Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Volca releases at 2019 NAMM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, with the same thinking - editing firmware - it is possible to re-assign or
restore velocity with the FM. (velocity could even be assigned to specific
targets, in theory) - don't know if it could receive individual parameter sysex.
that would be brilliant. (will make do with Dexed in the meantime)

Maybe Keys could get a new feature allowing transposition of sequences?
-realised that was lacking.
(any other ideas for Keys?)

Beats could maybe receive velocity? (record it?)

all could receive pattern change messages...

memory appears to be limited but there is some space to do stuff on, as
far as what's been said. not clear if all share the same hardware for this.

but it is not legal to distribute Korg firmware files, and the guy is worried
about distributing his own, in case it results in people's machines getting
bricked.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear in mind also that the license specifically excludes reverse engineering
or dissassembling their copyrighted firmware haha so that's officially a
no-go. Smile

? what the hell is the point of making an OK GO version ?!
who are OK GO? do you actually go to the point of manufacturing a whole
separate version, just to supply it with a few different samples?
that doesn't make sense....
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminded me of the U2 iPod. I'm guessing that whoever/whatever OK GO are/is approached Korg for a collaboration, so they did that.
Okay after a quick look around, OK Go are a band are known for their video clips (which says a lot). About the same time as the OK Go edition of the Volca Sample, they did a perfume collaboration. I'm guessing it smelt like beer-soaked carpet and stale tobacco smoke, as this is what I think of when I think "ode de roque-band".
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and perhaps inviting the notion that companies could buy up batches of
volca Samples as merchandising giveaways or something, with a quite
silkscreen job on the facia.

right now it means a load of highly undesirable volca OK GOs ... unless you
got given one and punk it up yourself with a spraycan.

my current 'crisis' with my volca theory is obviously you can't have loads of
power supplies, so i'm going to have to get a multi-prong thing - and then
the proper volca PSUs become redundant because i can use any old
1A+ PSU to connect to the splitter. :-/

oh and proliferation of midi cables, and one quad thru box exclusively
dedicated to volcas. - you see: the mini thing, soon becomes its own
spaghetti system. that's before working in anything else.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkside wrote:
So yeah, now I got the Volca Modular and while it sounds big, those patchpoints and pins are really tiny. Pico is huge next to that, but well, no problem: just another exercize for fingers.

Are the leads at risk of being snapped at all like someone expressed a fear of happening? Have you checked the voltages of the CV's being used?

ShoNuff wrote:
and perhaps inviting the notion that companies could buy up batches of
volca Samples as merchandising giveaways or something, with a quite
silkscreen job on the facia.

right now it means a load of highly undesirable volca OK GOs ... unless you
got given one and punk it up yourself with a spraycan.

I wanted a Volca Sample I'd definitely grab one of the OK GO "clearance edition" as they are cost less than a boring old light grey one.
I like the idea of alternative fascia, I remember the MPC2000's had some way of doing it, but in the end I don't really care what the theme on the case of an instrument is.

I came across this: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/03/24/custom-skins-for-the-korg-volca-monotribe/

ShoNuff wrote:

my current 'crisis' with my volca theory is obviously you can't have loads of
power supplies, so i'm going to have to get a multi-prong thing - and then
the proper volca PSUs become redundant because i can use any old
1A+ PSU to connect to the splitter. :-/

Get on of the Boss pedal daisy-chained barreplug adaptors. The should work fine. Dunno if you can sell the KA35's, but considering they cost around $40-50au, running them at less than half-price on Gumtree pretty much someone will snap them up as it would be a bargain.

ShoNuff wrote:

oh and proliferation of midi cables, and one quad thru box exclusively
dedicated to volcas. - you see: the mini thing, soon becomes its own
spaghetti system. that's before working in anything else.

I've thought about the annoyance that is no MIDI THRU on the boxes, but they all have their own sequencers so just chain them using sync and use their internal sequencers.

But if you really want one sequencer to rule them all, then the Kenton THRU 5 would have to be the choice for addressing them all. If you have more than five Volcas then maybe the MIDI Solutions T8 or the Kenton THRU 12. The latter would be needed if you have the entire collection which is upto nine now.
Still, using MIDI means a spiderweb of cables and with the way that the Volcas are ported on the top face, stiff cables mean they are easily pulled over (annoys the hell out of me that does).
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh... i want to have a rest from the internal sequencers for a bit, see how i go. inputting notes in those has become frustrating - especially the Keys, which i think is best programmed from something else. and it has this interesting possibility with flux mode, where each step can be used as a mini sequence - i need to do MIDI out on that one, use it to store arpeggios or something like that... >MIDI out on all of them! on mini-TRS.
there seem to be a possibility that way of having 16 mini-sequences, per pattern, that you can re-arrange with Active-Step - so if those are all 'harmonious' and work together, and you record the MIDI ouput.. you could have a sort of freeform MIDI composition - i'm looking at those 1st three volcas more in that context now. absolutely no point in selling them anyway, and they take up no space, and each does have a couple of sounds i like
- but i cannot use those sequencers exclusively anymore at this point, doing aimless noodles, and currently their future is as 'midi slaves' (lol i'll have to meditate on the conceptual implications of that expression)

the Keys can receive Velocity but not record it - Bass records it; can give a little bit more life to what it does. Beats should be able to do 'kits', by
recording Stutter and Speed settings in patterns, and the Sample will be
quite good as a sound module for TR-626.

anyway: volcaFM#2 is on its way, and i've been ridiculously obsessed with running 2 of them - maybe even a 3rd, as they are appearing cheap 2nd hand. vaguely interested in getting a Kick, as a bOoom machine - i used to have an old vintage drum synthesizer, so there's room for a replacement for that. don't really need it, but at a bargain 2nd hand price, why not. especially if, yes, there's the korg-sync microcosm to mess around with.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick aside: here's a good idea for a volca stand that isn't too restrictive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta70VPGRD5Q
Darkside

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@megamarkd, those pin cables don't sit as tight as 3.5 mm eurorack ones, thus can jump out quite easyly.
Being newer generation volca, it's possible to chain patterns on the Modular and it adds quite alot to the game.
Regarding voltages, hehe, I can't answer that question unfortunately, as there's no accessible way I could measure those voltages, you know, those measuring devices do not talk or output braille, that I could read. If there are any accessible metering devices around, it's definitely not all that easy to get them from my location, as up here they don't offer sutch specific stuff.
Anyway, I hope to get to recording the Modular quite soon. At the moment it's hard to tell, what it will be, but definitely something interesting.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Darkside. I wasn't aware that you are vision impaired. My apologies if you have mentioned it in the past and I've missed it. I've had a little exposure to vision impaired services in the past while I was working for the Guide Dog Association a couple of decades ago, and was 'introduced' to what it's like to live with various vision impairments via glasses designed to emulate them. I also was given a cane training lesson and used an accessible book reader during that time which was basically an electronic magnifying glass connected to a computer and really only useful for certain impairments. It's a shame that a multimeter running on a computer doesn't exist as that could provide speech based reading. I understand to an extent how much of a hurdle you have leapt to use electronic musical instruments and I salute your' success.
Hopefully someone will soon post the operating voltages for the VModular somewhere soon, or my mate who was super keen to buy one does and he sticks his probes into the machine!
Darkside

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats OK.
Yes, I'm completely blind, but as long as I have synthesizers, I'm OK, because they are basically the only thing in this life, that keep me movin'. Choice of working with hardware is actually also down to this, as more serious software is even less accesible with a screen reader and keyboard - no mouse. Yes, nowadays they use Reaper with vst's, but I'm more of an oldschool dude, who likes to feel real things and as I'm hyperfocused on synthesizers anyway, it doesn't pose a problem to learn and understand menu structures and logical pages. So yeah, in some way I might even be at an advantage, where I just have to memorize turns and presses and don't need to chase parameters on small screens and panels and in those few situations, where I definitely need that sighted assistance, I have good friends.
I have also stated previously about my asperger's tendencies; no formal medical diagnosis, but knowledge from life itself has shown, that I quite well might be on the spectrum. I converse with local support group in here and find more similarities with aspies rather than neurotypical people and yes, not all blind are like me so it's not down to that.
Getting back to topic, I'm positively surprized, how Volca Modular can imitate and mimic so called "natural" instruments, as if synthesizers wer not - of course they are, in their own way as natural as anything else. But yes, this little beast of a micro modular synth can do all kind of acoustic-like timbres: wind and plucked instruments, percussions and who knows, what else, so let the exploration continue!
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man, no i hadn't picked up on that either.
trying to imagine how you deal with computer and messaging.
more: how you deal with tiny volca modular connections !
i would imagine you as defintely an analogue afficionado.
something like behringer neutron.

guys, i received volca FM #2 today. not sure if it's a good plan.
immaculate condition, super cheap, and the previous owner hadn't
even bothered to re-program it.

erm, have #3 on the way hehe - one of my questionnable ideas ...
(people are CHUCKING these things out)
Darkside

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, I'm definitly not an analog-only-snob, just a regular synth nerd, who without a joke, loves to read synthesizer manuals, sometimes just for fun or actually they are capable of giving me some sense of security at difficult times.
Yep, those Volca Modular connections are pretty tiny, but reading braille has been a benefitial experience for working with those. As I have stated before, Erica's Pico series are a giant dinosaur next to that.
Regarding computers, I use something called a screen reader, basically a program, that reads text out using a speech synthesizer and yes, I prefer formant ones and not those made of human voice recordings. The one screen reader I'm using is called non visual desktop access or NVDA, go and check it out at nvaccess.org, it's completely free, even open source.
That asperger's side of mine, one of places where it obviously shows itself is just that intense and strong interest and hyperfocus on synthesizers. I'm basically ready to talk about synths the whole day and beyond, but unfortunately not that many people want to join me in this discussion, some few do, but could be more of them.
So yeah, when wanting to buy another new synth, I always read the manual and more than once, watch youtube demos and read written reviews, but not just out of interest, but also with a deep intent to get a hint on the accessibility of the machine from the blindness perspective, so when unboxing the thing, I usually ask some sighted friend like: where is this knob or that button, it should be around here. So yeah, my sense of logic and a "good memory", as they use to say about sutch things, help me quite alot in this whole synth thing.
If there are any specific questions on how I do something, there's no need to be afraid - just ask and I'll try to explain, whenever I'm ready to write more. This last statement points to a fact, that I actually like talking waaay more than writing/typing, so if somebody wants to join me on skype, I'm all opened for that!
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to remember the name of the other micro modular system... ?
he has 2 main systems, and they provide all the modules. looks very
neat, like an audio lab kit, and not very expensive.
Darkside

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Huh, finally. Reply with quote

I have promised some recording via the Volca Modular, so here it is. A semi-generative track done using the Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Erica synths stuff and the Volca.
https://soundcloud.com/drxid/kolkudes-musta-augu-serval

The title of the track can be translated as "Teetering on the edge of a black hole", so yeah, spacy and dark it is.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting - Musique Concrète revival Smile
it's like something from the 60s.
nice cymbal sounds.

i'd like to hear lots more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: