Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for Vocoder Mic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfootjim159

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for Vocoder Mic Reply with quote

I’m looking for suggestions on a mic to get to use for the vocoder function in my Kronos. I have a Shure beta 58 as a vocal mic and for the vocoder I would like to have a smaller more convenient Mic that is not quite as bulky that I can have hooked to the Miic input on my Kronos. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mpabisz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comment isn’t helpful, sorry!

But I was also interested in getting a mic specifically for the vocoder. I was personally thinking a shure sm58 because a) I don’t have a mic. b) I’m sure it would work fine for that. Not sure if this is a good choice or not
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SM 58 mic just in case a mic is needed. It sits bagged all the time until someone shows up to join the music session and needs a mic. Or when i want to play around with vocoder for fun.

I used to always have an SM 58 and even a Beta 87 when i had triton extreme and korg D-3200 recording mixer. The mics were not really for me as i don’t do vocals other than experimentation.

And at one point, i had my SM 58 and Beta 87 bagged away, but always had my Radio shack cheap podium microphone plugged in as my prefered mic.
It had a clear enough sound(not clean nor full bodied sound) and the frequency range it captured focused on the sound that more easily cut through the mix.
So -in situations with the bass-end deficient triton-extreme and my terrible keyboard amp, the cheap podium style mic was better for me in live situations and some recording situations.
I could process the sound through the effects of the old D-3200 and those effects are available in kronos today.
So one day i am again going to get a regular cheap podium mic used more for orators rather than singers that use a wider frequency range.
And it may be better in some instances of vocoder. The best vocoder sounds usually use the tube. Sing into a tube and the other end of the tube drains full flow into the mic. Some of those podium mics already sound like speaking into a tube and are tube shaped without the ball head like SM 58 and vocoder is not putting out the mics sound reproduction quality anyway.

Vocoder is dealing in frequency input. With Vocoder, some program sounds may do better with one kind of mic and the others do better with another kind of mic.
Some program sounds are not as responsive to vocoder and that may be helped with a different kind of mic and it just may end up being better with a cheap mic that normally is a terrible frequency envelope for singing.

Don’t underestimate the value of a few cheap podium mics in your tool bag.
All sound quality has value and it just depends on where your creativity needs whatever sound the most. So much sound processing capability in kronos, i would never turn down a microphone for my collection if it came to me.
Not even cheap terrible sounding podium mics. There are people who go out of their way to get old fashioned powered blow horns to give their music some vintage flare.
And those old powered blow horns are not known for their crisp clean reproduction of what a vocalist blows into them. But they make some music productions a real treat for listeners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: