Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

connect Korg Volca Keys with MIDI keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beybika

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: connect Korg Volca Keys with MIDI keyboard Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I would like to connect my Korg Volca Keys to Novation Launchkey 49 mk2, wich only has USB type B output.
I have already made some research, but I still have no idea how to do that, since I have found out that the converter cable "MIDI to USB B" does not exist. Can I even make this work without using DAW on my computer as a bridge between the two devices? Do you have any recommendations, please?
Thank you!
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some tools that will do this. You should be able to google for USB to MIDI converter and come up with a few.
slug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A MIDI keyboard without MIDI plug output? What stupidity is that? Razz
LM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
A MIDI keyboard without MIDI plug output? What stupidity is that? Razz

I know, right? Seems like most mid/entry level MIDI keyboards these days only have virtual USB MIDI ports. I remember when even cheap Casio keyboards used to have real MIDI ports.
jeftones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lower/middle tier midi devices have been losing din midi connection for a long time now. I assume most manufacturers are just expecting their midi controllers to be used with a computer. There are a few devices that will play midi host and allow you to route your midi through them into the volca. if you run a search for kenton midi to usb host, iconnect midi, or retrokits rk-005 you will find a place to purchase these type of devices.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeftones wrote:
lower/middle tier midi devices have been losing din midi connection for a long time now. I assume most manufacturers are just expecting their midi controllers to be used with a computer. There are a few devices that will play midi host and allow you to route your midi through them into the volca. if you run a search for kenton midi to usb host, iconnect midi, or retrokits rk-005 you will find a place to purchase these type of devices.

It's true, but it's also a bit crap. Oh well.
I had to bite the bullet and get a USB MIDI host some time ago and after going through all the options available and comparing the costs I settled on an iConnectivity MIO4. It does cost a little more than a simple host, but it's also only a few bucks more than a simple host and will have you sorted for future expansion of you rig. The company are a great bunch of people who are really into their product and are super keen to help out their customers. I can't say enough good things about them and their products.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: