Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edit program keeps jumping back to Berlin Grand after 1 edit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artcutech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Edit program keeps jumping back to Berlin Grand after 1 edit Reply with quote

Sorry for all these novice questions guys

so after taking a synth lead in sequencer mode and editing it, (works fine and doesn't jump to Berlin Grand) and writing it to a new program, i do this in order to leave the original as a default (unless there's a way to restore program to default as i haven't seen one) after doing so if i go onto the next track, load a instrument/sound and go to edit it it jumps back to the default Berlin Grand, so then i have to find the sound in the user banks without the sub categories which can be annoying and then edit, and after writing that sound to a new program if i go back to the sequencer it's back to the berlin grand and i have to go find the sound and load it again, is there a reason after doing an initial edit why it wants to keep jumping to Berlin Grand even if i've selected a new sound?

Also after sampling something and writing it to a new program, it will show up under user MS, but will say not loaded if i try to use it out of the song i have it saved in, is there a way i should be saving the sample in order for it to always be there to use at will and not just in the song it was recorded in? it loads fine with the original song and i assumed that when i wrote it to a new program the audio got saved with it
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not able to get the same problem on mine.
I used Edit Program from the drip down menu at top right screen.
It may be an issue from not using the drop down menu to go to edit program from sequencer mode, but i am not sure how you are getting your programs to sequencer or how you are getting back and forth from them to edit them.
Rograms can be scrolled up in the track either via category cell or by regular program bank and slot instrument cell. The other way is to find your program in program mode and use drop down menu or record/enter short cut to bring it over to Sequencer.

Maybe you have global mode memory protect on for sequencer. But i doubt that since you are able to make edits on the forst track.
I don’t think i have a reasonable answer for you on that.
Maybe try the various ways to get programs to sequencer and see if one gives you better results than the other.

The sample made into a program, will not load to the program unless you manually load it. What i do is go to Global mode KSC auto-load and add it there so it auto-loads like a regular program.
All regular sample based programs rely on Auto-load to have their samples loaded at boot up. Factory sounds inlcuded on auto-load list.
Go to Global mode and load your sample or add it to auto-load if you want it to be a regular program like your factory set sounds.
There is sample management to look into to understand the amazing flexibility behind why kronos often waits on you to tell it what to do before doing it, such as things like loading samples to a custom program.
Kronos waits for you to decide if you want it to auto-load or load it yourself or keep working on the sample before you decide what to finally do with it.
Artcutech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking out for all the great advice

i am using the drop down menu but tried also doing enter and touching the program box within sequencer mode and same thing.

Yeah global protect is not on, ill have to see why it's jumping back, maybe there's a store mix setting that I have to do? i'm using the default sequencer setup, just thought i'd mention that, no worries if nothing else comes to mind your post helped a lot

all of the sounds need a good amount of tweaking to sound good and editing the program is a part of that and seems to be a little annoying as having to store the edit as a new program and not just being able to tweak it and jump back to the default if need be

Also is there a way to undo? like undo what you did last?

thanks for the sample management tip, gonna go in there and try to auto load set it now
Artcutech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the stupid question but in KSC auto load Dq(name of song) KSC box is unchecked but preload KSC box is checked, then at the bottom there's add ksc and remove ksc, and to the right of that do auto-load now, not sure if i should check the Dq KSC box and then hit do auto load now or the proper steps to achieve the auto load, could you possibly shed some light? no big if not you've helped plenty and i will be cranking the manual, just thought id ask, thanks
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artcutech wrote:
sorry for the stupid question but in KSC auto load Dq(name of song) KSC box is unchecked but preload KSC box is checked, then at the bottom there's add ksc and remove ksc, and to the right of that do auto-load now, not sure if i should check the Dq KSC box and then hit do auto load now or the proper steps to achieve the auto load, could you possibly shed some light? no big if not you've helped plenty and i will be cranking the manual, just thought id ask, thanks

Add KSC is what i do, and then that “Add KSC” command will open to disc mode for KSC files and then you can select your Dq KSC file. It can get confusing if you find multiple KSC files named Dq in disk mode.
Only after i “Add” a new KSC, do i peform “do auto load now”. Auto load s done automatically when Kronos boots up. Autoload is why kronos takes so long to start when you turn it on. Add new KSC and peform “do autoload now” to load it and then save the global settings. You have to “write” global settings for your edits to be permanent.
You should also try the option of checking the unchecked box. It may be easier. Kronos usually has two or more ways to do the same task.
Every new way you try, is something new you learn.
Good thing about auto load is that if what you try is not what you want, you can always go back and remove it or uncheck it. Auto load is not an overwrite risk or delete risk, because all of its content is safe in disk mode.

Global mode settings, including autoload, need to be written(saved) if you want the changes to be permanent.
When you are done setting up the needed KSC files to autoload, the drop down menu at top right screen should have “Write global settings”.
Do a write global settings to make sure the changes are saved to permanent so that they will be there even after you turn off Kronos.

Kronos always likes to go back to default or last saved settings, if you do not perform write function for any edits made. Kronos eventually returns to default in program mode, combi, song and PCG. If you do not write edits.

Also it is good to know that the words “Save” and “Write” are different in kronos system.
They mean he same thing, but “write” is used to save changes as you edit in any of the modes. “Save” is the word used for disk mode saves.
It is best that every “write” you execute, be followed by a disk mode “save” before you power down or at least before you do any loading from disk mode.

Before I load from disk mode, i save to disk mode what i have, save as a .PCG file or save all file.

You seem to have an advanced dive into kronos. Your questions sound more informed than a real newbie. You maybe sound new to Kronos but not sounding new to what it can do. Maybe you have good experience with other systems like software or other workstations.... ?
Artcutech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, i think things are gonna work out, def gonna remember to write global settings also

I once had a original motif in my old studio 2002-2005, became a hard core drug addict lost everything, hit rock bottom sitting in jail now its 2014 asked God to prove he was real and help me get right and i would serve him forever, he did, i still fall short daily but life is good.

Saved up to build up a studio again not realizing how hard it was to get hardware sampler quality sampling(warmth/depth/saturation/quality) going straight ITB, nearly impossible, maybe can get there 85% going into apollo unison and using heavy saturation plug-ins on the sampler track but not the same, not even close. It took me 2 years to just say forget it and buy the original motif again and boy i tell you, just running my samples through it before hitting the apollo is magic! also using it onboard too and other stuff/ sounds from motif are cool sometimes but mostly the sampling as i have tons of great plug-ins/soft synths as most of us do. i know the motif in and out and bought the Kronos for someone who i wanted to have that same onboard feeling at times who's an extremely talented artist and family, cause working only ITB can be extremely flat at times, even using wonderful plug-ins like Omnisphere, which i love and always use on everything doesn't give that warmth off the top, although loading samples into it is the closest out of all the soft samplers, and i love how Omnisphere also Native instruments and other plug-ins sound in conjunction with gritty samples.

I'm extremely busy and impatient so i'm trying to learn the Kronos to help the individual i got it for, hence all the how do you do ?'s, plus i'm going to be using it too, most ppl respond like yeah, read pg 254 of the manual haha, nothing wrong with that btw.

I'm actually working on a beat right now, that Dq song with a killer sample thats been tuned to the right root note and i'm just playing it like an instrument and WOW, the kronos sampler is fire!!!! i normalize it onboard like i use to on the motif and I mean the sample playback sounds so professional/warm/clear/depthy/saturated with no daw plug-in treatment, can't get that ITB off top, but i am running everything over usb into Ableton and am extremely happy with the results, because we all know how lovely keyboards sound listening straight to studio monitors, and even recording into 1/4 inputs can be amazing (but limited without midi edit capability), but actually having the midi tracks routed and working with all midi clip editing accessible in Ableton and sounding beautiful makes me happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: