Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very bad overall organizational structure of Korg Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galf2 wrote:
If you remove the factory programs and if you download from the Internet a combi that uses factory programs, then this combi will not work. This is not the best option.

I didn't say to remove all factory programs !!
Galf2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Galf2 wrote:
If you remove the factory programs and if you download from the Internet a combi that uses factory programs, then this combi will not work. This is not the best option.

I didn't say to remove all factory programs !!

This all can lead to confusion. Thirty two free banks (not including factory) would be a good numbers for a such high-level synthesizer.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Very bad overall organizational structure of Korg Kronos Reply with quote

GrandMasterKorg wrote:
This bad organizational structure is prone to faults and will easily mess up your Kronos

We offered you help here but you didn't want to try, including trying the freeware available for it. It is not the structure which messed your Kronos contents, but your lack of understanding it and refusal to try what we offered. As mentioned before, nobody can master a complex machine like the Korg Kronos in a few hours.

Have fun with your Montage. It's quite more limited and way less complex in comparison, so it might suit you better.
Galf2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who knows, how many free banks in the Montage?
I read about the Montage on the forum. At first, the guys voiced a complete delight, but then slowly began to clarify the disadvantages and limitations. And on the 16th page, the conversation became quite sour Sad
It may be should to think once again and read on the forums. Should change the Kronos on Montage?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ruin a loaded PCG with the kronos ”Combi to Program” referencing system. If you change around Program slots.
But how is this an issue outside of personal negligence, when you have disk mode to save the PCG for reloading once you have experimentally butchered it?
You can have virtually unlimited PCG files in disk mode. So making chages to one is no big deal even of things do get skewered for combi mode referencing program mode.
I can make an entire PCG just for customizing a set of 20 combis and their related program all put to their own bank. And any random preset combis that get disordered, will not matter because the entire PCG is focused on the custom set of 20 combis and their referenced programs.
You can make a PCG that has only the programs and combis you need, with all other banks and slots empty. Minimize confusion related to conflict out of so many options.

When i am ready to get back to the factory ordered PCG, i just load the Factory PCG.

Loading an entirely new PCG is easy and does not take much time out of the break time between sets.

If people had unlimited flexibility in their bodies, they would tie themselves in disturbing knots, yet they would still want to keep that flexibility for the many advantages it gives them. Same with Kronos. A lot of the issues with confusion is realted to Kronos being as flexible as it is.

Sure Montage has a good system that does not easily confuse program and combi relationships, but you really have not summed up any problem with kronos by leaving out the PCG filing system of Kronos disk mode.
You can do whatever you want, for better or worse, with kronos programs and Combis, and still be in no trouble.

And when you are done making a mess of combis, instead of crying about it, you can go to disk mode and load up the PCG you need to write over the mess you made of the previous load. Of course a Kronos user needs to have good disk mode saving habits as well as a personal PCG filing system based on how they work.

Like i said, the great thing about the PCG filing system is that you can have an entire Kronos loading, be for just 20 or even less or more combis.
Just focus on getting 20 combis right and then moving to another PCG file to do more work. You can ignore the other hundreds and hundreds of combis and programs that can easily get confusing amid so much flexibility.

And for people who do huge amounts of complicated projects, it seems easier to manage in small chunks at a time. Perhaps one PCG per each project, so that combi edits of program references do not create issues between projects.
You can have the freedom in multiple PCG files, to behave like you are on an entirely different kronos every time, where anything you do on one, is not going to affect the other. And anything you make into a problem, you can restore through PCG file backups. And you can move content from one PCG to another. Or load content from various PCG into one loading and then save that mixed loading as an entirely different PCG.
All this can help sort out confusion or dig you deeper into it, depending on your creative prowess.

And then you have PCG tools to work with, on computer software only. Takes possibilities even further.

You will be amazed how much can be worked out via a PCG file system to help huge and complicated work loads. P=Program... C=Combi... G=Global. PCG.

Kronos flexibility can get you into a confused knot, i agree... But kronos has other options elswhere, that gives flexibility to help manage the confused knot issue. It is just a matter of understanding kronos resources and having the creativity to use them to make what you need happen.

Between Konos and Montage, it is usually about how you go about making it happen, and not an issue of it can or cannot happen. Also the things that one keyboard can do and the other cannot, Kronos has more on the can do list.
I get lost on the Montage navigation system. Even on simple tasks like tempo edits. Tempo edit was never a problem on any korg keyboard i have had.

Kronos is not lost by the Program/Combi reference system. It is just a matter of wether you like the way Montage does it or like the way Kronos does it.
I like Kronos PCG system and have learned to use it in creative ways to overcome being easily confused amid so much flexibility.
Sure Montage sounds easy for customizing Combi/performances, but how does it compare with filing systems like Kronos .PCG?

I have doubts about being able to have so much flexibility without taking on complexity. I doubt making it confusion proof, is going to leave room for flexibility.

People don’t get workstations like Kronos or Montage becasue they want simple non confusing equipment. They get them for the never ending quest to have something that does more than the rest and does it in ways the others do not do it. They want something that will “stump the chump” and bring the need to learn more.

And when it comes to hardware going out of style, Kronos is software based, built into an evolved legacy hardware controller.
Computer software synths are king now, but they still require controllers to work them. Kronos is that Contoller and software all in one... And so is Montage.
There is still a future for hardware synths because software does not play itself without a controller board, and software can be built into the controller board.
Stage performing keyboardist is what Kronos and Montage are about and stage performing keyboardists see the hardware with keys/controls first and then the software behind it is the deal maker. life on a compact stage is a lot easier with an all-in-one rig. Or as close to all-in-one as it can get.

Another great thing about PCG file system is it allows you to have virtually unlimited banks. Run out of banks? Load a new PCG file in a few seconds and have a entirely new set of banks that you can fill with whatever you want.
Run out of internal memory for PCG files and other saves? Buy a collection of USB thumb drives that you can rotate through for unlimited storage of more PCG files than a human mind should have to deal with.

The flexibility is there for making it happen as you need it, but maybe not the ease of it being all there ready made at the open of a screen page.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Very bad overall organizational structure of Korg Kronos Reply with quote

GrandMasterKorg wrote:
Abstract:

I have a warning for everybody who is thinking about to buy a Kronos.

I found out that the Korg Kronos has a very bad organizational structure in terms of how the combinations and the programs refer to each other.

This bad organizational structure is prone to faults and will easily mess up your Kronos.

Background:

A Combination is very stupid, because the combination absolutely don’t know, which exact programs it contains.

Yamaha Montage is going a completely different way.

rge.jpg[/img]

In the Montage, the performances are now organized only in categories and the synthesizer is always in the „Performance mode“ („Combination mode“ in Kronos)

Now comes the huge advantage and the game changer: each performance consists of 16 parts and they are always directly stored inside the dedicated performance.

So there is absolutely no way, that a performance can lose their parts,... like it happens in the Kronos

For me it is time to sell the Kronos, because of the old fashioned architecture of programs and performances and how thy badly refer to each other, I don’t like the organizational structure.

tlook:[/u][/b]

The windows operating system offers already a perfect basic structure for files and software synthesizer make use of it.

Now I will sell my Kronos and buy a Montage and then we will see.

Yes, maybe sell your Kronos. Its not working out for you and your approach. Its not the first time a new owner has gotten frustrated. I see you have gotten excellent advice on this forum.

I have a "warning" about the Kronos, too;

1) its not a Montage. It will never work like a Montage
2) Its not like your Windows PC
3) Learning the Kronos modes and navigation is not " try as you go ". One
has to mostly disregard a Yamaha approach and a Windows PC experience
when learning the basics of the Kronos and its OS, file structure , etc.
4) Don't expect Korg adapt to you with its approach
5) Don't rush to buy several 3rd party sample Libs and then install them all at once without reading the install instructions.

The above is what I call the " don't's "

Most realize Kronos is on the complex side. With its 9 engines, modes, file system, multiple tabs and sub tabs, multiple controls and its constraints/limits. All of which is documented and well discussed.

Everyone mostly agrees with this and 1) accepts it. 2) Adapts to it.
Kronos has greater than average learning curve for the new Korg keyboard owner.

There are excellent Korg Kronos tutorials on youTube.
It will likely take some hours/days and quiet time, learning the mode basics,
and what the limits are.

This investment in learning time is just as important as spending $3000 [+] on a Kronos.

You might take a day or 2 break from your Kronos and make an effort to start fresh, begin with a new learning approach.

I think its worth it but everyone is different. And a new keyboard is also an emotional decision/purchase.

Best of luck and make great music with either fantastic keyboard.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Greg, agree. I couldn't say better.

The Kronos is everything but a "ready cooked" synth. It requires many investments in time.
First things first : taking the Owner's manual (not the Pameter Guide) and follow it step by step, page after page.
NormC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Very bad overall organizational structure of Korg Kronos Reply with quote

GrandMasterKorg wrote:
Abstract:

I have a warning for everybody who is thinking about to buy a Kronos.

I found out that the Korg Kronos has a very bad organizational structure in terms of how the combinations and the programs refer to each other.

This bad organizational structure is prone to faults and will easily mess up your Kronos.

Background:

A Combination is very stupid, because the combination absolutely don’t know, which exact programs it contains. The combination only know a bank and program number. That’s all. No matter what is particular sound is stored at this position. Is there a pad sound, or a lead sound, it doesn’t matter, the combination only knows e.g. Bank I-AA program 128.

Since you can load new programs to the exact same bank and program place, the combination will sound different,

Yamaha Montage is going a completely different way.

No banks and programs (Yamaha calls them Voices) are existing anymore, there is no „two different mode“ architecture anymore, like before, in Motif, where you had a „Performance mode“ and „Voice mode“, similar to the „Combination mode“ and „Program mode“ in the outdated Kronos.

Yamaha learned, that such an old fashioned architecture is prone to faults and will heavily confuse the users and paying customers. And they are absolutely right!!

In the Montage, the performances are now organized only in categories and the synthesizer is always in the „Performance mode“ („Combination mode“ in Kronos)

Now comes the huge advantage and the game changer: each performance consists of 16 parts and they are always directly stored inside the dedicated performance.

So there is absolutely no way, that a performance can lose their parts,... like it happens in the Kronos

For me it is time to sell the Kronos, because of the old fashioned architecture of programs and performances and how thy badly refer to each other, I don’t like the organizational structure.

Outlook:

I hope Korg is learning from Yamaha and will change this in the news big Synthesizer that they develop, if they do...?

Because in the age of windows software synthesizer, the hardware machines play a smaller and smaller role. The whole business of hardware synthesizer went down so dramatically, that the suppliers don’t invest so much money anymore in the development like in the earlier years.

So the question is, if we can really expect a new flagship of workstation like Kronos anymore, with a better organizational Architecture.

The windows operating system offers already a perfect basic structure for files and software synthesizer make use of it.

Now I will sell my Kronos and buy a Montage and then we will see.
Thousands of people disagree with you. Enjoy your Montage. Good bye.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For decades, Kurzweil has used the equivalent of what Yamaha has done with the Montage Performances. A Kurzweil program can be 16 part, layered, split, etc. The Montage is NOT the game-changer here.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com

Last edited by burningbusch on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:

Another great thing about PCG file system is it allows you to have virtually unlimited banks. Run out of banks? Load a new PCG file in a few seconds and have a entirely new set of banks that you can fill with whatever you want.
Run out of internal memory for PCG files and other saves? Buy a collection of USB thumb drives that you can rotate through for unlimited storage of more PCG files than a human mind should have to deal with.

This is an excellent point and one that often gets overlooked. In addition, you can load in a completely new set of samples (the equivalent of 10s of GBs) and all new programs, combis, set lists etc. in a minute or slightly more.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Nonone is constrained to use all factory sounds at once !!

It seems that have misunderstood the functionality of a workstation !
If you overwrite a single program of factory resources , you will disorder SEQ & Combinations that are the main power of
Kronos for end-users , therefore this is not a option at all ...
Power users like me that I have a full custom EXs setup (over 20 GB of WavesArt resources) , I have almost unloaded everything
from factory resources and I have overwritten all except GM bank but this doesn't concern simple end-users , so it's crystal
clear that we face Program Banks lacking in Kronos 2 with only 5 free User Banks , not to mention that If you need a single
custom sound Program of another engine (like AL1) , you have to waste a whole Program Bank , if you know what I mean !
Multiple PCG & KSC setups are not an option for a real time performer IMO that needs all the libraries present ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Galf2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, I agree with Antony Sharmman. For example, thirty two free User Banks would allow me to load EXs: guitars, electric guitars, pipe-organs, saxophones and accordions (the remaining HD1 sounds I'm satisfied with the factory), also as several hundred synthetic sounds. To select sounds "one-button", to real-time, to inspire me when I play music Smile
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope people realize, the Montage has only 640 (equivalent of 5 banks X 128) user Performance locations, period. You can't increase this by deleting "factory banks" as you can with the Kronos. In addition, if you tweak a factory sound, it will be saved in one of the 640 user locations. You can't overwrite the "factory" ROM performances. Of course on the Kronos, you can tweak a "factory" program and save it back to the original location.

Busch.

Last edited by burningbusch on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I love about all this is the user name.

You would think a "Grand Master" could easily conquer a Korg instrument, especially if he considers himself a 'GrandMasterKorg'! Grand Master?

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
What I love about all this is the user name.

You would think a "Grand Master" could easily conquer a Korg instrument, especially if he considers himself a 'GrandMasterKorg'! Grand Master?

Indeed.

I am a Junior Master at PacMan

I figure nobody cares so boring forum name it is
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: