Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using the switches on the KROSS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
progkid2112

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Using the switches on the KROSS Reply with quote

Hello there,

I have a simple combi with strings and choir layered onto each other - except, sometimes I’d like just the strings sounding, and other times I’d like both the strings and the choir to sound. It seems like there’s a way to mute the choir sound via one of the switches, but I can’t figure out to do it.

Bonus question: is there any way to stop combis from cutting out after I switch to a different one? Such as, having the first combi still be in effect until I press a key, triggering the second combi.

Appreciate any help!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Let me start with the bonus question. The short answer is: no. Loading a new combi reassigns all hardware and software resources so that the previous combi is effectively swapped out and thus can not fade out neither.

The switches. Here it goes.

Take a copy of your choir program and edit it in the following way.
* Go to p-input/ctrl - Controllers. Choose 'Mod.: #80' for SW1
* Go to p-ams mixer - 1. Choose Smoothing as type. Choose SW 1: #80 as AMS-A
* Go to p-amp - Mod. For modulation - AMS, choose AMS-Mixer-1 and set the intensity to -99.
The AMS mixer smooths out the toggling of the switch with an attack an decay time that you can fine tune as you want on the p-ams mixer - 1 page. This AMS-mixer is used as modulation of the amp level. This makes that when the SW1 is pressed, the sound mutes. It may need some further tweaking (especially when you have other modulation sources as well for the amp level. Note that you may need to repeat steps 2 and 3 for the second oscillator, if your choir sound uses both oscillators. Try it! If it works fine, save your program (overwrite or a new one).

Import this program that can be muted with SW1 in your combi with the strings. In your combi:
* Go to C-input/ctrl - Controllers. Choose 'Mod.: #80' for SW1

That should do the trick. If your strings are affected by SW1, you may disable that in the C-MIDI filter 3 page for the string program. If you're still interested in the effect of SW1 on the strings, you can e.g. re-setup SW2.

Have fun.
lidserter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great example! I often assign an insert effect for this task, and set switch SW 80 or SW81 to fx dry/wet ams +99. For example a stereo compressor with all levels at minimum and dry/wet at 0. In this way the choir will sound normally bypassing the compressor (100% dry), and then when SW is engaged the muting compressor acts killing all the signal that goes thru it...
When lacking effects I would choose OpAmp method, if not it's easier to route the timbre ( or timbres!) to an unused IFX all inside the Combi world without touching the base programs. BUT I often need to sacrifice necessary effects so i would apply OpAmp method for those cases by now.

Cheers ,
JJ
progkid2112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clear explanation, thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: