Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting and syncing MicroKORG XL+Volca Bass+Volca Sample

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelismail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Connecting and syncing MicroKORG XL+Volca Bass+Volca Sample Reply with quote

So I got a Volca Sample, Volca Bass and a microKORG XL now!

Playing electronic music is pretty new to me and I find myself drowning in an endless sea of information about the logistics of it.

Mixer: Behringer Xenyx 502

Audiopath:

All devices to the mixer, Main out to amplifier

Syncpath:

Microkorg midi-out to Volca Bass midi-in
Volca Bass sync-out to Volca Sample sync-in

It all works and syncs but the Microkorg dictates the tempo at the moment. I'd like to have my Volca sample dictate the tempo since the Microkorg XL has all different tempos on the patches.

The way it is setup now the Microkorg is triggering sound on the Volca Bass. the patches sound really different and when I play a note on the Microkorg and it overrules the bassline that is playing on the Volca Bass

Question 1: How do I set it up in a way that the Volca Sample dictates the tempo and the Volca Bass and Microkorg are slaves? (Volca Sample doesn't have a midi-out)

Question 2: Why is the MicroKORG triggering sounds on the bass? and how can I set it up in a way that both the MicroKORG and the Volca Bass are heard separately?

Thanks in advance!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Congrats with your setup!

Let's start with the easy one.

Q2: When you hit a key on the XL, it triggers the sound engine in the XL, but it also sends which note you hit over MIDI-OUT. If the Volca Bass responds to it, it means they are on the same MIDI channel.
Change the channel of the XL or the Volca Bass so that they are different. The Bass will afterwards ignore the note messages from the XL, but still sync on the tempo.

Q1: As you indicate, the Volca sample has no midi-out. Meaning the Volca Bass can be slaved to the Volca Sample (via the sync-in -> sync-out cable) or vice versa. But you can not slave the XL to one of the Volcas, as that one is only possible using MIDI-IN on the XL. You will need additional equipment for that purpose. Right off the top of my head, I can not give you a suggestion.

Just for my understanding. Why would you sync the XL to the other 2? As the XL has no sequences, sync is not really necessary I would think. Are you extensively using the arpeggiator maybe?

Possible solutions:
* Extra device with easy tempo configuration and MIDI-OUT + a MIDI-THRU box. The extra MIDI device would be the MIDI master (e.g. pc/tablet/phone) connected to the IN of the THRU box. The 3 other devices are then synced to the master via standard MIDI cables connected to the OUTs of the MIDI-THRU box.
* A pulse to MIDI clock converter, but I'm not sure it exists.
* mods to one of the volca (but to be checked). Few of the volcas have inside on the PCB a MIDI-OUT port but it is not brought out. If this can be installed AND the internal clock of the Volca is also sent over that (new) MIDI out, then you're there. A lot of conditions to be met and investigated... The mods require you to open the volcas and do some soldering...

Have fun!
joelismail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this, really appreciate it!

I just changed the MIDI channel of XL and it works like a charm! Smile

I indeed use the arpeggiator a lot (to make up for the little skills I have on a keyboard) but will hopefully need it less in the future. Wink

Regarding the XL, is it possible to change all the patches to a certain tempo all at once?

Again, thanks so much for the quick response!

All the best,

Joël
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Glad to help you further.

Unfortunately there is no way to change the tempo for all programs on the XL at once. Tempo is not a global parameter, but a parameter per program.
Well you could of course edit all the programs and store them again to have the tempo set to e.g. 120bpm, but that is only a solution if you play all your songs at 120 bpm. So not workable in a live performance.

That being said, you could prepare the XL. It has 128 locations for programs. Nothing prevents you to save your favorite programs several times, but each time with another tempo.

For both previous operations, I can advice you to use the editor on a PC.

It all depends also a bit on how you intend to do your performance. E.g. do you use one program per song? Do you switch programs during a song? (I'm wondering whether this does not cause a small hickup in the MIDI clock to the Volcas.) Do you change tempo during a song? Etc...

Have fun!
joelismail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your answer!

I see in your signature that you also own an SQ-1!

I'm thinking of buying it to sequence the Microkorg, do you have any experience with that?

I'm just wondering if I need an extra input in my mixer for that since I have no space left on my mixer (it only has four inputs and all are taken)

This would possibly also solve my problem with the different tempo patches ( I do like to switch a bit between patches while jamming) because I could use the SQ-1 as a master for the tempo, correct?

I also saw that the Midi-out on the SQ-1 is like a 3.5 mm minijack? Does Korg provide some sort of transition cable between those two when buying the SQ-1?

Thanks again for taking the time!

All the best,

Joël
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well actually, good point from you. I forgot that I have the SQ1 hanging around.

I made a similar setup as yours.

* SQ1 is clock master
* XL is slaved to the SQ1 over the MIDI cable
* Volca FM is slaved to SQ1 over the sync cable
* Monotribe is slaved to the Volca FM over the sync cable

They all follow the tempo of the SQ1. So it would solve your problem with the patches. Drawback is that you don't get a visual indication of the tempo. Granularity may be coarse as well. At least that is my feeling.
No need for an extra input on your mixer, as the SQ1 is a sequencer. It does not make any sound.
What also does not work: the XL is slaved to the SQ1 in tempo, but it does not forward that clock to the MIDI out (it does not support MIDI THRU).

The SQ1 comes with a breakout cable, converting 1/8 jack to DIN MIDI.

Have fun
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as we are busy...

The following setup works fine as well.

* Volca FM is clock master. It indicates nicely the BPM on the display.
* SQ1 is slaved to the Volca FM using the sync cable.
* MicroKorg XL is slaved to SQ1 using the MIDI cable
* Monotribe is slaved to the SQ1 using the sync cable

I.e. the SQ1 nicely picks up the tempo on its sync-in input and forwards it also to its MIDI-OUT and sync-out ports.
This works fine and is even closer to your initial setup.

Note that the SQ1 can be used to play a sequence as well on the microKorg at the same time.
My initial conclusion remains the same: you need extra equipment, but it's identified now: the SQ1. Smile

Bye.
joelismail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the info! I'll definitely get the SQ-1!

It will definitely add an extra dimension if I'm able to sequence the XL, and will solve my problems at a very reasonable pricepoint. Smile

All the best from Berlin,

Joël
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: