Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rethinking the Kronos after 6 good years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Track 7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Rethinking the Kronos after 6 good years Reply with quote

For six years I've been using the Kronos for home recording in place of a computer-based DAW. I write mostly orchestral music with lots of live guitar and bass parts added to the Kronos sounds.

Now I'm getting tired of tracking so many audio parts that I think could be done with good virtual instruments (Orange Tree guitars, Native Instruments). I haven't found any guitar samples I like for the Kronos, so I'm wondering if it's time to move on.

I never perform on keyboards, so I don't need the portability. Mainly I just love having everything in one unit without having to mess with computers and peripherals. This is the main reason I bought the Kronos.

Am I suffering from greener-grass syndrome? The endless universe of virtual instruments is alluring, but it also seems like it could be a can of worms.

I'm not unhappy with the Kronos and know I could always come back to it. Just trying to do things as efficiently as possible and pondering whether the Kronos is the best tool for the job.

Any thoughts or advice?
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a home player, and rarely play anywhere. I do use Kronos as my main board and midi controller as well. I do use a DAW as my primary sequencer. There's no reason for me to work any other way.

Yes, soft libraries are very good, but not for quick sketching. Playing around with too many sounds and articulations for orchestral music in particular, it's just a waste of time and inspiration. It'd be much faster to use Kronos or any other good sounding synth to sketch the composition...and then replace or layer things with more dedicated libraries suitable for the purpose.

19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to add to Kronos a computer with what you need on it.
Kronos was made to have at least one external device working together with it.
Adding a Computer with what you need, is as compact as it gets.
And the Computer is flexible in case you get tired of what it brings and need to replace or add to what’s on the computer.

Every Kronos owner has to have at least one external to add to Kronos.
iPad is what i have for now and that is almost as compact as it gets.
Some keep it as compact as iPhone.
I also have one other external and both are compact enought to sit on Kronos and keep my foot print the same.
I plan to replace the iPad with a computer some day but that can wait while i spend on things that aren’t just extras to enhace my toying around experience. I don’t do shows or music for income and hardly use much of the capabilities i have.
So -nearly $5000 for a laptop stocked with what i want, can wait and wait and wait while i buy things that aren’t going to sit there most of the time until the little bit of time i spare just to play with, for fun.

Another thing about waiting, is every year i don’t buy the laptop, new more powerful and more compact laptops come out. My delayed options only get better.
If i am not careful. iPad will end up powerful enough to do the Laptop job by the time i decide to take the long delayed jump into getting a laptop. If iPad will ever make USB file transfer possible and allow iOS to be optioned out with MacOS or at least iOS update that makes it able to do what MacOS does today.

Last edited by 19naia on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rethinking the Kronos after 6 good years Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
For six years I've been using the Kronos for home recording in place of a computer-based DAW. I write mostly orchestral music with lots of live guitar and bass parts added to the Kronos sounds.

Now I'm getting tired of tracking so many audio parts that I think could be done with good virtual instruments (Orange Tree guitars, Native Instruments). I haven't found any guitar samples I like for the Kronos, so I'm wondering if it's time to move on.

I never perform on keyboards, so I don't need the portability. Mainly I just love having everything in one unit without having to mess with computers and peripherals. This is the main reason I bought the Kronos.

Am I suffering from greener-grass syndrome? The endless universe of virtual instruments is alluring, but it also seems like it could be a can of worms.

I'm not unhappy with the Kronos and know I could always come back to it. Just trying to do things as efficiently as possible and pondering whether the Kronos is the best tool for the job.

Any thoughts or advice?

The K may not be the ideal match for your recording flow.

I much prefer using the K's excellent midi instruments and 3rd party samples for my multi track originals. I am a SEQ junkie.

I rarely use audio parts. Usually a voice over or some particular nature Fx/sound where the K is lacking.

It sounds like you do both- gig and home record. Thats quite a load. Assuming you are consistently creating originals.

So I am unclear on your exact priorities and exactly your context. Don't let
my statement be annoying. I am preachy to folks getting totally clear on requirements and music production goals. Thats the opposite of ' try as you go'.

Guitar parts are a huge priority on my originals. "Sahara " and "Epiphany Moment " are examples how I take advantage of Kronos guitars.

Yet, like you, I am not satisfied. I know a real guitarist/audio would be an important improvement.

Just the same, I am giving a few of Kid Nepros E guitar sounds a try-out for improved realism. I need a week or 2 to have an opinion- I work slow.

I don't gig my K either. Thats not a necessity. My goals are recording multi track originals. 44 on Sound Cloud, most with guitar parts. 100% Kronos.

This is sort of why I question what goals, priorities, requirements one has.
rpowell01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from somebody who uses Kontakt, Omnisphere 2 and REFX Nexus 2 you will not find much better in those with Orchestra that I've found in the Kronos.

Just the past week I been demo'ing KaPro Orche and strings stuff. Let me tell you, one of the best if not the best.

But yes the Kronos lacks guitars and Kontakt does have some great patches out there. There was one that was just awesome but I cannot recall the name of the library; Aura or Auro or something like that if I recall correctly.

Do not get like I have the past month and give up on your Kronos, I've found new love demo'ing KaPros stuff and well instead of buying more VSTis I'm going to start purchasing them great sounds he has and others once I get around to them...haha
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Kapro has some really good libraries a cut above the rest IMO.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
Am I suffering from greener-grass syndrome?

Ah the good old "green grass...." thing...... very closely associated with G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome)
It has hit me hard when often one doesn't realise how great one has it.

Me too - 6 years with my KK1 - still learning, still constantly blown away - I really don't think there's anything out there that comes close even though those Youtube demos seem very much "greener" with flashing SuperKnobs and etc......

I now occasionally treat my self to the great Kronos library options..... (my wife is much happier with that Wink )

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Track 7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for you replies. Each one has been very helpful with much good food for thought. What a great community.

Yes, greener grass and G.A.S. I have suffered from all of it. Thank you for reminding me how good I have it with the Kronos.

I'm encouraged to hear that the Kronos holds its own with Kontakt, Omnisphere, etc. Komplete 12 is so alluring, but do I really want to plow through all those articulations and do all that editing? No!

GregC, great question about goals, priorities, requirements.

Quite frankly, when it comes to technology, I am really lazy and want the easiest, most basic way to do things. A tangle of cables and gizmos trips me up fast and makes me want to write a novel instead of music.

I write my scores the old-fashioned way, by hand, in pencil on yellow score paper (amazingly, this paper can still be ordered over the phone from North Hollywood).

When the whole score is done, say 100 pages and 45 minutes' worth of music, I sit down at the Kronos and start sight-reading all the parts into the sequencer.

Then I add the live audio parts. Then mix. Then someone else does the mastering.

Tracking the audio is the most tedious part, and if I could use VSTs and just sequence them, that would be easier than playing all the parts live.

But I don't know. Maybe that is a necessary process that I am lazily trying to avoid. I must say that live audio makes for an organic sound with more dimension than any VSTs. If only I weren't so grumpy about doing it.

Anyway, you guys have inspired me to revisit and refresh my Kronos. My OS is years out of date (3.0.2), and thanks to this forum I've learned how to unload unused programs to make room for other sounds.

My only added library so far is EXs-51, Karo Unison Orchestra. I think I'll check out some KApro sounds next.

I'm still not ruling out a DAW, but first I'm going to revisit the Kronos, maybe add some fresh sounds and even stop writing so many guitar parts to minimize the audio tracking.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.
Galf2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Korg Kronos doesn't have a year old. And I'm very satisfied. But we must recognize the three great shortcomings in the monster.

1. Few banks. (need at least 32 free User Banks)
2. No support VST 64-bit.
3. No piano roll.

Therefore, I will leave here my lonely cry in the desert

Hey, Korg Engineers!
Awww?
Where are you?
You hear me?
Be good guys, make it finally!!!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rethinking the Kronos after 6 good years Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Yet, like you, I am not satisfied. I know a real guitarist/audio would be an important improvement.

I agree too. But one more thing has to considered in order to produce a good guitar sound. It is the way we touch the keyboard. You could get the best guitar sound of the world, if you can't reproduce the real guitarist way of playing, it wouldn't be realisitc, I think.

The only unit I found, wich really approaches that, is the Roli Seaboard. Here is some examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-hzbG5FzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fQbtp2BgY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4Y5xPAC7A (listen from 2:38')

Here is the same with a sax sound : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RrqWC3vWc

Here are tow examples with Kronos :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U25Qth_aAL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXhogefB0Ds (Very beautiful piece)

Same with Interstellar Theme :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1wtu4ZHR4

Roli Seaboard is quite expensive but I think it's worthwhile and could enhanced our Kronos !
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rethinking the Kronos after 6 good years Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
GregC wrote:

I agree too. But one more thing has to considered in order to produce a good guitar sound. It is the way we touch the keyboard. You could get the best guitar sound of the world, if you can't reproduce the real guitarist way of playing, it wouldn't be realisitc, I think.

The only unit I found, wich really approaches that, is the Roli Seaboard. Here is some examples :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-hzbG5FzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fQbtp2BgY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy4Y5xPAC7A (listen from 2:38')

Here is the same with a sax sound : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RrqWC3vWc

Roli Seaboard is quite expensive but I think it's worthwhile and could enhanced our Kronos !

Yes, I agree with you. The Roli would be a $1000[?] investment in articulation approaching guitar.

In addition to getting close to guitar expressiveness, it can take 'improv' on the Kronos to another level.

I haven't studied the Roli but since you reminded me, its now on my study/shop list.

Thank you !
Track 7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Liviou, thanks for posting those Seaboard links. This looks to me like learning a whole new instrument, which makes tracking guitars seem like not such a hassle after all.

These Orange Tree samples are very attractive, but who knows what kind of controller it would take to get these results:

https://youtu.be/jL3aaBUkKpM

Probably at least synth action instead of weighted as on my Kronos 73.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been said by others..
The kronos is not just a master piece
But also a masterfull controller..

I dont think you have a better choice for controlling vst’s then the kronos..
And it comes with all the musicallity inside..

The only real thing irritating me on th K is the boot time...
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
My only added library so far is EXs-51, Karo Unison Orchestra. I think I'll check out some KApro sounds next.

I find Unison Orchestra to be quite handy. I did these three compositions with it:

Unison song #1

Unison song #2

Unison song #3

KARO KUO and KSL are good for having the smaller, basic strings and some brass programs. The KApro stuff uses a lot of layers and composites of some of those and many new samples. They sound awesome, but do use a lot of polyphony.

A DAW would be a good idea for laying those sounds down in tracks. I don't use a DAW, so I made my own programs that allow me much more polyphony. There are many samples in the raw material. including some that aren't in the KApro programs.

I made this video that shows several of the programs that are in Epic Composer and The 5th Element. You'll hear some KUO/KSL programs, too.

I also have the Korg Funk and Soul Brass (EXs 16), which has some great french horn, trumpet, trombone, etc. sounds, EXs 193 (female vocals), plus some E-MU orchestral sounds, and Bluezone samples.

Those and the KARO/KApro libraries all automatically load up, when I turn the Kronos on. I unchecked the 4 gig piano libraries (from Global KSC Auto-Load) to make the room. I find the HD-1 pianos, like Piano Damper and Stereo Concert Piano, to be sufficient for my needs.
Track 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for reading my mind. I was thinking of starting another thread to ask about other orchestral libraries. Your videos make me appreciate the Kronos more. After the holidays I will sit down and figure out sample management to make room for other sounds. I don't use that many, maybe a few dozen. Would be great to streamline my auto loads for max RAM and efficiency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: