Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very good overall organizational structure of Korg Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Very good overall organizational structure of Korg Kronos Reply with quote

I know , this seems like a silly counter point topic

The word 'very' is pushing it. I think 'good' by itself, is a fair assessment

Seriously, and because I have owned Korg keyboards for +20 years, I am ok
with Kronos file structure. The mode approach is smart. Disk and Global get the job done. Our K's have to have multiple tabs, to get at deeper features.

Heck, our K's have copy/paste. It has Set List.

Yes, most of us know the limits. But even that is no surprise- think how 'old' the Kronos approach is- going back to Oasys.

Look at all the 3rd party Sample Libs offered. That blossomed with the K and went exponential as the K became a great seller.

Predicting 'sales success' is not simple. Of course, Yamaha, Roland and Korg expect strong sales of a new board. But its not that predictable.

So the gripes, rants, criticisms we have on ' file structure' is mostly related to
a most popular keyboard, the Kronos.

Yeah, I know, its not perfect. So what else is new and perfect ? Demanding it is fine. But expecting it all the time ? No sir. Thats not the way it rolls, IMO.

As an observation, I think some new owners fall into combi mode, stay there for quite a while, then get surprised that they have to crack the manual when something goes ' wrong '. Then the frustration shows up here.

Learning curve. Get use to it. Learning curve and your K are best friends.

That time invested is just as important as the +$3000 spent on your K.

Bottom line; " Good overall file structure " is a fair statement
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Very good overall organizational structure of Korg Krono Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Very good overall organizational structure of Korg Kronos

I like this. Dancing

As opposed to many who complain wishing the Kronos should have/be this and that instead, I enjoy accepting the limits of musical instruments, adapt to them and/or find solutions when possible (see my sig).

Up to now, the Kronos is the greatest instrument I've ever owned. In the past I also owned several other keyboard instruments - acoustic and electronic.

If the Kronos seems limited, complicated or annoying, imagine... Carrying a 500 lbs Hammond C-3 - that's about 8 times heavier than a Kronos 88. Or working with a Moog modular, connecting wires and turning knobs several minutes before getting a single sound. Or playing a real Mellotron, with tapes refusing to go down at the slightest rise in humidity or after moving it to a gig. Or being limited to 8 memory locations on a Jupiter 4. Face palm

I don't regret selling my older instruments the slightest bit. I much more prefer the so-called "limitations" of my Kronos. Laughing

Nobody can learn and master a Beethoven sonata in 5 minutes. The Kronos architecture can be seen as similar in certain ways. One has to practice all of its aspects before mastering it. This will need time, effort, mistakes, trial and error, starting over many times and, yes, RTFM. Wink

Then, after a while, it becomes much easier and the real fun begins.

Long live to the Korg Kronos. Beer
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the previous comments. There is another thread about problems with the Kronos structure. I don’t think that guy is getting a lot of love here. IMO Korg has produced the best KB I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned a bunch. It’s no secret the Kronos is not something that one will master in just a few hours, or days. Having experience in Korgs older keyboards was very helpful for me. Players just need to plan on spending some time with the Kronos to appreciate what it has to offer.

As for that other guy (from the other thread who’s not happy) maybe the awesome Kronos is not for you.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree too. Though there are times when I wish it was slightly more streamlined, I was immediately at home when I got the Kronos. I've owned Korg workstations in the past so the COMBi / PROG and bank separation was familiar. And most importantly, I get stuff done and enjoy playing and working with it.
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people find hard to accept that only limitation in the setup is a musician not a gear .
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring here a little less optimistic point : Yes yes yes I love my Kronos but... the times are changing and, apart from the professional musicians, there are fewer and fewer people today who buy these wonderful and expensive dinosaurs that are the Kronos or Montage or any other big ws. And today : plugs are on the rise, and they are more and more imaginative and innovative. A keyboard of control is near to be enough hardware to go to paradise ! Wink

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Sorry to bring here a little less optimistic point : Yes yes yes I love my Kronos but... the times are changing and, apart from the professional musicians, there are fewer and fewer people today who buy these wonderful and expensive dinosaurs that are the Kronos or Montage or any other big ws. And today : plugs are on the rise, and they are more and more imaginative and innovative. A keyboard of control is near to be enough hardware to go to paradise ! Wink

Perhaps you're ritght. But, you know, The fact that many people are doing that, is not necessery a clue of good taste !!! (That's a joke !)

The eternal debate of hard synths VS plugins. Why not a new kind of hybrid Kronos (with analog part), compatible with VST plugins we could load in ?

"fewer and fewer people" : do you have any real numbers and statistics about that ?

If there were no market anymore for this type of instrument, do you think a firm like Moog would goes on selling some monster like the Moog One (almost 9,000 $) ? I'm sure many amateur musician will continue to buy this type of keyboard.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only think that at this moment all the Korg team are asking themselves a lot of questions about the opportunity to continue to manufacture this kind of product that is a workstation. I sincerely believe that they should move towards a new direction in the very conception of the successor of the Kronos. It is not the end of the workstations : they simply must change. Very Happy

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:

yes, brother. Hindsight tends to make us 'perfect'. Every year my hindsight improves, esp after 7 Years Very Happy

But you are griping about Korg. I agree with you, as I am critical of Korg.

But thats not what This Topic is about.

Thank you
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
kronoSphere wrote:

Perhaps you're ritght. But, you know, The fact that many people are doing that, is not necessery a clue of good taste !!! (That's a joke !)

The eternal debate of hard synths VS plugins. Why not a new kind of hybrid Kronos (with analog part), compatible with VST plugins we could load in ?

"fewer and fewer people" : do you have any real numbers and statistics about that ?

If there were no market anymore for this type of instrument, do you think a firm like Moog would goes on selling some monster like the Moog One (almost 9,000 $) ? I'm sure many amateur musician will continue to buy this type of keyboard.

Really.

And I like intuition. But real data , and without that, even 'reasonable ' guess work is ok.

Funny how well intentioned topics veer off in other directions Very Happy
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact : what I love the most in the Kronos are its defaults. They force me to find other roads and suddenly the solution is there ! Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: