Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Sync doesn't work mate :-)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Volca Sync doesn't work mate :-) Reply with quote

well i'm running Sample and Keys, both set to 16 steps, with the Sample
playing 4/4 kick, and the Keys, just one note. what a mess. not hitting at
the same spot on each pass at all.

:- (

and let's talk about the fact that they don't start together either.
how are you supposed to do anything with that?

am i missing something?

it's doing 10steps to more or less pulse with the 4/4 on 1/1 setting.
this isn't right... wdfff... ??

these shoula definitely had some sort of dinsync. oh, and now it's lost it
completely... it's on the off-beat, ... drifting... not synced at all.
:- (

oh it's sort of syncing on 1/2. waiting for it to drift.
think i have the tempo set to max range though on the Keys though.
could be that.

still bloody annoying they don't start together.
i noticed a 'reset' label on the pcb. could anything be done with that?
looks like only destined to be used as slaved MIDI modules.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the reason for the non-sync was quite weird:
i was using a mono 1/8" to 1/4" cable for the audio out, into a mono input.
it's a stereo output anyway.

when i swapped for a stereo cable, problem went away.
so it was some sort of short, messing up the sync.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really weird that your audio cable should affect the sync. Have you any idea as to why it does?
I tend to use a TRS to TS cable for my Volca outputs to save on channels but have only ever noticed that affecting the quality of the Beats' output. I run the Volcas using MIDI from a BSP and don't even use the sequencer on the Beats preferring to trigger it's sounds via MIDI instead.
I've never synced my Volcas to each other and have only used the sync-out to run my Pocket Operators, for which they work brilliantly and perfectly on time, just need to remember to re-arm the PO's if I want them to start on the first step of their sequences.

I'd hazard a guess that the "reset" point on the pcb could be for adding a way to pull the sequence back to ready position similar to how DINsync works with a pulse sent to activate, but in the Korg 2 pulse per step format.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure it was because i used a mono cable out of a stereo output, into
a mono input - swapping cables was what fixed it anyway.

the Volca Sample has a Pan parameter, and an extra 8th Global setting for
Sync, letting it run at half speed (once a step, once every 2 steps)

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/370/2003/

note also that the sync socket is mono, whilst the cable is stereo.
does this suggest a short-to-ground creates the sync pulse? so
if ground is affected by using a mono cable on a stereo audio out,
a short to ground might happen there too.

i'll see if i can reproduce it. the Beats should be ok(i think...), it's a 2x mono output.
darenager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a well known issue, the common ground between the sync and audio sockets is why, with a mono plug you are effectively shorting the ring and tip together, meaning that the audio signal on the ring is going to ground causing it to put noise on the ground which will mess up the sync.

The solution if wanting to use a mono audio cable is to ensure that the ring is isolated from ground, you can make a cable or use adapters to achive this.
slug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Volca Sync doesn't work mate :-) Reply with quote

ShoNuff wrote:

and let's talk about the fact that they don't start together either.
how are you supposed to do anything with that?

Quite normal for sync. You can use it to be more creative and change for example where a baseline might be in relation to the beat, starting on the 2 instead of the 1 or whatever. In Eurorack there is often have a reset function with a second cable that allows aligning the 1 of all sync devices, but not every clock driven module does.

If you cant get past having to manually start your sequencers on the same position of the beat, use MIDI for your synchronisation as a start/stop message is contained in the digital information.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Volca Sync doesn't work mate :-) Reply with quote

slug wrote:

Quite normal for sync. You can use it to be more creative and change for example where a baseline might be in relation to the beat, starting on the 2 instead of the 1 or whatever. In Eurorack there is often have a reset function with a second cable that allows aligning the 1 of all sync devices, but not every clock driven module does.

If you cant get past having to manually start your sequencers on the same position of the beat, use MIDI for your synchronisation as a start/stop message is contained in the digital information.

that was posted a while ago now - i was perplexed why my sync wasn't working until i figured out it was the audio cable i was using. didn't expect it, because i'd resolved to make myself mono cables for all my volcas - see other thread on 1/8" to 1/4" -
this changes everything; back to the drawing board.

sync, yeah, i was aware of this, and currently use MIDI sync to start them together because that's the operation i wanted - i've seen the Reset pin on the PCB of ? the Bass? Need to get my head round how that would be used - but probably won't bother with it.
i can't remember if synced units wait for the unit at the top of the sync chain if that is synced by MIDI, slaved to another MIDI device. don't think they do, tried it a long time ago.

i plan to be using them more as sound modules sequenced by MIDI now, with the onboard sequencers as more of a bonus. something like that, anyway. maybe tap the MIDI outs, and send data into a midimerge, record that, see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: