Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

88 vs. 73 vs. 61: Your postmortem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
decreebass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 88 vs. 73 vs. 61: Your postmortem? Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
I think if you got the 88 key, you'd probably leave it at home. You did say your main is guitar, and only have keys as a side dish, right?

I'd bet if you got the 88-key or even the 73-key, you'd trying gigging it once or twice, but then discover how big and cumbersome it gets. You're not going to put that big beast on a cheap X-stand, right?

You're right; for now, that I would likely not gig with it. HOWEVER, if I stay healthy, I still have a few decades left of gigging left in me (I'm 35 now) so I can't say that I'll always be a guitarist who plays keys on the side; I wouldn't mind joining a band as a full time keys player (or at least a band with more heavy keys) in the future. Even now, I could leave a couple guitars at home - that would mean fewer trips and make it more likely that I'd be willing to take the 88 with me.

Regardless, for now, I still have my Kross 2 61 - which for the most part serves me well. The Kronos 88 wouldn't be wasted. As I've stated, it's more just a treat for myself with the benefit that I can gig with it if I want (or if there's room in the venue, room in my car, etc.

But nah; I have a nice double-braced stand for it. Though, I will probably buy a cheaper, lighter-weight stand for the Kross, since it's only about 8 lbs Cool
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 88 vs. 73 vs. 61: Your postmortem? Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
.... I still have a few decades left of gigging left in me (I'm 35 now) ....

When you're 54 (as I am), you'll hopefully be saying the same! Very Happy Shocked

The way I see it, lugging gear is good cardio...

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website

Last edited by Derek Cook on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from weight and suitability for small stages, one of the advantages of the 61-key is that the vector joystick and main joystick are close enough to each other to be operated with one hand, allowing for some awesome synth control.

drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish to hell Korg would make a 73/76 semi-weighted. That would solve soooo many issues I have currently using a 61.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wish to hell Korg would make a 73/76 semi-weighted. That would solve soooo many issues I have currently using a 61.

+100
PLEASE!!!!! ...... but WITH aftertouch (unlike the LS88!!!!!)
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Quote:

+100
PLEASE!!!!! ...... but WITH aftertouch (unlike the LS88!!!!!)

We can dream. I can't imagine playing synth parts without AT. Once you get used to having it its an integral part.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 88 vs. 73 vs. 61: Your postmortem? Reply with quote

decreebass wrote:
psionic311 wrote:
I think if you got the 88 key, you'd probably leave it at home. You did say your main is guitar, and only have keys as a side dish, right?

I'd bet if you got the 88-key or even the 73-key, you'd trying gigging it once or twice, but then discover how big and cumbersome it gets. You're not going to put that big beast on a cheap X-stand, right?

You're right; for now, that I would likely not gig with it. HOWEVER, if I stay healthy, I still have a few decades left of gigging left in me (I'm 35 now) so I can't say that I'll always be a guitarist who plays keys on the side; I wouldn't mind joining a band as a full time keys player (or at least a band with more heavy keys) in the future. Even now, I could leave a couple guitars at home - that would mean fewer trips and make it more likely that I'd be willing to take the 88 with me.

Regardless, for now, I still have my Kross 2 61 - which for the most part serves me well. The Kronos 88 wouldn't be wasted. As I've stated, it's more just a treat for myself with the benefit that I can gig with it if I want (or if there's room in the venue, room in my car, etc.

But nah; I have a nice double-braced stand for it. Though, I will probably buy a cheaper, lighter-weight stand for the Kross, since it's only about 8 lbs Cool

It's not really age or how fit you are that's the determining factor here, it's the hassle.

I guess what I'm advising is this -- don't get the 88 key if you're not a piano-banging madman, if gigging is at least 50% of what you want to do as a multi-instrumentalist. Instead, get a nice 88-key controller like the Privia PX-5S. You will find many users that rave about its action, portability, and sound (although on that last point I beg to differ). Don't get an el-cheapo 88-key, as they cost about as much as the PX-5S and still don't offer the 4-zone capability. You might very well end up gigging with only the K61 and the Kross, leaving the 88 key at home for piano work via the Kronos.

You can find a used K61 for around $2k and a PX-5S for around $750.

The K61 is much more portable than its heavier siblings (esp with a soft case), but unfortunately it overlaps functionally with your Kross. So you'll either have to choose one over the other or else use both and a possibly a 3rd 88 key. I don't know if the Kross has the ability to use split zones.

I'm a believer that a 2-tier is much more practical than a single tier solution, even if that single is an 88 or 73 key. The set up logistics for 2-tier aren't much more than 1 keyboard, but the flexibilty and productivity of 2 tiers are so much more.

If you're one of those rare birds that plays keys while also playing a guitar or bass, like I am, then I also strongly suggest you get foot pedals. The Kronos pads are a rather unique live benefit in that you can trigger them externally via MIDI like with a foot controller. This lets you play notes like a Taurus pedal, or chords, or trigger audio samples, what have you. Whatever you program the pads to do, you can trigger with your feet. It's like having a 3rd hand. Meaning you could play guitar like normal and just bring in pads or strings or trigger samples with your feet at the same time.

Food for thought.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
decreebass wrote:
Wow! Now THAT'S commitment!

Luckily, I was helped by other guys in the band back then. Laughing

Yeah, I remember being those other guys. If you played in an Allman Brothers tribute band in Long Island back in the 80s, I think you still owe me a few beers. Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 vs. 73 vs. 61: Your postmortem? Reply with quote

decreebass wrote:

If you got the 88-key, do you regret it? Is it too big to take to most gigs? How much does its size affect your willingness to gig with it or take it places? Do you even use outside the home/studio?

I went with the 88 but it was for home / studio use from the very beginning. I'm a guitarist / singer and keyboard musings are purely for my own entertainment, not for gigs.

That said, if I was gigging with a keyboard (and the rooms I was playing could support the wingspan), it would be an 88. After enough years of schlepping Marshall 4x12s, amps and other such things, weighty gear doesn't bother me. Once I step on stage, I prefer to have no limitations.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
decreebass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 vs. 73 vs. 61: Your postmortem? Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
decreebass wrote:

If you got the 88-key, do you regret it? Is it too big to take to most gigs? How much does its size affect your willingness to gig with it or take it places? Do you even use outside the home/studio?

I went with the 88 but it was for home / studio use from the very beginning. I'm a guitarist / singer and keyboard musings are purely for my own entertainment, not for gigs.

That said, if I was gigging with a keyboard (and the rooms I was playing could support the wingspan), it would be an 88. After enough years of schlepping Marshall 4x12s, amps and other such things, weighty gear doesn't bother me. Once I step on stage, I prefer to have no limitations.

Some good points. When I was a professional bassist (before I enlisted in the Army), I would dread the load in; everything was heavy or cold (Midwest in winter, for instance)... but the whole band did it as a team and once we were all set up for the week or weekend, it was nice to have my bass stack and effects ready to go. My guitarist had two big tube amps in road cases and a pedalboard and we all helped with everything. My main concern is really transportation lol!

To be honest, I have a feeling I'm going to be buying both sizes; the 88 for home (ideally for the rest of my life - or at least the next decade or two) and the 61 to gig with. I mean, I can play expressive piano bits on a 61 synth action Kross right now, so I don't feel like it'll cripple any sort of performance (unless I have a purely piano-style gig; in which case, I probably could just bring the 8Cool.

There are so many considerations - I think I'm gonna sell some guitar gear so I can afford both models and then I won't have to choose Smile
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 vs. 73 vs. 61: Your postmortem? Reply with quote

decreebass wrote:
...I can play expressive piano bits on a 61 synth action Kross right now, so I don't feel like it'll cripple any sort of performance...

If you can play piano parts on a Kross, you won't have any trouble playing on a Kronos 61, which has a MUCH nicer keyboard, in fact it's just about the best un- or semi-weighted that I've ever played...at one point I was even thinking about shoe-horning an M3-73 keybed (identical to the K61's, just more keys) into a Kronos 61 - it connects to and works perfectly with the Kronos main board, but it wouldn't fit without major modifications...

df
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
KK wrote:
decreebass wrote:
Wow! Now THAT'S commitment!

Luckily, I was helped by other guys in the band back then. Laughing

Yeah, I remember being those other guys. If you played in an Allman Brothers tribute band in Long Island back in the 80s, I think you still owe me a few beers. Smile

I mainly did ELP, Genesis and Crimson tributes. Oh and I was helping the others too with their heavy stuff and amps. Laughing That was good cardio and gym exercise. Smile
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another K61 and Casio Privia (PX3) gigging player here. I recently got a K2-88 Gold, but I found that I don't really get along with the RH3 keybed, so I'm selling it. It's certainly not bad, but not $3k better than the Casio. I'd gladly deal with the weight if it were a sensational playing experience. I actually still dig the 90's Kurzweil (Fatar) keybeds.

I like the ability to have both weighted and unweighted keys on a gig for a decent organ and piano feel. Doing any kind of authentic organ techniques ("Fly Like an Eagle", etc.) on a piano keybed is really hard on your hands after a song or two. I'm also a heavy-handed and sloppy player, so trying to rock piano on an unweighted 'board results in a lot of extra notes being triggered. Can sound legit on many EP or organ parts, but is heinous on piano. I often play synth leads on weighted keys for that reason. Yes, I suck.

Looking forward to NAMM 2019 to try some of the newer 88-key controllers out there, including semi-weighted stuff. That said, I haven't tried a Kronos LS.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Another K61 and Casio Privia (PX3) gigging player here.

I like the ability to have both weighted and unweighted keys on a gig for a decent organ and piano feel. Doing any kind of authentic organ techniques ("Fly Like an Eagle", etc.) on a piano keybed is really hard on your hands after a song or two.

+1 on the 61/88 combo. More choice is better.

On a side note, we do Fly Like an Eagle as well. I've got a combi just for the space intro. I'm playing bass during the song itself, so just trigger some FX sounds and do some glissando's here and there for the synth parts. But I'd really like to nail the organ parts better. They're difficult to pick up by ear.. Do you have sheet music for the organ parts?
decreebass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a M-Audio Keystartion 88... But after playing the Kronos 88, the Keystation feels like a joke...

In any case, I'm probably gonna try to sell the Keystation and look into a more piano-like 88-key controller for when/if I buy the 61 to gig with Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: