Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XVP20 Volume and Expression Pedal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaston

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: XVP20 Volume and Expression Pedal Reply with quote

I'm considering purchasing an XVP20 pedal and am unfamiliar with the "expression" application. What does "expression" mean? How do I connect it to my Kronos 88. I mean I'll be connecting the stereo outputs to the pedal but how do I connect the expression feature to my Kronos and how does that effect my sound? Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 3 foot control inserts on kronos rear side.
1-Sustain(damper.
2-Foot switch.
3-Pedal.

Pedal insert is for expression pedal.
In Global mode Basics, in the “Controller” tab page, you can assign what Expression pedal will do.
It can do whatever function is on the Pedal assignment list.
Also if set to foot pedal CC#04, it can do multiple functions simultaneously, via AMS assignments in individual programs.
Global pedal settings will work the same in all programs, combis and songs,
with exception to global setting “CC#04” which lets you assign the function/s via AMS per each program independently. AMS route can come with complications and will take time to sift though all AMS options to find where any complication or conflict would be.

Page 1113 Parameter guide lists all the global pedal functions below.

~~~~~~~~Excerpt parameter guide~~~~~~~
Foot Pedal Assignments
You can connect a pedal (such as the optional Korg XVP-10 or EXP-2) to the rear-panel ASSIGNABLE PEDAL input, and then use it to control a wide variety of functions, as described below.
This setting is made for the entire KRONOS, on the Global P2–1 Controller page.
A note on MIDI CCs
Some of the assignments include MIDI CCs, which are transmitted whenever the knob is moved. Note that the MIDI CCs can still be received even if they are not assigned to a physical controller.
RT Knobs 5-8 and SW1/2 are special cases, since these can themselves be assigned to different MIDI CCs. If the footswitch is assigned to duplicate these controls, it will also use their CC assignments.
List of Foot Pedal assignments Off
This setting disables the pedal.
Master Volume
This controls the overall volume, and transmits the Universal System Exclusive Master Volume message [F0H, 7FH, nn, 04, 01, vv, mm, F7H]. You can use this to adjust the volumes of all Tracks or Timbres at the same time, while preserving their relative balance.
For more information, see the diagram under “Master Volume Slider” on page 24.
Foot Pedal (CC#04)
You can use this general-purpose controller as an AMS or Dmod source. Note that you’ll also need to assign Foot Pedal (CC#04) to control the desired parameter within the Program or Effect.
Portamento Time (CC#05)
Controls the speed at which portamento will change the pitch.
Volume (CC#07)
Control the volume of a Program, Combination, or of a MIDI track in Sequencer modes.
Post IFX Pan (CC#0Cool
Control the pan after passing through the Insert Effect.
Pan (CC#10)
Control the pan of a Program, of a timbre in a Combination, or of a MIDI track in Sequencer modes.
Expression (CC#11)
Expression is a secondary volume control, which you can use to scale level without affecting the main volume settings or CC#7 values. For more information, see “Expression (CC#11)” on page 1110.
FX Control 1 & 2 (CC#s12 & 13)
These assignments are intended for Effect Dynamic Modulation (Dmod). Note that you’ll also need to assign FX Control 1 or 2 to control the desired parameter within the Effect.
MFX Send 1 & 2 (CC#s 93 & 91)
These control the send levels to Master Effects 1 and 2, respectively.
CC#s 93 and 91 actually control send levels in two different places: the sends directly from the Program OSC or EXi, and the send levels of the last Insert Effect in the chain which matches the CC’s MIDI channel.
JS+Y (CC#01)
This duplicates the function of JS+Y. Whatever JS+Y is assigned to control, the pedal will control as well.
JS–Y (CC#02)
This duplicates the function of JS–Y. Whatever JS–Y is assigned to control, the pedal will control as well.
Ribbon (CC#16)
This duplicates the function of the ribbon controller. Whatever the ribbon is assigned to control, the pedal will control as well.
Value Slider (CC#1Cool
Pedal operation will control the effect of the VALUE slider.
RT Knob 1–8
This duplicates the function of the selected REAL TIME KNOB. Whatever the knob is assigned to control, the pedal will control as well.
KARMA RTC Slider1–8
This duplicates the function of the selected KARMA SLIDER. Whatever the slider is assigned to control, the pedal will control as well.
Gaston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a volume pedal and MORE. Thanks so much, I'll print this page...
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth knowing that the expression pedal CC# messages are passed on, by standard MIDI and USB MIDI, to other synths/instruments connected to the Kronos, so normally by default their volume, or whatever else is assigned to expression pedal CC#, can be altered as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: