Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NK2D!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
decreebass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: NK2D! Reply with quote

EDIT: Kronos 2 88-key!

Just ordered this bad boy from Sweetwater. There was some miscommunication, so they offered to overnight it to me in New York! Unfortunately, I wasn't home at the time, so I had to drive out to the FedEx place to pick it up. The time to pick it up was incorrectly listed on the door tag, so I had to wait around for over an hour at the FedEx place. Ugh. The box itself was MASSIVE. It was almost 6' long, over 2' wide, and about 14" deep - not to mention it weighed about 76 lbs! ...I only drive a little Subaru Legacy sedan...

Long story longer, I had to open the Sweetwater box and take the keyboard (in its box out) and even that barely fit in my car through the trunk with the seats down (although the trunk wouldn't close). Finally got it home and inside. The whole ordeal took a good few hours.

But O.. M... G... The minute I plugged it in and booted it up, I was floored. I spent the first couple hours just on the first couple piano patches in Setlist mode. The Japanese Grand was especially delicious. I can't believe how great the keys feel. I was immediately able to hear and feel the subtle nuances of a real piano. In fact, several times when I hit the middle C#, it reminded me of my college days about 15 years ago when I'd be in the basement practice rooms jamming out on the baby grands the school had. This thing sounds and feels so real...

Next I started to explore some of the COMBIs and Karma. THAT'S gonna take a while to understand fully, but I really enjoyed just jamming out to some of the patches. I was especially entranced by some of the COMBIs that have Organ in them. I know piano keybeds are not ideal for organ technique, but I'm not good enough for organ technique anyway; but you better believe I was doing my best and my hands were feeling the workout Smile

Anyway, thanks to everyone on this board who helped me make my decision - even those who I disobeyed who suggested I wait until after NAMM lol! I have no regrets. I can pretty much guarantee that I will not be gigging this beast, though. It's just too big and heavy. Now, though, I have to sell some guitar amps to fund the purchase of the 61-key version!

I look forward to learning from all of you, contributing to the discussion, and eventually helping out the next guy or gal just getting into this beast of a machine!

Last edited by decreebass on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. I believe u are saying u have a new Kronos 88

You could have hedged with SW. Tell them if korg announces a replacement in the next 45 days, u can return.

I don't believe that's in the card. But for $3000 it's good to have an option.
IAA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear! Check out some of the great videos from members on this site and of course the Korg video tutorials. If you get the basics under your belt, the rest follows - like playing the piano really!

Also get into a backup routine - it’s not that the Kronos is unstable because it isn’t. But it’s good discipline as you develop your own programmes and songs.

Wait whilst you try rolling your own samples, great stuff!

Ian
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NK2D! Reply with quote

decreebass wrote:

O.. M... G... The minute I plugged it in and booted it up, I was floored.

Yeah, I had the same reaction. Cool that you went 88. Now that you're hearing (and feeling) what this thing can do, you'll be able to explore the full range of it with no limitations.

decreebass wrote:
Now, though, I have to sell some guitar amps to fund the purchase of the 61-key version!

Buy a Kemper. Then you can sell all of your amps (I did exactly that last month). With the money left over, you can buy the 61. And have lots more amp sounds! Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: NK2D! Reply with quote

decreebass wrote:
thanks to everyone on this board who helped me make my decision - even those who I disobeyed who suggested I wait until after NAMM lol! I have no regrets.

It's not like something is going to come out and make your Kronos sound bad. IMO, this thing is at the top of the heap, even after 7 years.

So, here is my newest advice: Wait until after NAMM to buy your second Kronos. Very Happy
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, some electronic/digital musical instruments remained unsurpassed for their particular abilities in their respective times and even decades after. I believe the Kronos is one of them.

Just like the Novachord (30s/40s), the Mellotron and Moog modulars (60s), the Korg PS series synths (70s), the Kurzweil 250 (80s), etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: