Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Volca releases at 2019 NAMM
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: New Volca releases at 2019 NAMM Reply with quote

I guess you've probably heard about the new Volca Modular and Drums by now:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/12/21/korg-volca-modular-volca-drum-coming-at-2019-namm-show-unofficial/

So, what do you think?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Volca releases at 2019 NAMM Reply with quote

LM wrote:
I guess you've probably heard about the new Volca Modular and Drums by now:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/12/21/korg-volca-modular-volca-drum-coming-at-2019-namm-show-unofficial/

So, what do you think?

Interesting to says the least. Wavefolding, lpgs, woggle and AD env's means the Modular is a step away from the subtractive synthesis Korg have been doing pretty much forever (excluding the Wavestation) and basically making a mini Buchla. Lucky they have included a multiple on there or there'd be more input points than output points.
The Drum interesting in that it has more than a 3 character dispay and it sorta make me think there will be some menu-diving. The waveguide is rather odd to include on a drum synth considering they tend to be for more stringy type sounds as opposed to membrane instruments and they don't do low frequencies very nicely due to their pitch being controlled by the rate parameter of a delay circuit. That said, it might be good for adding a plucky element to a percussion sound I guess. Apparently more info to come about both in mid January is the comments section is to be believed.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both very interesting.

If I hadn't just purchased four semimodulars, I'd have been all over the modular like a starving wolverine on a dead elk.

The drum and the waveguide make me think about what I'd proposed some time ago: a Volca Karplus-Strong. I can see why they would go for a more generic percussion synth first, but from my perspective this is a missed opportunity.

Also, still waiting for a Volca Wave(table).

More seriously, I think that the real winner that has lots of people excited is the Modular. I hope that it comes with a packet of header wires.
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modular is very interesting, but don't you guys think the wires for the patch points will probably end up snapping off inside? I can see this happening way too often, especially if they're flimsy.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point.

did however inspire thoughts on how to do wave out mods
on the other ones - at least at experimental level.

looking at those small modulars (forget the brand), they appear
to use cable ribbon headers as the interface. oh yeah, the
Tinysizer:

[img]https://i2.wp.com/palmsounds.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2cb60-kgrhqrhjeufgrubl5brgupletg60_57.jpg?resize=400%2C353&ssl=1[/img]

so it got me thinking that chopping one of those down, or using a
smaller ribbon (or two, one for outs, one for ins) could provide a
compact interface for circuitbending - or finding hack points.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Both very interesting.

If I hadn't just purchased four semimodulars, I'd have been all over the modular like a starving wolverine on a dead elk.

The drum and the waveguide make me think about what I'd proposed some time ago: a Volca Karplus-Strong. I can see why they would go for a more generic percussion synth first, but from my perspective this is a missed opportunity.

Also, still waiting for a Volca Wave(table).

More seriously, I think that the real winner that has lots of people excited is the Modular. I hope that it comes with a packet of header wires.

WTF, FOUR semi's? I guess I've spent enough on modules this year to buy that many myself, but there is something too easy about spending a (relatively) small amount every month than dropping 1k on a Mother32 and then waiting three months before repeating something close by grabbing a 0-Coast or any other other offerings out there.

I too find it odd that they didn't just do a straight-up Karplus-Strong synth especially as there isn't anything like that available. The Volca format would suit such a synth down to the ground as it's not like it's too deep a form of synthesis, but would really fill the string/reed organ shaped hole in the Volca range! Just a simple triangle osc to sit beneath it to flesh-out the bottom end, with a 2-pole highpass for sculpting and it'd be set!

roblabs wrote:
The modular is very interesting, but don't you guys think the wires for the patch points will probably end up snapping off inside? I can see this happening way too often, especially if they're flimsy.

As Koekepan has said, I'm hoping for proper header-wire/component lead quality connectors to be supplied with the Modular. Anything less would be asking for trouble.

ShoNuff wrote:
good point.

did however inspire thoughts on how to do wave out mods
on the other ones - at least at experimental level.

looking at those small modulars (forget the brand), they appear
to use cable ribbon headers as the interface. oh yeah, the
Tinysizer:

[img]https://i2.wp.com/palmsounds.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2cb60-kgrhqrhjeufgrubl5brgupletg60_57.jpg?resize=400%2C353&ssl=1[/img]

so it got me thinking that chopping one of those down, or using a
smaller ribbon (or two, one for outs, one for ins) could provide a
compact interface for circuitbending - or finding hack points.

You're already planning pull the things apart even with one of them having outside-the-box access to most of it as designed, LOL! I would like to plug an 1/8" socket to the patch-points, but without a manual telling us what voltages are being used (amongst other details), it's still like counting eggs and tallying chickens....
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha... still the ongoing thing about whether the vBass can be improved.

and it is the only one with the Service Manual published, with full
schematics. (where are the other service manuals?)

Last edited by ShoNuff on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
WTF, FOUR semi's? I guess I've spent enough on modules this year to buy that many myself, but there is something too easy about spending a (relatively) small amount every month than dropping 1k on a Mother32 and then waiting three months before repeating something close by grabbing a 0-Coast or any other other offerings out there.

It's less than you think.

A Behringer Neutron and D, and then a Dreadbox Erebus V3 and a MiniBrute 2S.

Altogether, under $2K for a lot of combined synthesis power.

Besides, I had a little windfall and I had to spend it quickly before wiser heads found other uses for the cash.

(OK, I also bought a Tascam portastudio, but that's not a synth.)
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
megamarkd wrote:

It's less than you think.

A Behringer Neutron and D, and then a Dreadbox Erebus V3 and a MiniBrute 2S.

Altogether, under $2K for a lot of combined synthesis power.

Besides, I had a little windfall and I had to spend it quickly before wiser heads found other uses for the cash.

(OK, I also bought a Tascam portastudio, but that's not a synth.)

Ohh yeah the new B's, forgot about them and the MiniBrute2 series (which is odd considering my heavy use of their standalone sequencers). The portastudio is also a great addition for keeping things away from the DAW until the mastering stage (if at all once a mixdown to stereo is done).

Considering Korg has done a rerelease of it's famous semi-modular in both 1/4" and 1/8", and the huge popularity of modular now, I'd like to think that the Volca Modular is a testing of the waters for what may come next.....

Last edited by megamarkd on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have grabbed a desktop MS20 kit, but they're not available any more, alas.

I, too, hope that KORG will rediscover the modular world - perhaps in the same vein as Hungry Robot.

Oh, and I do mastering on the Portastudio as well. I got the DP32SD that will do final stages including normalisation.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I would have grabbed a desktop MS20 kit, but they're not available any more, alas.

I, too, hope that KORG will rediscover the modular world - perhaps in the same vein as Hungry Robot.

Oh, and I do mastering on the Portastudio as well. I got the DP32SD that will do final stages including normalisation.

Regarding the MS20 1/4" reissue, I didn't like the idea of having to do the final assembly myself. Although I am adept at constructing kits, I think it was a little bit too much risk for the amount of money that could be potentially fried if anything could have gone wrong (besides owning an MS20 already). Grabbing a 1/8" mini 2nd hand has crossed my mind just so I don't have to muck around with adaptors for using my original with my modular Wink
With Roland getting into the Eurorack fray a few years ago now and doing quite nicely at it too (with a little help from Malekko), it's time the other two of the "Big Three" Japanese synth companies got involved I feel. It's not like they haven't a history of suburb analogue stand-alones and it'd be great to have some of the Korg digital goodness from the Micro/MS2000 happening in a hands-on patching environment. Let's see how the Volca Modular plays-out first though (again I'm counting incubating chickens with all this talk of Korg Eurorack lol)
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more interested in KORG expanding the MS[125]0 lineup and bringing them back as a family in their own right.

Alternatively, broaden the Volca lineup until they become a hardware counterpart of Gadget.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ShoNuff on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing here contributed to the discussion, so removed.

Last edited by megamarkd on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT

Last edited by ShoNuff on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: