Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos SE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galf2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg showed a low result. This SE everyone can himself to do Laughing

Gunnar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The last software update for the Kronos (3.0.3) has happened in July 2015, three and a half years ago.

The last update was 3.1.2, dated February 24th, 2017.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/424/1514/

Still a while ago, but not quite as bad Smile
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Quote:
The last software update for the Kronos (3.0.3) has happened in July 2015, three and a half years ago. And all they have to offer up to 2019 is some red paint?

Oh come on, something along those lines was to be expected and like so many others you sound very self righteous and entitled to something, which I doubt you are. None of us are. We bought the Kronos as is and maybe there's a last update or not.

History repeats itself and it reminds me of the same old whining from the Oasys community. We've seen some significant updates with the Kronos and it's already more than we could hope for.

Just my two cents...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I am reading. Special Edition is a limited release. Just like the Kronos Gold.

If correct, there will only be ' X' amount of SE's made.

Korg will continue to sell the current Kronos.

There you have it for 2019.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:

History repeats itself and it reminds me of the same old whining from the Oasys community. We've seen some significant updates with the Kronos and it's already more than we could hope for.

Just my two cents...

I'm not saying its right or wrong or an entitlement, but in the Digital Age, I think that there is a lot more expectation that highly digital products will continue to be developed over the their full lifecycle. I think it's especially true for higher end/flagship products. Regular updates have become more the norm than the exception.

I have several modular musical instruments that I can barely keep up with the firmware updates, they are so frequent. And they aren't just bug fixes either but new functionality.

This benefits the consumer, but it also benefits the company by driving new sales without the risks associated with a brand new product. Promotes customer loyalty; reduces buyer remorse, etc.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Kronos SE teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_idBuKirk
leonh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colour and that is it still the best workstation.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
Quote:
The last software update for the Kronos (3.0.3) has happened in July 2015, three and a half years ago. And all they have to offer up to 2019 is some red paint?

Oh come on, something along those lines was to be expected and like so many others you sound very self righteous and entitled to something, which I doubt you are. None of us are. We bought the Kronos as is and maybe there's a last update or not.

Just my two cents...

You seem to misunderstand my point.
I don't expect more Kronos for the original price. That would be weird indeed.
I am ready to pay for an upgrade, or for proper 64bit VSTi integration, or for a successor.

But I also don't think that Korg should completely fall asleep with the Kronos. It is not as up to date as it was 8 years ago, with some weaknesses never adressed.

So Korg should not offer years of ever new Volca variations instead IMO, or reduce updates to paint jobs for 4 years or more. They simply have become lazy with their top gear, and instead overly busy with their musical toys. And yes, I'm definitely critical about that.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
Quote:

. We've seen some significant updates with the Kronos and it's already more than we could hope for.

Just my two cents...

It’s not more than I could hope for. I’ve got change for your two cents.

According to Sonic State, the prices are $3099.99, 3499.99, and 3799.99.

Will there be a Kronos SE LE 88?

For all those who agonized over whether to wait until seeing what Korg has ar NAMM 2019, the question is: Do you like red and do you like their Italian Grand?

Will the prices of the old ones go down?
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Quote:
I'm not saying its right or wrong or an entitlement, but in the Digital Age, I think that there is a lot more expectation that highly digital products will continue to be developed over the their full lifecycle.

But here's the thing, Kronos has come to an end with its lifecycle! There will only be minor support for another year, probably a last firmware update and that's it. And honestly, what else is there to expect? The long anticipated sequencer update? Come on!

Quote:
I think it's especially true for higher end/flagship products. Regular updates have become more the norm than the exception.

Yeah right, are you speaking of products like Montage, Fantom FA, Akai MPC X... or which products exactly do you mean? But if those are the ones then I have to tell you that the Kronos is a lot older than these three and probably initiated the expectation for updates that customers (guys like you) nowadays seem to profess.

Quote:
I have several modular musical instruments that I can barely keep up with the firmware updates, they are so frequent. And they aren't just bug fixes either but new functionality.

See above! And I bet these modular systems are nowhere near as old as Kronos, which is 8 years now and as you can bet that's a lot of time for an electronic musical instrument in an ever faster getting digital age.

Quote:
This benefits the consumer, but it also benefits the company by driving new sales without the risks associated with a brand new product. Promotes customer loyalty; reduces buyer remorse, etc.

As said before, this is why we will probably see a last update and that's it. But even without, and here comes the funny part, Kronos remains the best keyboard out there by a mile, imho. So, there's really no need to feel remorse about anything, if you ask me.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimknopf wrote:
Quote:
You seem to misunderstand my point.
I don't expect more Kronos for the original price. That would be weird indeed.
I am ready to pay for an upgrade, or for proper 64bit VSTi integration, or for a successor.

Sorry, your sarcastic attitude toward the Kronos SE smelled of frustration with Kronos in general. And even though I can understand your anger, I don't feel negative about this development in any way, not anymore. I came to understand that we won't see any significant changes during this decade in the musical instrument sector anymore, e.g. 64 bit OS. And as I said before we will probably see a Kronos successor next year. Actually, this so called laziness, as you like to put it, seems to be an indicator that Korg has already moved on and is hopefully developing something new, imho.

ITguy54 wrote:

Quote:
It’s not more than I could hope for. I’ve got change for your two cents.

Keep your change. I don't need it. If you're dissatisfied with this development then Kronos is obviously not for you.

Quote:
According to Sonic State, the prices are $3099.99, 3499.99, and 3799.99. Will the prices of the old ones go down?

I wouldn't hold my breath and move on. Maybe a Montage will do?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:

But here's the thing, Kronos has come to an end with its lifecycle!

What are you basing that on? Korg hasn't announced this. When I read the tea leaves, I now see the opposite. They've just announced a new product in this line. It's pretty clearly targeted at new customers, who might be comparison shopping Yamaha, Nord, etc. offerings. I actually think it would be pretty uncool to do that knowing they are going to nix the whole product line in 6-12 months. To me, the SE indicates the Kronos line is going to live on for a while.

marc1 wrote:

Yeah right, are you speaking of products like Montage, Fantom FA, Akai MPC X... or which products exactly do you mean? But if those are the ones then I have to tell you that the Kronos is a lot older than these three and probably initiated the expectation for updates that customers (guys like you) nowadays seem to profess.

Guys like me? I'm not sure you know me that well. I assure you, I'm not like anyone else. Cool

Personally, I'm happy with my Kronos and will feel like I got my money's worth if they never do another update. That said I'd be delighted and grateful if they did another free firmware update. And if they did a paid firmware upgrade, I'd be very likely to buy it assuming I felt the benefits it brought to the table were in line with the price tag.
xp50player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m personally fine with being safe from GAS for another year, and thankful to Korg for whatever update/upgrade options they bestow on us with no obligation whatsoever to do so.
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want improved amp modeling with your Kronos you need to look elsewhere. If you have a DAW, Helix native. With hardware there are tons of choices out there. A gently used Axe FX II is pretty reasonable these days. I've been playing with my Axe and the synths. These boxes give a whole new dimension to my sounds. I can blend the CX organ with a 5150 amp or run EPs thru a stack of Dual Showmans. FX is much more advanced than the Kronos offers. All this can be clocked and sent down spdif or USB into the DAW.

Korg continuing to repackage Kronos tells me something new is likely in the works.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Quote:
What are you basing that on? Korg hasn't announced this. When I read the tea leaves, I now see the opposite. They've just announced a new product in this line.

Except for a new colour, new piano library and a few Kapro sounds/samples which will probably be available for all other Kronos users as well, this is not a new product at all. Where do you get this idea from? The Kronos SE doesn't offer any technical improvements over its predecessors.And after all those iterations of Kronos over the years (original Kronos, Kronos X, Kronos 2, Kronos LS, and now Kronos SE) it's highly unlikely that they will keep it alive for another decade or even just a few years, imho.

Quote:
To me, the SE indicates the Kronos line is going to live on for a while.

Of course, that's always possible. But to me it indicates rather that Kronos sales have significantly dropped and that they want to bridge the time (probably a year or two) till they're ready to launch a new product.

Quote:
It's pretty clearly targeted at new customers

Absolutely, people who are new to Kronos in general, I would guess.

Quote:
Guys like me? I'm not sure you know me that well. I assure you, I'm not like anyone else.

Sorry! Of course you are not, just like everybody else! LOL
But honestly, this forum is full of people who like to complain and who seem to be constantly dissatisfied with Kronos and things in general and who keep asking for things nobody promised them.

Quote:
Personally, I'm happy with my Kronos and will feel like I got my money's worth if they never do another update. That said I'd be delighted and grateful if they did another free firmware update. And if they did a paid firmware upgrade, I'd be very likely to buy it assuming I felt the benefits it brought to the table were in line with the price tag.

+1
And that's exactly the way I feel. If they do another update, great. If they don't, so what? Kronos remains a fantastic musical Instrument!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: