Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daft Punk sounds MS-20 tutorial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Daft Punk sounds MS-20 tutorial Reply with quote

Here's a video showing how to synthesize famous Daft Punk sounds. It's also a good way to learn a bit about the MS-20EX. Fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1cpim5EAqI

Happy 2019!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Thanks for the share.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video popped up in my youtube suggestions but I didn't watch it till you posted it.

Some tips:
When following along with the MS-20 tutorial, don't take the signal from the SIGNAL OUT jack... just use the LPF OUT jack and patch back into VCA IN.

For the 303 tutorial you'll probably want to use the MS-20EX engine since it has the squelchiest filter in the Kronos. In order to do the 'slide' steps (legato portamento) you'll want to patch EG3 into PORTAMENTO TIME. Put the PORTAMENTO parameter to at least 0.01 because if it's at zero portamento will be shut off no matter what. Set AMS intensity to about +3. Make sure EG3 is at full break/sustain with no release. Set the unit to Mono Legato in the Common > Basic/Vector > Program Basic tab. With this setup, EG3 will sustain between legato notes which is what's boosting your portamento time thus giving you true legato portamento. This behavior is akin to 'Fingered' Portamento in AL-1 and elsewhere.
btw Da Funk is at 111bpm
EDIT: while the MS-20 legato portamento trick is cool in it's own right, unfortunately it prevents the MS-20 from retriggering EG2 per note for the proper filter modulation that the bassline calls for. Oh well. You're fine with just putting portamento around 2.5 or so.
EDIT2: while rereading this I realized you could throw a 16th note tempo sync'd MG into the trigger-in of EG2 (after patching EG1 into the VCA Init Gain). But I think there is a tied note in there that'll make this patch sound funny. Again, you're probably better off just having constant glide at 2.5 instead of jumping through hoops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: