Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos SE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
If I remember rigth, 2017 saw no Korg OS update, but just a firmware update for some compatibility reasons. The last real Kronos update with updated functionality was from mid 2015, if I remember right.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3.1.2 OS was released in Feb 2017. 3.0.3 OS was back in July of 2015. 3.0.4 sometime after and 3.1.0 was Dec 2016 and added quick split function but it had bugs so it was replaced with 3.1.2. There were a couple sub system firmware revisions as well.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
If I remember rigth, 2017 saw no Korg OS update, but just a firmware update for some compatibility reasons. The last real Kronos update with updated functionality was from mid 2015, if I remember right.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3.1.2 OS was released in Feb 2017. 3.0.3 OS was back in July of 2015. 3.0.4 sometime after and 3.1.0 was Dec 2016 and added quick split function but it had bugs so it was replaced with 3.1.2. There were a couple sub system firmware revisions as well.

I’m a computer programmer working on an old system that’s been around for over 30 years. Over a decade ago, the higher-ups decided that it needed to be replaced with fancy new technology. During the many years that occurred during the development of the newer system, the older system I work on went into a “brownout” mode, where nothing new was developed. They figured that it was a waste of time and money to continue to develop a system that was going away. Any changes or new features that came up were saved for the new system. Well the new system failed miserably. The question is this: is the Kronos 2 in “brownout mode”, because Korg is focusing on something newer and more powerful?
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never seen so many secondhand Kronos’s for sale on eBay !

The Kronos se is very expensive !

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCFREE wrote:

Every now and then, I check eBay for Kronos

Quite an assortment offered.

90 new K's. 60 from US dealers. Rest are Japan offers , mostly.

For used, I see 44 offers here in the US. 20 outside US, mostly Japan

We have 1 US dealer who has many ads, new and used. They are a
good % of the total US ads. 104 total US ads for Kronos.

I think this is more than usual. Its difficult to nail down in that
the 1 dealer carries quite a bit of Kronos inventory , at least based
on their many ads/offers.

If I was a private seller, I would avoid eBay due to the heavy traffic
or many competing ads. This 1 dealer offers a 45 day guaranty as
an incentive.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

an incentive.

It makes me wonder why there are so many on EBay. I can understand why people are trying to sell an Oasys. Most of those people are trying to get enough money to cover the cost of a new Kronos.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post.

Last edited by blazerunner on Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I hate the most about every Namm is that no matter what gets released there's always that one guy that has to complain about it even if they had no interests at all in said product.

I mean you've got people complaining about the 32 bit system, the last update and whatever else I mean sheesh. Rolling Eyes

The Kronos SE is just a cool look with some sound updates for people that want to purchase a Kronos in 2019. Obviously if Korg wasn't making money selling them they wouldn't bother. This isn't meant to make you sell your existing one and go out and buy a totally new one just to get it in red with some new piano patches but some of you are complaining like it is.

Personally I think the Kronos is way beyond what the expectations of a Workstation/Keyboard can be. I can't imagine what Korg could do to truly make the Kronos better than it already is except add more stock sounds to it.

It's a masterpiece and for it to have the decade long run it has and still be the champion that says it all right there. I mean it's an INSTRUMENT not an iPhone. How many updates do you need to a Stratocaster or a flute? How many updates does a Steinway need or a harmonica? It is what it's supposed to be it's an amazing workstation Keyboard.

It takes years and I mean years to learn the Kronos inside and out it's a deep keyboard with a lot of functions and features. I could only think of the next gen Korg Flagship being more of the same but streamlined better.

Even if there was a new Flagship the Kronos is still so powerful it would be hard to knock off the mountain. To me as long as Korg keeps making new downloadable sounds for it and keeping the engines fresh the Kronos can live forever. I guess I'm more focused on playing the actual instrument than worrying about keeping up with the Jonses when they don't even live in the same neighborhood as me.

"Please Korg give us a new Flagship" okay what would you want the new Flagship to be?

Like what could you possibly add to a Keyboard where they already thought of everything? The Kronos is so good people have to complain about updates it doesn't need and an operating system it has no use for. Next they'll be like "I want the Keyboard to have voice commands like Alexa"...."Kronos play a C Major". Actually I take that back that might be a pretty cool feature.

Anyway just wanted to chime in I hate seeing people being so picky about a great instrument.

The Montage is nice but not as nice as the Kronos. It had a weird menu system, the gimmick of the blue glowing knob and even Yamaha's dedicated Motif owners wouldn't upgrade to it and they wanted a new Motif for the longest.

Roland HAD the Jupiter 80... nuff said about that. Their flagship isn't even a workstation keyboard.

At this point I honestly think people expecting more from a Workstation Keyboard should just jump over into the VST bandwagon. Get yourself a controller and buy the same programs every other VST user owns. Only to find out that software is not all it's cracked up to be.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
GregC wrote:
PCFREE wrote:

an incentive.

It makes me wonder why there are so many on EBay. I can understand why people are trying to sell an Oasys. Most of those people are trying to get enough money to cover the cost of a new Kronos.

The keyboard has been around a long time. Some are older versions some newer versions some of those listings are just for accessories titled under "Korg Kronos" , some are bundled packages, etc. etc. I find the same volume of results when searching for most any popular keyboard. If they sold a lot there's usually a lot of listings.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner-

You hit the nail on the head and took the words right out of my mouth (as I’ve always thought)-

“Personally I think the Kronos is way beyond what the expectations of a Workstation/Keyboard can be. I can't imagine what Korg could do to truly make the Kronos better than it already is except add more stock sounds to it.”

Not to limit new possibilities, of course, but the Kronos is still among the top of the heap. Have any of us ‘mastered’ her, yet?? There is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH to be discovered yet underneath the hood (creatively speaking)!
lidserter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both sides. The Kronos is now raw power and an untamed beast of sound with infinite possibilities. Not contender known. However it would be GREAT to be able to load and handle vsts on it, huge sample libraries we already own with the reliability of a dedicated workstation and not a computer with wi-fi antivirus bizarre services working on background and other distractions. I used to integrate hardware and software but somehow always got back to only hardware for practical reasons.
I believe the future is there, a Kronos with vst handling capabilities, many slots and bays for user investment in ram and ssd's. I also believe that it's almost at hand: suggested improvements like 64bit operation would unlock double ram i.e.

Regards,
JJ
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
It's a masterpiece ...

We all agree that there is no direct equivalent to the Kronos.
However to call it a masterpiece is definitely an overstatement.
Kronos leaves a lot to be desired.
As much as I love my Kronos, I have nearly the same amount of frustration.
Kronos have no adequate CPU support.
People who do live performances probably will not be effected, but the rest have to make compromises, scratch their heads how to squeeze every bit of "juice" out of Kronos.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1-

Again, TRUE, the Kronos isn’t flat-out EVERYTHING (nothing ever can be, or is necessarily suppposed to be), but the Kronos packs a WHOLE big FAT punch and gets you a VERY, very far way down the road [the way I see it]. *A* *LOT* gets done when digging deep into its electronic, mechanical soul, if you will. The Kronos is ONLY the tool, and its potential is ONLY in US! US! Let’s tap into our potential!

It would be interesting to see what could become of it with an unlimited r&d income scource, though! Let’s pool our $$ together-lol.

Then, profit sharing . . .

...yeah, right; no fault in dreaming, though!
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what special color Kronos will come in for NAMM 2020? Maybe dysentery green with the addition of new zither and swarmandal sample libraries.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
blazerunner wrote:
It's a masterpiece ...

We all agree that there is no direct equivalent to the Kronos.
However to call it a masterpiece is definitely an overstatement.
Kronos leaves a lot to be desired.
As much as I love my Kronos, I have nearly the same amount of frustration.
Kronos have no adequate CPU support.
People who do live performances probably will not be effected, but the rest have to make compromises, scratch their heads how to squeeze every bit of "juice" out of Kronos.

I second your comment here.

I love my two machines to bits, they provide nearly all of the functionality I need, but workflow wise due to the limitations of the OS, really does cause some limitations in certain areas as discussed. anyway, enough from me on this, I'm chiming out on this thread for a while.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of tightening up a few functions/fixes, adding some tweaks here and there, where were you all expecting Korg to take the Kronos?

I mean what exactly were you all expecting in a new flagship workstation which Kronos doesn't have or can't do?

Expectations are funny like that; you never know you needed something until you actually see it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: