Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Kronos successor - the good news
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
JPROBERTLA wrote:
That may all be true, but Korg and the new president can't be oblivious to the success of Kronos and the potential success of a replacement. They make a lot more profit selling a flagship workstation than they do a Volca. Not to mention the brand prestige.

How successful has Kronos been? As in - how many units sold? I'm not looking for speculation on that - I'm curious if anyone has the stats.

I'd disagree that Kronos is more economically successful for Korg than Volca. I've no evidence on Volca success - but given microKorg sold - what - 400,000 units? - I'd imagine Volca's have sold in their hundreds of thousands too. Surely a license to print money for Korg?

That was the point I tried to make. The smaller devices, like a Volca, sell in large volume.

The marketplace or potential unit sales of a Volca is exponentially greater than a Kronos, or really, greater, than any +$2500 keyboard.

IOW, lots of folks playing with EDM or whatever a Volca owner gets into.
Cost of unit sale to Korg is on the low side, is my guess. Korg knows exactly what they are doing in this space. Moving many small boxes.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I don't understand the idea that just because Korg comes out with a new synth, people will have to immediately run out and buy it. Is the Kronos that bad that everyone is hungering for a replacement? Sure, check the new guy out and see what it offers, but coughing up 4 grand for a new keyboard just because it's new simply doesn't make sense.

I have and still use a 1988-ish Yamaha KX88 controller, simply because to me, it still has the best action. Same for my KX76. If you look at my sig, I use lots of older synths because they're still viable, but more importantly, give me the things I really need and want in a synth. Things like aftertouch, a decent keyboard feel, and a sound I like. Kronos does, too.

That means that the Kronos is pretty much in in the Korg synth line for me. That's been a deal-breaker for me on almost every new synth to come out - along with those shitty, gelded, 4-octave keyboards - so I see no reason to just grab something simply because it's new.

..Joe
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
JPROBERTLA wrote:
That may all be true, but Korg and the new president can't be oblivious to the success of Kronos and the potential success of a replacement. They make a lot more profit selling a flagship workstation than they do a Volca. Not to mention the brand prestige.

How successful has Kronos been? As in - how many units sold? I'm not looking for speculation on that - I'm curious if anyone has the stats.

40,000+ based on serial numbers.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its time for the Kronos to be updated. Its processing capabilities are pathetically embarrassing considering today's technology. The boot time and display quality needs improved. Oh and add Bluetooth
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
Its time for the Kronos to be updated. Its processing capabilities are pathetically embarrassing considering today's technology. The boot time and display quality needs improved. Oh and add Bluetooth

no argument. I believe the processor [possibly the OS} puts a limit on polyphony. For example.

But all this extra goodness has a cost.

Would you pay $4000 for a powerful Kronos ?

This is a hypothetical, of course. The way I reason, is if I want something, I have to pay for it.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d pay up to $10k aussie dollar if it was a hybrid synth...part control surface similar to Moog knobs and switches on one side of the board and part large touch panel with the usual buttons etc on the other side of the keyboard.

Polyphony and spec in general would have to be increased significantly...64 bit, terabyte drives, larger touch screen etc.

The Moog One costs well over $10k in Australia...seems like sales have been good.

This new Korg Hybrid Station, should, well, include a Moog One in it Laughing along with all the other usual samples and Libraries.

Given there are so many of you who love the current KRONOS, Korg can continue to provide this keyboard for your wellbeing.

This new keyboard will be an Elite item in their arsenal of products...Good Heavens, we wouldn’t want them to stop production of their ‘mini’ and ‘micro’ products now would we, not to mention all the happy and gay looking penis tuners, and don’t forget, Kronos too, has now joined the happy gay colour party...I say more rainbow coloured leftard Kroni...bring it on till 2030.

By the way, this Hybrid Station should’nt be seen as a Kronos replacement but as a new product line.

Regards
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha just pushed the power of the $3000 Montage into a $1299 Modx. Korg should do the same with a Kronos to be competitive. McDonald's didn't become the #1 restaurant in the world by selling steaks. It was the 99cent BigMac.. Wink Look the the pc parts inside a Kronos they are worth nothing. Old scrap nobody wanted from the failed invention the Netbook.

GregC wrote:
Kronos2ison wrote:

no argument. I believe the processor [possibly the OS} puts a limit on polyphony. For example.

This is a hypothetical, of course. The way I reason, is if I want something, I have to pay for it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
Yamaha just pushed the power of the $3000 Montage into a $1299 Modx. Korg should do the same with a Kronos to be competitive. McDonald's didn't become the #1 restaurant in the world by selling steaks. It was the 99cent BigMac.. Wink Look the the pc parts inside a Kronos they are worth nothing. Old scrap nobody wanted from the failed invention the Netbook.

GregC wrote:
Kronos2ison wrote:

a few things you are touching on.

I totally agree, however its addressed, - Kronos ' should be ' cheaper.

I have high regard for Montage. ModX was a brilliant move - for the price.

2 things . Montage was highly priced for its value { IMO, not trying to rile up anyone]. My retail sources said Montage was not selling in volume.

If you accept both premises, Yamaha had to react. And they did successfully
with ModX.

finally, while the retail price tags { montage/Kronos] are similar, and they both have keys, etc. They differ in approach , design, and sound programming.

I like that they are ' more dissimilar ' than similar.

I also really like competition. If ModX inspires Korg to get their game on
to generate a Kronos " light " for $1299, that would be fun.

But it has not happened. Korg and Yamaha follow each other closely.

A simpler Kronos for $1299 ? What features are ' subtracted' might be a problem.

I wouldn't speculate on minimizing, anyway. The point was to improve power, processing, etc. It would be fantasy to expect that for $1299
lidserter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. But they had just released Krome Ex. I consider it below Kross 2 actually. I really don't understand the Krome Ex point... Nice look. Nice materials. Nice touchscreen. Soundwise? Same EDS-i as Kross, but without sampling, pad trigger, audio input, usb audio interface... i consider now the Kross 2 being closer to Kronos than Krome. 8 velocity layers per oscillator on krome vs 4 velocity layers on Kross. However, how many programs need that? And you can always use 2 oscillators for 8 levels of dynamics on a program in Kross.

I believe there should be a middle product within Kross and Kronos. And that one isn't a Krome.
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidserter wrote:
Intere

I believe there should be a middle product within Kross and Kronos. And that one isn't a Krome.

I agree. Korg could and ' should ' hit that middle spot. But they have not.
The window on doing something like has been open
for 1-2 years. Not complaining, just a note.

I go by what they emphasize as 'new" at NAMM in determining their priorities.
Same with Roland or Yamaha.
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just burned out on the Kronos owning two since it released. For me the Kronos feels like a pc playing samples exactly what it is. Sure they are good but lacking the creativity Yamaha offers boldly. The last 3 years I've been awaiting winter Namm for a beast to drop but we keep getting stupid colors as if it's a toy.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
I'm just burned out on the Kronos owning two since it released. For me the Kronos feels like a pc playing samples exactly what it is. Sure they are good but lacking the creativity Yamaha offers boldly. The last 3 years I've been awaiting winter Namm for a beast to drop but we keep getting stupid colors as if it's a toy.

This is IMO. I think software is the main story for NAMM 2019.

My favorite co for vision and making it happen is Spectrasonics.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidserter wrote:
I really don't understand the Krome Ex point... Nice look. Nice materials. Nice touchscreen. Soundwise? Same EDS-i as Kross, but without sampling, pad trigger, audio input, usb audio interface...

Krome EX is EDS-x, not EDS-i. Also, Kross has 128 mb of wave data, Krome has 4 GB.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
lidserter wrote:
I really don't understand the Krome Ex point... Nice look. Nice materials. Nice touchscreen. Soundwise? Same EDS-i as Kross, but without sampling, pad trigger, audio input, usb audio interface...

Krome EX is EDS-x, not EDS-i. Also, Kross has 128 mb of wave data, Krome has 4 GB.

Scott, thank you ! I admire your determination to correct a zombie [ January 2019] post Wink
PatrickD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg
ME Im headin for Nordville. Ever sit behind a tank Amazing equipment
CUBASE 11.5 Halion 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: