Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to import a sf2 file???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FEB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: How to import a sf2 file??? Reply with quote

Hello,
I have a lot of sf2 files, essentially church organs.
I want to import it in my Kronos 2. OS 3.03
It loads in the user bank G and I obtain a lot of different sounds unusable. Of course, all that are parts of one program/combi.
I think I've missed something somewhere.
May someone explain me how to achieve this process correctly in order to play music, not to look on the net an answer that I don't find?
Thanks for your help.
Best regards,
François
Bas : Aria A 200
Amps : Marshall Valvestate 8240, Roland Cube 20 orange, Yamaha HS-7
Other : Roland VG8-EX, Band In A Box
François
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It loads in the user bank G and I obtain a lot of different sounds unusable. Of course, all that are parts of one program/combi.
I think I've missed something somewhere.

This can be normal. The quality of the end result totally depends on the quality of the SF2 file you loaded and how it's structured. There are two formats of SF2, Instrument and Bank Files. How they are structured also depends on the sound designer who built the file and if they knew what they were doing or not.

If it's an Instrument file that contains a single instrument, then the KRONOS will generate a single PROG sound. However, if the structure of the SF2 file exceeds the OSC (layers) abilities of the KRONOS, the KRONOS will compensate by generating more than one PROG sound, and a COMBI sound that combines all the PROG sounds into a structure that allows the overall sound to work.

This normally works very well providing the person who made the SF2 file in the first place knew what they were doing. Just because a SF2 works, doesn't mean it was built properly. SF2 format is rather sloppy and open ended, allowing people who don't really know what they are doing to assemble the data in a very sloppy manner that works as a SF2 and doesn't convert to other formats too well.

If the SF2 is a Bank file, then it does contain many Prog sounds and all of the above will happen per Prog sound inside that Bank file.

Personally speaking, if I were you and I really wanted to use these SF2 files going forward in my music, I'd load the SF2 files, and forget about the PROG and COMBI data generated. Remove any multisample you don't need, and assign those multisamples to PROG sounds manually, setting up the filters however you like.

It's more work but it's a one off job. You can save the data back to disk in KRONOS format.

Regards
Sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: