If you log in whilst on the Arturia web site then the discount is applied before you add to the cart.

It sounds great and has a very intuitive interface. You can see some of the vintage synth emulation heritage in some of filter choices you have, but that is good reuse. What they appear to have done is taken their experience in their analog modelling heritage and applied it to what they think a modern synth should have and look like.

Well they certainly are on track...
Just look at the prophet X and the Quantum and you can see the parralels...

Hope they expand this over time..
I would love to see a sample section with multisamples feeding the oscilators in the future..
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:

I would love to see a sample section with multisamples feeding the oscilators in the future..

Difference though is both the ProX and Quantum have sixteen analogue filters with the Quantum's being multimode. The Quantum is also sporting digital filters (which I must say from experience with a couple of their digital synths are very tasty) plus it comes with a decent aftertouch keyboard. From all accounts the ProX keybed is very nice just lacks aftertouch.
Soundwise maybe a comparison can be drawn, but you are paying for what you get with the Sequential and Waldorf products despite them both having digital engines that can be replicated 'inside the box'. Oh yeah, both work on multisample engines also (key and velocity mapped).

I know that DAW owners will have their favourite keyboard and analogue processors but it is something to take into consideration when comparing software to hardware. But it is rather like apple and oranges, with Arturia definitely targeting different market than the other two long-time hardware companies. That said, I know that some owners of the mentioned hardware may also be interested in the Arturia software....
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Bachus wrote:

Difference though is both the ProX and Quantum have sixteen analogue filters with the Quantum's being multimode. The Quantum is also sporting digital filters (which I must say from experience with a couple of their digital synths are very tasty) plus it comes with a decent aftertouch keyboard. From all accounts the ProX keybed is very nice just lacks aftertouch.
Soundwise maybe a comparison can be drawn, but you are paying for what you get with the Sequential and Waldorf products despite them both having digital engines that can be replicated 'inside the box'. Oh yeah, both work on multisample engines also (key and velocity mapped).

I know that DAW owners will have their favourite keyboard and analogue processors but it is something to take into consideration when comparing software to hardware. But it is rather like apple and oranges, with Arturia definitely targeting different market than the other two long-time hardware companies. That said, I know that some owners of the mentioned hardware may also be interested in the Arturia software....

I think both you and Bachus have the measure of this plugin wrong. In concept both Pigment and Quantum offer a very similar approach to synthesis - Wavetables with significant modulation and motion control. The screen features of the Quantum look (superficially I admit) very similar to Pigment. Given the cost differential, if I were Waldorf, I'd be very worried - Pigment is right into the territory of Quantum - but with vastly greater polyphony. I'm not trying to knock Quantum - it's a stunning hardware synth with truly amazing features and capabilities - but Pigment is in the same territory and arguably as powerful - at 3% of the cost!

As to Bachus's comments - have you tried it? I'm not sure what you mean by hoping they expand it over time. It already covers a VAST range of sounds, and utterly new approaches to synthesis to boot - the motion control, via moving and interacting graphics, is jaw-dropping and renders this with extraordinary depth. And it's capability for virtually anything to modulate anything else makes it essentially a wavetable modular synthesizer of incalculable proportions. And of course it has a Virtual Analogue engine - and both can be used simultaneously offering endless possibilities.

And it shows even in the factory presets which span everything from virtual acoustic like wood winds to Omnisphere level atmospheres, and everything in between. Having played with it for a while. it is going to give my SY99, VL1, JD800, OASYS and Omnisphere a run for their money!

While sure samples would be a fine addition; Pigment, as is, is missing absolutely nothing, and will take more than a life time to explore fully.

To me, this is a _very_ special plugin. I'm not a big plugin fan - but this sounds amazing, offers stunning cutting edge features; while the graphic interaction is just as amazing.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

I think both you and Bachus have the measure of this plugin wrong. In concept both Pigment and Quantum offer a very similar approach to synthesis - Wavetables with significant modulation and motion control. The screen features of the Quantum look (superficially I admit) very similar to Pigment. Given the cost differential, if I were Waldorf, I'd be very worried - Pigment is right into the territory of Quantum - but with vastly greater polyphony. I'm not trying to knock Quantum - it's a stunning hardware synth with truly amazing features and capabilities - but Pigment is in the same territory and arguably as powerful - at 3% of the cost!

As to Bachus's comments - have you tried it? I'm not sure what you mean by hoping they expand it over time. It already covers a VAST range of sounds, and utterly new approaches to synthesis to boot - the motion control, via moving and interacting graphics, is jaw-dropping and renders this with extraordinary depth. And it's capability for virtually anything to modulate anything else makes it essentially a wavetable modular synthesizer of incalculable proportions. And of course it has a Virtual Analogue engine - and both can be used simultaneously offering endless possibilities.

And it shows even in the factory presets which span everything from virtual acoustic like wood winds to Omnisphere level atmospheres, and everything in between. Having played with it for a while. it is going to give my SY99, VL1, JD800, OASYS and Omnisphere a run for their money!

While sure samples would be a fine addition; Pigment, as is, is missing absolutely nothing, and will take more than a life time to explore fully.

To me, this is a _very_ special plugin. I'm not a big plugin fan - but this sounds amazing, offers stunning cutting edge features; while the graphic interaction is just as amazing.

Yes i downloaded and played it..
And its arguably very good at what it does..
Espescially the wavetables are huge..

I somehow miss a 3rd engine, that allows you to load multi-samples, much along the line of the Prophet X.. and integrate them with the 2 other engines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: