Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos SE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galf2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yet one update OS: 32 Free Users Bank and Piano Roll and then, though the grass doesn't grow Smile
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
marc1 wrote:

But here's the thing, Kronos has come to an end with its lifecycle!

What are you basing that on? Korg hasn't announced this. When I read the tea leaves, I now see the opposite. They've just announced a new product in this line. It's pretty clearly targeted at new customers, who might be comparison shopping Yamaha, Nord, etc. offerings. I actually think it would be pretty uncool to do that knowing they are going to nix the whole product line in 6-12 months. To me, the SE indicates the Kronos line is going to live on for a while.

I see the exact opposite of you. You think it would be uncool to put a few bells and whistles on an old product if they were going to ditch it in a year? Hardly. It has happened many times before. Look at the Yamaha DX product cycle. As long as it was selling well, they just kept making them. If they are working on something new AND the product sales are peaking or slowing, then it makes perfect sense to gussy it up to keep it alive a little while longer. Especially when the new features don’t cost them anything: new paint job, already existing piano samples from the Grandstage, and a third party sample set. If that doesn’t do the trick, look for prices to drop.

Look at the automotive world right now. It’s common knowledge that a new mid engine Corvette is only a few months away from being revealed. But to keep interest alive in the current model, they offered the ZR1.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:

Keep your change. I don't need it. If you're dissatisfied with this development then Kronos is obviously not for you.

Quote:
According to Sonic State, the prices are $3099.99, 3499.99, and 3799.99. Will the prices of the old ones go down?

I wouldn't hold my breath and move on. Maybe a Montage will do?

Now who’s being sarcastic? The Kronos is a great instrument. I’m just not excited about this additional model, like all you Kronosphiles. I was hoping for something new. This isn’t new. It’s just a new paint job with a few add ons.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
Quote:
I see the exact opposite of you. You think it would be uncool to put a few bells and whistles on an old product if they were going to ditch it in a year? Hardly. It has happened many times before. Look at the Yamaha DX product cycle. As long as it was selling well, they just kept making them. If they are working on something new AND the product sales are peaking or slowing, then it makes perfect sense to gussy it up to keep it alive a little while longer. Especially when the new features don’t cost them anything: new paint job, already existing piano samples from the Grandstage, and a third party sample set. If that doesn’t do the trick, look for prices to drop.

+1
And that's exactly my sentiment, thank you.

Kronos stays on top of the game for another year, but unlike many other people I don't feel frustrated about this, not at all. I wonder what people do with this instrument other than lamenting its shortcomings, seriously.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
Quote:
Now who’s being sarcastic?

Well, I don't know, maybe you can tell me? Wink No, just kidding!

Quote:
The Kronos is a great instrument.

Right.

Quote:
I’m just not excited about this additional model, like all you Kronosphiles.

Where (the h...) did you get the impression that anyone here's excited about the Kronos SE? I think most Kronos owners understand that it doesn't add anything substantially new.

Quote:
I was hoping for something new. This isn’t new. It’s just a new paint job with a few add ons.

Unfortunately this is the case but as I said before, if you don't like Kronos there are still other options (Montage ring a bell?)
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:

You think it would be uncool to put a few bells and whistles on an old product if they were going to ditch it in a year?

Yes.

If I were a new customer that bought the SE today - something which will be likely be featured as a new product with retailers even though you and I know its a paint job + 2 EXs - and then they dropped the whole Kronos line inside of a year and replaced it with a vastly superior tech, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not saying you're wrong, nor am I really affected either way here as a happy, existing K owner. But if I was in a situation that played out like the above, it would give me pause about buying additional products from Korg.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
Kronos stays on top of the game for another year, but unlike many other people I don't feel frustrated about this, not at all. I wonder what people do with this instrument other than lamenting its shortcomings, seriously.

You still don't get the real and valid point of Korg frustration:

I have been using the Kronos since it appeared (nearly 8 years now), and it has been my main and favorite synth ever since. I have defended it countless times against unfounded criticism, and I surely don't need a lesson from anyone, concerning making full use of that great instrument.

That said, from my view that can NOT, in any possible way, excuse how a bunch of well known critical points in the Kronos have not been adressed in ANY positive way, since nearly 4 years now, by Korg, instead wasting a lot of resources on bonsai toy gear year by year. That's just lame and sleepy concerning their flagships from my view, and nothing a well paying customer ( I have very conscously paid a lot of money for Korg Kronos libraries, to support the project, beyond really needing every single one of them) should welcome or accept.

The really undiginfied sellout of the Yamaha Motif, without providing a successor worth calling that name, is quite the opposite of a positive example for great company behavior to me.

To make it crystal clear: if Korg goes on behaving like that, and doesn't deliver anything for their so called flagship within years (either paid upgrade or successor), I will just spend my money on alternatives I like, and Korg will see none of that, when they finally wake up too late, after being flagship absent for too long. Simple as that.

And selling a red paint job edition is just nothing but pathetic in my eyes, just like adding an Electribe on top of a not working, unfixed detuned Prologue at some point in time: this both is just childish gimmick nonsense without any substance IMO.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Quote:
I have been using the Kronos since it appeared (nearly 8 years now), and it has been my main and favorite synth ever since.

Good for you.

Quote:
I have defended it countless times against unfounded criticism, and I surely don't need a lesson from anyone

Are you sure about that? Wink No, just kidding (once again)!

Quote:
That said, from my view that can NOT, in any possible way, excuse how a bunch of well known critical points in the Kronos have not been adressed in ANY positive way, since nearly 4 years now, by Korg, instead wasting a lot of resources on bonsai toy gear year by year. That's just lame and sleepy concerning their flagships from my view, and nothing a well paying customer ( I have very conscously paid a lot of money for Korg Kronos libraries, to support the project, beyond really needing every single one of them) should welcome or accept.

And this sounds exactly like entitlement to me: "I paid Korg a bunch of money and now they have to do this and that for me in order to keep me happy." Oh boy!!!

Quote:
To make it crystal clear: if Korg goes on behaving like that, and doesn't deliver anything for their so called flagship within years, I will just spend my money on alternatives I like, and Korg will see none of that, when they finally wake up, after being flagship absent for too long. Simple as that.

Entitlement at its best. Then I also can only suggest to move on and consider another keyboard. After such statements, if I was Korg I would drop any plans for the release of another update. You guys simply don't deserve it.
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
I wonder what people do with this instrument other than lamenting its shortcomings, seriously.

For some people flagship synthesizers are very expensive toys and after a while they get bored. The industry moves on but their flagship seems stale. There is nothing to discuss nothing to argue. Eventually what was the greatest thing ever, the flagship, is now doomed to failure by lazy, greedy companies cashing in on low cost products. First Roland & Yamaha, now Korg. Bravo.

The Kronos is just as bad ass as it was the last OS update. Something new is likely coming and assuming it exceeds the expectations of their most critical users, it's game on!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
...you guys simply don't deserve it.

Now that's what I would call a really weird and silly form of entitlement - in sharp contrast to legitimate concerns of long term Kronos users.

I'm really sorry I don't deserve a paid Kronos update or successor, me unworthy Korg servant slipping on my knees!

Laughing
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm really sorry I don't deserve a paid Kronos update or successor, me unworthy Korg servant robbing on my knees!

I meant the (probably) last Kronos firmware update. Whatever, this is getting tiresome.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc, seriously, I don't want to annoy you.

I'm still more than satisified with about 80% of what the Kronos does, after all these years. And in Dan Phillips times, Korg's update politics for the Kronos have belonged to the most excellent experiences I have ever made, with any keyboard.

I just fail to see a reason, why with all the welcome progress, which music technology has made since, the not so great and in part outdated 20% or whatever of the Kronos aren't adressed in ANY well done, paid(!) form. Korg is missing a big opportunity to keep Kronos customer bonds alive here from my view, since nearly 4 years now, and it would have been not too hard for them to keep the project alive and kicking, even with limited resources put into it.

From my view the present Korg management just doesn't seem to set the priorities right for long term success. They seem to be aiming at fast cheap music toy selling, which may work well short term, but does not keep faithful long term customers.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last OS build 3.1.2 in 2017 I think if I remember rightly, no firmware updates for some time, etc. me thinks this is a dead duck coming lol. Any hoysin sauce anyone?

Now, here's a question. They're saying that the italian Grand is from the grandstage, oif so, in order for that to be part of the kronos, it'd ideally be an EXS library? if so, Wouldn't it be wise for korg to "RELEASE IT?" as this means by technicality alone, in order for this product to be made available to the SE model, different restore media for the SE as it contains sample media and program changes, etc. therefore would this not constitute a form of different restore media?

Technically speaking as has been pointed out, in order for customers who already own a kronos 2 series, just to get the benefit of an italian grand, etc that would mean purchasing a kronos SE. flawed argument and a dangerous move by korg here. So, It would be wise for Korg to do us a favour that as soon as this "SE" model hits the stores, the italian grand should be released to us kronos 2 owners either free or a reasonable priced upgrade depending on purchase date of your kronos. As a business model this would be a wise move, failing to do this would cause a form of despondency amongst korg owners who by the way, we are all technically investors by purchase of equipment like this, therefor as customers, we have a right to voice our opinions with regards how things are done. OK we're not active shareholders in Korg, though it would be worth stocks and shares in Korg Inc to maybe invest and in doing so, shape the future a bit.

Please excuse this comment....

Throughout the world, Business is what drives progression. In order for business to drive progression, developers, manufacturers and designers solve problems in global markets, to satisfy customer demands or needs in a particular environment. In this case, Music performance and production. When the first synthesizer came out, it wasn't exactly intended as a musical instrument, Think from Leon Theremin's background in Electronic Engineering for Radio Communications, The theremin came as a bit of an interest, which over time became a world sensation for the more "unique" customers lol. Today, we have synthesizers, workstation synths, production systems, digital mixers, recording suites, computers, you name it, solving in different ways, what customers want. The problem we face here is this. I'm going to use a british expression here... "They've taken their eye off the ball." Go back to when korg produced their various workstations like the M1, 01W, Wavestation, Trinity, etc. look at the lifespan of those instruments and their evolution. The problem with evolution of some instruments is losing the heart of the original instruments. Going to the Kronos back in 2011 after the death of the Oasys workstation, The kronos was looked upon as a "Game changer", At the time, yes it was exactly that, it expanded upon the Oasys, changed form factor, specification of the board and storage media used, removed the CDRW drive, etc, so the evolution from Oasys to Kronos was more, transplant and modification. To be logical here, let's examine the use of DVD media for restoration of a kronos. Korg expects you to purchase a USB DVDRW drive. At the time there was a recommendation for a particular supported drive, but this lead to issues due to discontinuation of the drive, meaning forum posts asking for advice on suitable DVDRW drives to read the restore volumes and rebuild a kronos if the worst happened. So, the internal DVD/CDRW drive from the Oasys could have been integrated into the kronos workstations, but it wasn't. that ws an afterthought. Since 2011, there have been a number of Kronos builds... Kronos, Kronos X, Kronos 2, Kronos 2 Platinum (silver), Kronos 2 Gold, Kronos LS and now the Kronos SE, known as the Kronos 2 SE. Examining the Kronos 2 range, other than the LS88 being a kronos 2 LS88 having a paint job and a keybed action change, other than that, the Kronos 2 range have the exact same mainboard, etc same software, etc. therefore, this design principle since 2015 is flawed by lack of evolution. Why entice customers with a Red version, call it an SE, which in itself is a bit of a suspect move as some may understand that the term "SE" meaning special edition, would be argued like in software where the same term is applied, is a bit watered down, isn't true in this case, it's just because of the colour change and 2 libraries installed. Big deal, nothing to see here....

The point I wish to make is this. Korg, you need to listen to us, you need to listen to kronos owners, whether professionals, studio guys, sound designers, session musicians, composers, even those who want to buy from you and are "on the fence" You need to understand that not only on this board but many others besides, owners and newcomers are voicing opinions. YOU ARE NOT LISTENING. Time to change this for the better. We, who purchase your products, keep your business alive, without us as customers, your company grows weak, loses money and dies a painful company death because it hasn't taken on customers needs and expectations. You need to think harder and more strategically about what your products mean to customers. I for one am fed up of the lack of OS update support, fixes which need attention not being resolved, etc. I have spent good money on equipment I expect to last me a good amount of time, it is your company duty under the terms "social responsibility" to grasp our needs as customers, owners, investors in your products, to solve these issues head on, not bury heads in the sand and just jazz up another kronos.

I'd like to ask a viable question here. Compared to the number of Kronos 2 standard finish and LS models, How many of the platinum and Gold models did you sell? I doubt as many. that means assembling products with ordered body panel finishes, etc at extra cost. We as customers dealing with retailers see the difference in price between a Kronos 2 88 and a kronos 2 88 platinum or gold as BLOOMIN HIGH!
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's to say Korg is not going to release the Kronos Emerald edition with some nice green paint job and another selection of sounds next year? This can go on for a while. I wouldn't get into heated debates over this subject.

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to lie, I was really disappointed by this release. I have built my whole studio around my Kronos, but it's beginning to show its age. From a hardware perspective, it's really not much more powerful than the OASYS, which is 14 years old.

I'm under no allusions that Korg are obligated to provide us with new products or upgrades. However, I'm also not obligated to keep buying their products. I have no interest in toy synths (Volcas, Minilogues). I have tried them and they did nothing for me.

If that's their business strategy, then fine. It's not a strategy that works for me. But I do wonder what Dan and co have been working on for the past few years - they must have something in the pipeline. My worry is it might be too little, too late.

If they're not going to release new models, the least they could do is ensure parts are readily available for their existing flagship so that existing users can keep them going.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: