Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Volca releases at 2019 NAMM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoNuff wrote:

i was going to say sorry i was a bit narked by your putdown tone
yesterday but it seems the same today

Sorry you heard my initial comments with that tone of voice. Please see my PM for further correspondence.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg sites have got the new Volcas listed now:

https://www.korg.com/au/products/dj/volca_modular/index.php

https://www.korg.com/uk/products/dj/volca_drum/

There are promo videos for both but the Volca Drum has soundcloud demo tracks and full 5min+ "Meet the Volca Drum" video.
Not really sure which part of the Modular promo is actually the Modular. Possibly all of it is done using multiple Modulars as it's a layered track. Sounds nice enough, but something showcasing what one on it's own sounds like would have been useful. The detail on the Modular are all there except the voltages that it's patching runs on. The patch leads they will be supplied with look sturdy enough, just don't slap them while patched!

The Drum sounds like a Volca Kick but so much more also. It's a proper multi part drum synth and sequencer. Like the Kick, it sounds like it'll punch a hole in the wall! I dunno how Korg are going to sell any Volca Beats now they've released this. The soundcloud demos had me wondering if it was just it, but after watching the run-through video, I know that they are just it and not a couple running at once. I'm thinking I might have to get one, though I'm a bit of a drum machine/drum synth junkie.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UMEFLKHZq5s

This video is the Volca Drum.
It's Cuckoo, I believe he's done one for the modular too,but I didn't see it "up next".

Yes it does look / sound nice doesn't it. It's working more like an Elektron box now with step automation assignable by holding a step and tweaking.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the changing pattern before end, in a fill like fashion - excellent for drums, and that solo feature Shocked
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorta confused by the linked video. I do see though how the Volca Drum is almost an Octotrack sans sampling. I used to have gas for an Octotrack badly, but have since passed on it for various reasons.
I'm hoping that I can make a better sounding snare considering the one demoed in the overview vid is still pretty much the weak snare from the Beats; lacking that *snap* a good crisp snare has.

I've found a nice overview for the Modular published by Ask.Audio here:

After spending 6mths building a ridiculoid machine, I'm more inclined to pass over the Modular, but it's a bloody awesome addition to the Volca range and keeping in mind how the previous units have been very mod-friendly, after I see a naked Volca Modular, my decision about owning one may change. It really does sound like what I use about 5 modules to achieve. If only I could use my 8th" leads to patch into it's breadboard interface....

With these two new Volcas, (and the Kick) I feel like Korg have found their stride in the series. Making little instruments that aren't trying to be too much like big-boys but don't feel like they are lacking that one thing to make them great.

Last edited by megamarkd on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds nice.
I see what you mean I think, it's bringing a boutique synthiness to the high street.
Darkside

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the beginning I was deeply interested in the new Drum, cause it sounds like no regular drum machine and has that nice experimental quality. Then I watched that Cuckoo mega tutorial and a wave of sadness struck, as I understood that fully digital Volca meens more menus, which would be quite a problem in this case. As always, if volcas had step buttons instead of that darn touch thing, there wouldn't be any issues, but well, that's the way it is.
Then I began to look at the Modular not as a typical/"normal"/regular subtractive synth, which it of course is not, it became an object of extreme interest and I'm going to get it during the spring!
I also asked myself quite deeply, if I really need sutch thing and to answer that, recorded something with a bunch of Erica Synths Pico series modules. As I haven't shared anything here for quite some time and also to celebrate the beauty of the modular synthesis in any form, I invite all those interested to take a listen to this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta5qcp7kyb2coq1/Tunnel%20tundmatusse.mp3?dl=1

As the track progresses, it gets somewhat more interesting. If harsh feelings arrise, please take into consideration, that this is my first experiment in sutch style. So yeah, when Volca Modular will be added into my small, but dence synth family, hmmm - who knows...
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the Drum will be an interesting synthdrum - but it reminds me too much
of the ER1 (which i sold recently Sad ), with a finer resolution. there's a lot
more to the ER1 than meets the eye, and it has loads of memory. i wish korg
would give more pattern memory to these things, because small doesn't mean
toy - quite the contrary for me now.

i'm more interested in the Modular - not so much for randomish stuff, but more
to get the killer bass tone or something. having all that in a little box is
fantastic. i hope they do more.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkside, cheers for the sounds. Nice ambient soundscape reminding me of Autechre sans beats.
Erica Synth's Pico range is great set of modules for creating a subtractive synth and affordable to boot!
I tend to agree with you on the menu-diving aspect of the VDrum and lack of pads. Using a touch-strip is one of the reasons I tend to sequence my VBeats. Menu-diving is also becoming a bit of a common thing for modular synths also. The ES Disting module for example is wonderful concept though I'm becoming wary of diving to program it and have sort of made it a sample player for the most part and purchased modules that perform other functions I was using it for when I originally added it to the rack.

As I've mentioned, the VModular is like five modules in one little box. So tempting even if it doesn't run on the regularly used eurorack CV levels.

ShoNuff the ER-1 is still a sort after drum module for those who know. Great drum synth, great sequencer and great modulation options.
I sometimes don't like the toy-like nature of the Volcas, but have to agree that small doesn't mean toy. I've owned toy synths and toy samplers. Volcas are way more advanced than they. MIDI and Sync are things toys don't have for a start. I don't know why some view Volcas and other smaller non-traditional synth formats in the same way some guitarists view all synths: not real instruments. Some musicians are actively hostile towards people who use them! But I digress.
Although additive synthesis tends to favour the mid and upper registers I did hear some nice bass in the VModular demo I listened/linked to. Never easy to tell with YT audio played through PC speakers though.Something I noticed after watching it again was the frequency response graph about the unit displaying the frequency content of the sounds created. Didn't lacking in bass but without labelling it's hard to really tell.
One thing is for sure though it'll do some nice bell and wire tones out of it not ordinarily available with the tri/saw/squ osc's usually found on a subtractive synth.
Darkside

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megamarkd, thanks for commenting the track. As it's my first experiment in sutch style, it is quite important to get some listener comments. Some friends liked it, others were startled when hearing something like that comming from my side, but anyway...

Regarding synths/samplers being toys or not, nowadays we are in sutch state, where cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad or lower quality, rather slightly reduced feature set and sometimes even not that. This shows itself pretty well with things like TCElectronic M100: cheap, but nicely constructed; not many algorithms, but still quality sound. I personally don't view cheaper options as toys. We mustn't forget, that the tb-303, tr-606 and some others were also quite on the lower ranks when released as fresh and nobody took them seriously in first years. Who knows, may-be volcas will be there one day - Monotribe sort of is already gaining somewhat legendary status, as it's hard to come by as new and used units are getting only higher in price.
The only thing I personally don't injoy about some of those smaller/cheaper instruments is battery only powering option, sutch as in TE pocket operators.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the small+cheap form factor not always meaning crap. I'd like to get a hold of a Monotribe, or see a reissue. They really are a nifty little box.

The battery issue with the first incarnation of the PO's is a bit of an annoyance. Some owners have made some adaptors to have them run from a DC power pack. If you use those batteries made for flash photography/high current devices the PO's actually will run for a very long time. A good thing to do is to check battery level before a session though, never a fun thing for an instrument to stop unexpectedly!

I find that there is an advantage to battery power though and there is less noise and an easy of movement due to less cables. I was originally against the use of USB power for instruments/sequencers but after buying a very hefty USB power brick, I am completely for it! The less DC wallwarts there is the happier the world will be.

I dunno if we will ever see a repeat of the TB303 phenomenon. We need something with a very unique sound to be left in a corner of the room again and I feel that with the way the music realm is today, that will never ever happen the same way it did with the TB303. I maybe wrong but really with things like the Volcas, all that they are capable of is discovered rather quickly and harnessed for use. Ask ShoNuff about scrutinising them for what you can make them do which was never intended! The days of the musical "secret weapon" are gone pretty much. If anything the ER-1 could be one, if it wasn't for everyone who knows saying "the ER-1 is the one!" and giving the secret away LOL

But I would like to see a band or something happen with all Volcas. When the Electribes were released an artist named Like-A-Tim made an album entirely with them called "Red And Blue Boxing", but the Volcas are way suited to having several people operating one each in a band-like situation due to their limited sequencers also being super performance ready with all the instant play-modes.
The same sort of band thing could be done with the PO's, or even a combination of the Volcas and PO's. I have a friend who is all about using instruments to perform over doing the whole program, press play then air punch as it plays. He originally wrote of the PO's as one of those machines but I took mine around and played it by jumping between sequences and using the parm-locking of their effects as the performance. He was sufficiently impressed to want my to do it again. I do feel there is an opportunity to use these little machines as instruments in a live capacity.
Darkside

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, now I got the Volca Modular and while it sounds big, those patchpoints and pins are really tiny. Pico is huge next to that, but well, no problem: just another exercize for fingers.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-haa! you have your mits on the MO-dular. so what other impressions?
huge ? that will do Very Happy i guess the re-patching thing is going to be a bit
more thoughtful that just mad patching sessions.
(wonder what else you can patch into it...)

personally, i think the FM is the most impressive up to these releases.
in spite of velocity and poyphony. it's just quite versatile, with some
reasonably serious features.

you know a dude has hacked the firmware of the volca Sample so it will
play all on one midi channel now? he won't give me a download of his
hacked firmware Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad reckons he doesn't want to be responsible
for bricking people's volcas... (i'm going to ask him how to edit the firmware,
see if i can do it myself)
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you even flash a Volca to start with? SYSEX? As much as being able to control the VSample on one channel is a nice thing, it still has no easy way to control pitch.

The price of the two new Volcas is creeping up out of that pocket money bracket....
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you play it in via audio data to the sync jack.
there are some compromises with the MIDI CC due to the large number needed.
can't recall right now what the workaround was. perhaps also has chromatic
play working.

come to think of it, how does the RetroKits cable deal with the CCs?

to me, it would be really useful to have all on one channel -and have
chromatic play- as options. don't really need all the controls as realtime
modulators, and probably not going to dedicate 10 midi channels to it.

oh yes, and he's done pattern change via midi message.

i'm not really into the volca sequencers tbh, they're too limited as they are,
with short patterns. more useful as mini sound modules perhaps - and if
i do midi out on all of them, then sequencers can receive, and generate
midi to be recorded.

for example: getting frustrated with Keys sequencer: but it records MIDI
well. so do midi out mod on the Bass, and use that to program the Keys.
or same thing with one of the others - FM, because that's quantized.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: