Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Technical Difference(s) in keys between 88 & 61?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
decreebass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Technical Difference(s) in keys between 88 & 61? Reply with quote

Obviously, feel is one thing. But as far as how the keys interact technically with the sound engines and whatnot, is there any difference? Like aftertouch, etc.?

I see there's a huge debate in the interwebs about synth action vs weighted keys, and how synth action is better for synth, but then why does Korg and others keep releasing things like the Kronos with fully weighted keys if that were universally true (never mind the piano sounds).

Anyway, I just want to make sure that if I get the 61, that I'm not missing out on some important technical aspect of the weighted keys, and vice versa if I get the 88 key version.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No action is better than another, except for the individual and their needs.

Korg sells the 88 so that people who primarily are pianists can have a pianistic feel from the keys. Playing piano is not the same as playing synth, and the technique is different. Having the 88 allows someone to play with proper piano technique, if that's what they want, something a player cannot do with the 61-key synth action.

..Joe
decreebass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the reply, but that part I understand; I’m just curious if there’s and technical difference in the operation or functionality of the keys. I don’t know how to word it, I guess, to make it clear. And I guess it should be obvious that both styles would control the board the same way. Just wanted to make sure there were no electrical differences that should affect my decision.
number6uk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, apart from the keybeds (which obviously changes the physical dimensions and weight) there are no other differences between the 61 & 88 key versions.

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: